• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Howa mini action into short action stock

Jojo417

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 30, 2023
Joplin Missouri
I’m looking at a howa mini action chambered in 6mm arc to build a budget PRS setup for my wife. The problem I’m having is the lack of stock/chassis options for the mini action. That’s being said, has anyone put a mini action into a short action chassis?

There is nearly an inch difference in the bolt lengths. The integral recoil lug/front action screw is going to dictate that it remains in place, so all of the work would be behind the action. If you had a competent tig welder, if feasible that you could cut the chassis and tig it back together. It would require that the action be used as a fixture.

There is a New Zealander that has a mini chassis, I don't know if he ever found someone to import them.

Attachments

• IMG_4775.png
    IMG_4775.png
    31.3 KB · Views: 23
Thanks for some of the suggestions. Nothing really meets my needs. I don’t like chassis that use an ar15 style buffer tube and stock. The stockies stock looks nice but doesn’t have an adjustable cheek riser for the mini action. All of the light weight stuff does nothing for me, I want something heavier to help manage recoil easier.

The oryx seems to be the closest to what I need. I just thing they’re ugly and I’m not sure about quality.

I’m capable of doing the fabrication work. I do a lot of fabrication for race cars on the side. Cages, turbo kits, etc. so that’s not the problem. I was looking for some ideas to see if anyone has done something similar.

If you like the Stocky's style, you could always have Joe Ducos install an adjustable cheek riser.

Also, on the JTAC elf owl, you can use a picatinny mount instead of the AR tube.

I agree the Oryx is ugly, but they are made well. The only issue is the height of the cheek piece gets in the way of cleaning.

I had a oryx the quality was fine. I bought one of those and a Stockysstocks VG carbon. The boys preferred the stockysstocks over the factory modified, and mdt.

The stockysstocks has a short lop. Just under 13" and I needed to open up the barrel channel with some sandpaper. Other then that it was a great deal for $300 and half hour of my time.

You can always go ar15. You can put one together for about the same money with endless options. Putting together a sub moa ar15 is about as easy as falling out of a boat and landing on water these days with the barrels everyone is putting out. I also don't think that it's a disadvantage in the prs world. I realize the top guys are running bolt guns, but good ar shooters are turning is scores that aren't that far off.