Hunting Bipod

1typical1

Private
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2020
Good morning, looking for recommendations on a all around hunting bipod. I have used Harris bipods forever, however I see so many better looking ones out there. Thanks Jeff ~

depends on your height requirements, but the Hatch is pretty nice. Where I hunt you'll often encounter some type of ground clutter or grass, so the hatch being sitting /kneeling height is a great plus.

Never found a bipod helpful when hunting. If i absolutely need to lie prone, for whatever reason, ill use my kifaru pack as a makeshift rest. But since i already use a tripod for glassing, i installed arca rails into my hunting rifles and use my rrs with anvil 30 as a rifle rest. Locks up super solid, quickly detatches and attaches, and i can go from prone to kneeling to standing within seconds. And can shoot from a 45 degree angle on a sloped mountain if need be.

Never found a bipod helpful when hunting. If i absolutely need to lie prone, for whatever reason, ill use my kifaru pack as a makeshift rest. But since i already use a tripod for glassing, i installed arca rails into my hunting rifles and use my rrs with anvil 30 as a rifle rest. Locks up super solid, quickly detatches and attaches, and i can go from prone to kneeling to standing within seconds. And can shoot from a 45 degree angle on a sloped mountain if need be.

Depends alot on were you hunt and terrain, a place I have hunted in South Texas we would drive around the ranch and glass for hogs to see were they were staying.
Then put out corn in the road to get them out of the brush so you could park 3-400 yards away and sneak up within a 70-80 yards of them and lay down in the road and pop one behind the ear with a 22 win mag.
Also shot off the hood of vehicle quite a bit in the Sendero cuts.

I'm surprised nobody has said: SWAGGER!!! I watch a lot of the Lucky Duck coyote hunting videos....and love the Revolt caller....but the bipods they pimp...I just don't think I could do it.

I use an old Harris that extends out to something like two plus feet for hunting. Helps me get a steady hold when I’m sitting up against a tree. I’ve never been able to hunt anything from the prone position so I leave my TBAC at home when hunting. This old Harris was only about $90 way back when I bought it.

Edited to add: Wow that Hatch bipod is badass, never seen one before now. Seems perfect for hunting.

I finally came to the realization the only time I ever used a bipod was out at the square range. Now I just carry the RRS 34 with Anvil 30 head. It’s much more versatile, and offers greater stability for seated/kneeling/standing shots. Plus dual role for observation.

I guess it all depends on your terrain, but that’s what works for me.

Could be off base but I think your recoil management is lacking. There’s lots of info out there

seems relevant enough to discuss. obviously I'm bias but I really don't think thats the case. theres always the chance, and I know a lot of people fall apart when they shoot magnums. ill be shooting my CAL on my 7mm mag this next week so I guess we'll see.

In the case that it is recoil management, would it be to too much forward pressure? I can tell you its not hopping because of too little.

Id like to do some ivestigating on my Harris but there are a number of QC issues that have lead to accuracy issues which is why I was so quick to blame the bipod. especially after groups tightened up when i shot off my bag.

Pressure makes a difference. Being square to the rifle also makes a big difference. I know shooting a lot of 223 let’s me get sloppy then x51 and magnum cartridges really exploit the sloppy fundamentals. For me.

It might be worth checking out a triple pull Cyke-Pod for hunting. Its pretty pricey but at 36 inches max height, it gives enough extension that you should be able to use it for prone, sitting or kneeling.

I am considering one for myself but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

I've got a Harris (from about '96) that rides on my A Bolt II .25-06 for hunting. I wish I could remember the model (too lazy to dig it out). It is a touch long when shooting prone, but doable, and perfect for sitting under a tree. When you could still find them, I whacked a truckbed full of groundhogs shooting off that old Harris.
Whenever carrying anything else (mostly either of my Ruger #1's), I just carry an old Stoney Point monopod.
Typically, where I hunt anymore, 300 yards is gonna be a looong chop.......

Like others, for hunting I have left the bipod at home and run a tripod and Anvil 30. I already have it for glassing, and leaving rhe bipod and upgrading the tripod didn't really change my weight much.

I like the Modular Evolution bipod for hunting. Its the carbon fiber one, if I knew it would be used, but a pack is usually enough.

I have a couple Atlas PSR and a super CAL. I like their design in general. I can move the legs further forward or back if I need to get the front of the gun low or extend the legs if I need it up high. I don't use them much, but I also have the leg extensions if I need some extra height. I think they're nice to have, but the need for them doesn't come up much where I hunt the most.

Best bipod for I've found for hunting;
1. TBAC with 1 set of extensions. Very light weight.
2. Any Ckye-Pod iteration. Down side, weight

The secret to any bipod to be used for hunting, is height. Depending where you hunt, grass or vegetation can be tall. Hills can be steep. I could go on and on. I always have a bipod with me, but more than likely end up shooting off a bag on a tree, rock, etc; or as others have said, off the tripod

Reactions: Solby
I don’t see how there’s much of a need for a bipod in a hunting scenario... At least out of a deer stand or while humping around the mountains after elk/mulies. You either rest the rifle on your deer stand or use a tripod.

Not really a one or the other more a addition to your suggestions.
I've yet to see any/many carrying a 6 pound tripod above treeline.
YMMV

R

That’s why I sold my PIG0311-G tripod and got their carbon fiber model that’s 3.6 lbs 😉

Even better; gun on the tripod, with your pack/sleeping bag/puffy jacket for elbow stability.

Next elk hunt, the tripod is coming with me.
I cannot think of a situation where I could’ve ever proned out with a bipod and saw anything.

Reactions: 260284
That’s why I sold my PIG0311-G tripod and got their carbon fiber model that’s 3.6 lbs 😉

Even better; gun on the tripod, with your pack/sleeping bag/puffy jacket for elbow stability.

Next elk hunt, the tripod is coming with me.
I cannot think of a situation where I could’ve ever proned out with a bipod and saw anything.
Have an older manfrotto about the same weight.
No arca rail gizmo yet though.

R

Im going through the same bought right now, I am building a pork sword rifle.
My primary rest will be a tripod with arca. But I am going to run a bipod as well. Something really light weight Thinking about this limbsaver because of the weigh and functionality, for when I want to take something at very long ranges I have that prone option. .
Also considering the Swagger Stell banger bipod.

I have an Atlas which is overall quite good as you can pan/tilt, but the leg extension collars are fiddly... I'm very interested in an MDT Ckye bipod which looks to be a big improvement, but a gen 2 is due to arrive soon so I'm waiting on that.

I use my Pack if you need to be prone. And some folding aluminum or carbon shooting sticks for everything else. Weigh nothing and you aren't carrying another pound on your rifle. Half the time in timber your just up on a tree anyways. If you over looking a meadow or something your most likely sitting and need to be above the grass. Bipods don't do anything for me on western big game hunts. (Elk, Deer). Just my experience from having Atlas and other bipods in the field that end up coming off and never being used other then on bench guns. Just my opinion and experience of course. I do put in a lot of miles though so trimming that extra fat is a necessity.

I have used an Atlas V8 on mountain hunts. I’ve made shots on elk from 600-700 prone off the bipod, and zeroed in on others at 900 (but decided not to shoot). I probably could have made those shots off my pack as well, but I don’t totally discount the bipod. If you are in a lot of timber, a bipod doesn’t make much sense. But if you are hunting a lot of open meadows, valleys and whatnot- I’d still take my bipod. For max weight reduction, yeah the bipod gets axed and I just use my pack.

Best bipod for I've found for hunting;
1. TBAC with 1 set of extensions. Very light weight.
2. Any Ckye-Pod iteration. Down side, weight

The secret to any bipod to be used for hunting, is height. Depending where you hunt, grass or vegetation can be tall. Hills can be steep. I could go on and on. I always have a bipod with me, but more than likely end up shooting off a bag on a tree, rock, etc; or as others have said, off the tripod
I just got a set of the leg extensions for my TBAC and it made a big difference hunting out here in wyoming. I found between the grass and wearing a bino harness, I couldn't get as low as I could practicing this summer.

Reactions: mm509
I just got a set of the leg extensions for my TBAC and it made a big difference hunting out here in wyoming. I found between the grass and wearing a bino harness, I couldn't get as low as I could practicing this summer.

True. I generally shoot at the range with the bipod all the way collapsed or one notch out, but when hunting it's usually extended all the way. Going prone with a bino chest harness is easy to do, but you're right, you need several extra inches to make it work.