Howa 1500 first build

Cman99

Private
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2019
Hey guys, first post, I am looking at building a Howa 1500 6.5 creedmore. I was looking at the 26 inch heavy barreled action and a Varmint stock from Bell and Carlson stock, trying to keep the total price around a grand. As this is my first build and my first experience with Howa, I figured I better ask opinions and thoughts on the build. Is Howa a good action and what kind of accuracy can I expect? Anything I need to know before I build the rifle?

1st off, Creedmoor!
Howa is a great Japanese action. Smooth, accurate and reliable.
Unfortunately not a ton of aftermarket support for them, it that’s ok if your trying to keep the build price low.

I bought one last summer..great rifle. I am planning on either chopping down the barrel or getting a new barrel for the rifle.

Action is smooth and she shoots great. Can't wait to suppress her, and start some less development

Legacy Sports, the distributor, guarantees one moa with match ammunition.

My two 6.5's both shoot into less than one inch at 200 yards. They are in MDT chassis. You might want to look at the Oryx chassis made by MDT or the KRG Bravo. Both better than the B&C IMHO. You will need to bed the B&C for optimal results. No need to bed a chassis.

Howa magazines are on the short side. The Howa's also have a long reach to the lands. Not a problem with factory ammunition. I stayed with the hinged floorplate on one in a GSR stock for the longer COAL.

I recently bought one off the PX in 223.

I havent loaded for it yet, but the Hornady 75g Black shoots about MOA, as does the Norma TAC 223. Looking to start loading for it soon, but so far it's a nice little rifle.

It's in an MPA BA Lite chassis which is rather fitting, but may be more than you want to spend.

Legacy Sports, the distributor, guarantees one moa with match ammunition.

My two 6.5's both shoot into less than one inch at 200 yards. They are in MDT chassis. You might want to look at the Oryx chassis made by MDT or the KRG Bravo. Both better than the B&C IMHO. You will need to bed the B&C for optimal results. No need to bed a chassis.

Howa magazines are on the short side. The Howa's also have a long reach to the lands. Not a problem with factory ammunition. I stayed with the hinged floorplate on one in a GSR stock for the longer COAL.
I like the looks of the KRG Bravo, especially the ability to make a hook at the bottom, is it magazine only though? I prefer my floorplate to a mag

I've built six different Howa 6.5 CM rifles from barreled actions. All have shot .5-75" easily with handloads. In some cases much better, but I would easily call them 3/4 moa rifles and with tuning, very likely capable of better than 1/2moa.

Actions are very strong, easy to bed if needed, and very smooth after being broken in. Very good choice for first bolt rifle!

In fact my backup competition rifle is a Howa 1500 action with a Criterion prefit barrel in a Manners T4A stock.

I like the looks of the KRG Bravo, especially the ability to make a hook at the bottom, is it magazine only though? I prefer my floorplate to a mag

I haven't tried it, but the barrelled action comes with the bottom metal and the hinged floor plate. It should drop right in. I just did this in a GSR Bezerker stock to get the COAL I need.

Buddy just put a KRG on his. Looks nice and feels great. He definitely wants the bag hook though.

Reactions: SpringThom
Built this one for under a grand (not including scope, suppressor, and bipod):
Brownells 24" 6.5 action
KRG Bravo Chassis
Quickload bolt knob
Nightforce 20moa rail

My goal is to do a Howa in .308, hopefully 24" and either an Oryx or Bravo. Brownells has the Howa Bravo already setup but I think with them putting the barrelled actions on sale from time to time I can save some cash that route.

My goal is to do a Howa in .308, hopefully 24" and either an Oryx or Bravo. Brownells has the Howa Bravo already setup but I think with them putting the barrelled actions on sale from time to time I can save some cash that route.

I'm seeing many of the Howa barrelled actions showing discontinued. Not sure how long this will last.

They represent remarkable value.

Watch for the 10% off codes when sales are running. Add another 6% off from Active Junky and it's hard not to buy one.

I messaged brownells yesterday and they said they were expecting another big shipment in June I think. Might have been July. Summer was my lasting impression
I’m glad to hear this. I picked up one of there 20 inch 308s and it shoots. I have been waiting for them to go on sale again to pick up a 6.5 creedmoor.

Howa's are good to go. Every one I've had has been sub moa. The statement that there isn't a lot of aftermarket support is incorrect. That may have been once true but is no longer the case. True, there aren't as many options as there are for the Remington 700 footprint, but there is plenty to choose from.

The Bell and Carlson stock with adjustable cheek comb and aluminum bedding block is a good option. If you fancy a chassis, the new Oryx may fit the bill.

I don't have one in 6.5 Creed, but have two varmint rifles (223 and 22-250), a S&W 1500 (Howa action) in 7mm Rem Mag, and a 243 Howa Chassis Rifle, they're all plenty precise.

The new HACT trigger can be awesome. Mine was a little heavy so I dropped a spring kit in it for $17. Breaks at 1.5 lbs now. There are also some good aftermarket trigger options if you decide to upgrade.
shot_1542897284380.jpg

Here is a 600 yard group from my 243 HCR with 87g VMaxs.

Reactions: stello1001
I recently bought one off the PX in 223.

I havent loaded for it yet, but the Hornady 75g Black shoots about MOA, as does the Norma TAC 223. Looking to start loading for it soon, but so far it's a nice little rifle.

It's in an MPA BA Lite chassis which is rather fitting, but may be more than you want to spend.

Most of the older and current .223's are 9 twist except for recent production mini action .223's which are 8 twist.

I'm hoping new production of the short action .223 will also be 8 twist.

Nine twist might be a bit slow for 75 grain bullets unless you are at higher elevation.

Guess im placing an order then, thanks for the help and opinions, I will post again when she comes in and when I get the stock on, also looks like the Bravo is not offered in green for the Howa, shame.

Last edited:
I used krylon khaki and brown (their camo/earth colors). Painted lines that were about a hands width wide, alternating colors. Once that dried, I wrapped the whole rifle in a mesh laundry bag, and put zip ties through it to pull the bag tight all the way around the gun. Repeated the hand width lines routine, but opposite colors from what I put down before (I.e.- the the first coat was brown, the second was khaki, and so on). Let it dry for an hour or so, cut the ties and pull the bag. Let it dry over night and your good to go.

Obviously tape off what you don’t want painted, or paint to get into. Paint the bolt using the same method, but separate from the rifle. Cover the bolt head and body with painters tape

My build is gaining cost quickly :LOL:. Ordered action tonight, soon as I get paid I will get the KRG Bravo and 2 mags. Then I need a rail, is there a big difference in aluminium and steel for fairly heavy use?

My build is gaining cost quickly :LOL:. Ordered action tonight, soon as I get paid I will get the KRG Bravo and 2 mags. Then I need a rail, is there a big difference in aluminium and steel for fairly heavy use?

With a steel receiver and steel scope rings, I would use a steel rail.

The MDT rail is not expensive and works fine on my Howa actions. I like the recoil lug built into the rail.

25 inch pounds should be about right.

Enjoy your new rifle.

I've been running this one for a few years now. ~1600 rounds down the tube. KRG 180 X-ray (or something) chassis and the timney trigger. Factory 140 ELD-M shoot ~5/8 MOA. Handload 147 ELD-M's with H4350 consistently do under 1/2 MOA. It's seen quite a bit of dust and cold without any issues.

I've been using the EGW 20 MOA aluminum base since it was new. JB Weld bedded the base to the receiver and haven't had any issues.
https://www.brownells.com/optics-mo...rd-short-action-hd-scope-bases-prod87816.aspx

I'm building a Howa 1500/KRG. I ordered the $40 plastic mag well/trigger guard from Brownells. After looking through reviews of the Legacy rifles already built, the trigger guards look metal? Are they the $210 CDI? If they are, so much for saving $200 screwing it together myself :confused:

I'm building a Howa 1500/KRG. I ordered the $40 plastic mag well/trigger guard from Brownells. After looking through reviews of the Legacy rifles already built, the trigger guards look metal? Are they the $210 CDI? If they are, so much for saving $200 screwing it together myself :confused:

The KRG bravo has a trigger guard included in the chassis. No need to buy one separately, it wont work on the bravo anyways.

No kidding? Thanks! Looks like I got a return going back to brownells.
Yep, true story. It comes with everything pictured here. All you should need is a barreled action to put into the bravo and an aics pattern mag to feed it.

That plastic bottom metal is for converting a factory howa stock bdl floor plate into a factory dbm. The bravo removes that need.

You can buy the bravo for 450 bucks (howa is more expensive than the rem700 model) and barreled action from brownells for ~450 for a total around 900 plus a mag. So right about 1k all said and done.

Or you can buy the "Howa Bravo" which comes all together with a mag for ~950-1100

Depending on which particular chambering and barrel length you want it may be cheaper to get them separately or to get them together.

I think you already have the howa in 6.5 creed though? In that case all you would need is the chassis and a mag and your current barreled action should drop right in.

I bought the 6.5CM barreled action and KRG bravo from Brownells. Got the action yesterday. KRG is supposed to be here today, but Fedex messed up and it's not here. I already got the trigger down to 1lb 11oz today as well as mounted a 20moa warne 1 piece base. Nightforce SHV 4x14-50 F1 scope on order along with Burris XTR rings (hope medium works). 2 Magpul AICS mags and a couple boxes of Hornady American Gunner 140gr ammo. I should be ready to hit the range as soon as school starts for the kids!

Reactions: spife7980
Been working on loads for mine, and believe I found a decent one with the 140 eld-m rounds. Averaging just under half inch at 100 yards so far. I have the American flag chassis and wish I would have found the grs stocked version. Though honestly with the bravo on my 22-250 Remington I enjoy it quite a bit. Have been considering about selling off the chassis system and get something else.