• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Hungarian FEG/SVD

dogma338

Private
Minuteman
Mar 23, 2020
Purchased the Atlantic Firearms FEG/SVD. Going to run S&B 174 Gr HPBT. Anyone running anything different and getting good results?
Thx much…

Attachments

• IMG_2489.jpeg
    IMG_2489.jpeg
    350.9 KB · Views: 76
the winchester is made by S&B so if you can get that it is another option. PPU is ok at best. But the brass is very good. S&B/Win brass has weird primer pockets. They are a little shallow and very tight. Not crimp but the diameter is smaller than what we use for primers. They will work but you will see if you reload.

Any powder that works for 308win will work in the 54r. 4895 and varget are 2 of my favorites. I reload for several Finn Mosins but not a semi auto. The 174gr bullets are awesome but hard to get. Hornady was also making them but they are not doing it now. Don't be afraid of the Hornady FMJ bullet. It shoots almost as good as the 174gr HPBT

Reactions: BCP
Well,
I haven’t been to the range yet, still researching the ammo. It’s pretty, lol. Seems well made, forged receiver not stamped, wondering if it’s Russian parts rebranded…? I’ll report back on it as a shooter in October, I have to book our 1000 yd range…If Atlantic doesn’t import a ton of them I think it will hold its collector value…..Worth 8500.00…I think it’s more subjective at this point than objective/-As a shooter, 8500.00 will buy more accuracy than the SVD will probably deliver….
~J

the winchester is made by S&B so if you can get that it is another option. PPU is ok at best. But the brass is very good. S&B/Win brass has weird primer pockets. They are a little shallow and very tight. Not crimp but the diameter is smaller than what we use for primers. They will work but you will see if you reload.

Any powder that works for 308win will work in the 54r. 4895 and varget are 2 of my favorites. I reload for several Finn Mosins but not a semi auto. The 174gr bullets are awesome but hard to get. Hornady was also making them but they are not doing it now. Don't be afraid of the Hornady FMJ bullet. It shoots almost as good as the 174gr HPBT
Thank you sir for responding, I appreciate the detailed comments. I’ll report back after my range date in October.
~J

Well,
I haven’t been to the range yet, still researching the ammo. It’s pretty, lol. Seems well made, forged receiver not stamped, wondering if it’s Russian parts rebranded…? I’ll report back on it as a shooter in October, I have to book our 1000 yd range…If Atlantic doesn’t import a ton of them I think it will hold its collector value…..Worth 8500.00…I think it’s more subjective at this point than objective/-As a shooter, 8500.00 will buy more accuracy than the SVD will probably deliver….
~J
If only we had Euro pricing on these man, a Izmash Tigr in .308 win would be a great deer hunting rifle.

Reactions: dogma338
The Vepr rifles in 7.62x54 and .308win are excellent shooters. Particularly the 20inch barreled 7.62x54. Unfortunately the 54r Vepr only comes with single stack magazines. The .308 uses double stack.

Reactions: dogma338