• Site Updates Coming Monday

We’re planning to start making changes bright and early on Monday so you might see the site down fir a bit, but no worries, we’ll make our changes and be back as soon as we can!

VIEW THREAD
  • Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

HOWA TRAKR .22LR

D0ntTr3@d0nM3

Private
Minuteman
May 5, 2024
Texas
Does anyone own this rifle or have any insight/impressions on it? I recently bought a MPA Matrix rifle 6.5 CM, but I won't see it for 16-18 weeks.
I still need to learn fundamentals and everything about shooting basically so I decided to buy a .22LR to practice with until my other rifle comes. This is the one I am considering. Also will I have any issues mounting a scope to this? I can't tell if the sights that come it are removable or not.

I might consider a CZ457 or even Ruger Precision rimfire, better resale and more closely mirrors the MPA

Reactions: LR1845
That's good to know. I am not neccissarly trying to mirror my MPA. I am mostly just trying to grab something for as cheap as I can that's not complete trash to practice with until I get it. I've never owned/shot a bolt action rifle before so I have a lot to learn about shooting and adjusting a scope etc.

As other’s have said, the Ruger Precision Rimfire is a better choice and can be found for under $500. It is ultimately upgradable. The CZ is a fine rilfe. Savage makes a little precision rifle in .22lr that is very inexpensive.

Learning fundamentals is important, but to learn, one needs decent equipment. And learning fundamentals really can only be done with proper equipment. If the trigger is not up to the task and/or the barreled action is simply not up to the task of delivering decent accuracy, how would a fellow know that he was not doing the task. Plus, as you get more and more into precision shooting, the precision .22’s are downright addicting.

Not saying your choice is a bad choice, but I believe as others have already spoken, there are much better choices.

Final thought. I want to compliment @D0ntTr3@d0nM3 for asking before jumping in rather than making a purchase and then asking if he made a good choice.

You’ll enjoy the MPA.

As other’s have said, the Ruger Precision Rimfire is a better choice and can be found for under $500. It is ultimately upgradable. The CZ is a fine rilfe. Savage makes a little precision rifle in .22lr that is very inexpensive.

Learning fundamentals is important, but to learn, one needs decent equipment. And learning fundamentals really can only be done with proper equipment. If the trigger is not up to the task and/or the barreled action is simply not up to the task of delivering decent accuracy, how would a fellow know that he was not doing the task. Plus, as you get more and more into precision shooting, the precision .22’s are downright addicting.

Not saying your choice is a bad choice, but I believe as others have already spoken, there are much better choices.

Final thought. I want to compliment @D0ntTr3@d0nM3 for asking before jumping in rather than making a purchase and then asking if he made a good choice.

You’ll enjoy the MPA.
Thanks I appreciate it. Honestly the reason I picked that Howa Trakr is because of the price. The price is also one of the reasons I asked before buying it lol. I do want something to train with, but without compromising quality. The others reasons of course are because I respect and appreciate y'alls opinions and expertise on these matters that I know next to nothing about. To be honest I was hoping I could just use my AR-15 rifle in meantime to learn the fundamentals on. The skills in adjusting a scope and adjusting shooting posture/position and controlling breathing and everything must be transferable between AR-15s and bolt action rifles even a bolt action rifle might be better quality and more accurate. The general consensus of people I ask tend to frown on the idea of using my AR-15 to learn fundamentals and always counter suggest using a .22LR

If you all also disagree with the idea then I can consider the Ruge RPR or CZ. The savages in some cases are cheaper than the Trakr would they still be a better option?

Thanks again.

There are certain fundamentals of a Bolt rifle that are different from those on an AR platform. The triggers are different, how follow through works and what you shooting position needs to be for comfortable follow-on shots as well as other actions. Yes the basics of using a scope are the same but the two platforms are different and require some adjustment.. The rifle you suggested is more suited for backpacking and shooting a passing squirrel. it will not drive the change you are looking for. But as said it takes some guts to ask like you did, well done!

We bought some to replace the worn out Marlin rifles that we mainly used for our Hunter Understanding National Training Scheme (H.U.N.T.S.) programme. We are the largest N.Z.D.A. Branch and we run our annual course during the Southern Hemisphere spring. It was a no-brainer, as a Committee member, to approve the purchase BUT I agree—partly because of that horrible plastic stock—that a CZ457 would be a better choice for a personal Rimfire rifle if you intend to work on your marksmanship skills.
There is a special—more expensive—target stock version of the Howa which is much nicer but that is a different story.

Reactions: oldrifleman
There are certain fundamentals of a Bolt rifle that are different from those on an AR platform. The triggers are different, how follow through works and what you shooting position needs to be for comfortable follow-on shots as well as other actions. Yes the basics of using a scope are the same but the two platforms are different and require some adjustment.. The rifle you suggested is more suited for backpacking and shooting a passing squirrel. it will not drive the change you are looking for. But as said it takes some guts to ask like you did, well done!
@oldrifleman , @Dead Eye Dick - what do you think about this rifle instead then?
and pairing it with
for a rifle to simply learn fundamentals on?

My opinion, much better with just a bit more money. Perfect no, the trigger is iffy, but all in all better. Can you handle one in person? It helps if the stock is comfortable for you.
Welcome to the addiction 😁

Reactions: ZG47A
My opinion, much better with just a bit more money. Perfect no, the trigger is iffy, but all in all better. Can you handle one in person? It helps if the stock is comfortable for you.
I can always swap the stock out later on if it isn't optimal. I think these have the Remington 700 platform correct?
Welcome to the addiction 😁
Yeah I am seeing that now. It never ends. Because now I have to get into reloading too so I can keep ammo costs down for my 6.5 CM rifle that I've got coming. I'll need glass for the .22LR and glass for my 6.5CM I've got coming, and probably a bipod, sturdy case, front and rear sand bags.

Do you think that scope I linked is worth getting? I know it is not very expensive.

It has issues, but it will work and you will learn what you will want in the 6.5 scope. Not sure what your AR platforms have for optics, this has warts but it will teach you. Read, ask and go to ranges to observe/shoot/try and Learn. Above all else ENJOY, shooting is fun, things that go bang are fun, being outside with a rifle should make us happy!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Modoc and ZG47A