Howa 20” Heavy Barrel .308 Velocity Question

hoop12

Private
Minuteman
Jul 9, 2018
Texas
Hey guys, just wondering about what type of muzzle velocity you guys have experienced. Have a 20” heavy barrel .308 Howa and haven’t had much chance to shoot it.

Took it to 500 last weekend, but had no muzzle velocity data at all. Winchester Super X 150gr was what I was shooting (not ideal but available at the local Walmart in the small town I was in) and worked down off of that muzzle velocity.

Long story short, what velocities are you guys getting out of the same or similar set up rifle with similar weight projectiles?

Awesome, thanks for that. The box of ammo said 2820, which I assumed was out of a 24” barrel. Worked off of 2600 to start and was high at 500 so I’m trying to get a better idea of where I’m at until can get it on a chronograph.

With my 20in Howa 308 with 168 fgmm I was getting 2520. My handloads with 178 hornady bthp I was getting an average of 2515.
I figured the 168 fgmm would have been a little faster. I just got some 175 Berger’s to try out. I’ll load those up with some imr4046 and Varget and see what I get.

Awesome, thanks for that. The box of ammo said 2820, which I assumed was out of a 24” barrel. Worked off of 2600 to start and was high at 500 so I’m trying to get a better idea of where I’m at until can get it on a chronograph.
You dont need a chrono. Measure your correction at 500 and adjust your speed on a free ballistic app until it matches your real come up and there it is.

a little heavier but here you go.
Remington 700 5R 20” with factoty FGMm 175gr 2500fps
Tikka CTR 20” same ammo 2530 fps

i have several more factory 168 hunting loads i tested and trued at 500 yards written down in my log.I will post them this evening for you.

I appreciate it! I adjusted my come up on the fly without the app I used. App said 5.1 MILs, I was high, came down to 4.5 and was still high, 4 had me hitting the steel. I’ll have to go back into the app and do like you said.