Hunting loads with CFE 223?

Anyone using this powder for hunting loads? Curios how it does with the temp. differences at most hunting distances?

I have a varget load with 85 bthp for my 6 arc bolt gun but wont to run 108's with my 16" AR and varget wont be very fast for that.
Get LeverEvolution... Much more stable powder. I use CFE223 in my 6.5 Grendle, but had I started using Lever before CFE223, I'd have just stuck with Lever.

Get LeverEvolution... Much more stable powder. I use CFE223 in my 6.5 Grendle, but had I started using Lever before CFE223, I'd have just stuck with Lever.
Im guessings its best with these powders to not load towards the top end during cooler weather so that you dont have pressure issues when it gets warm again?

Im guessings its best with these powders to not load towards the top end during cooler weather so that you dont have pressure issues when it gets warm again?
That's why it's best to develop loads in the summer. They'll typically shoot fine in the winter, too. I develop hunting loads in the winter (during hunting season), so I know they'll perform properly without any surprises.

I still want to hit where Im aiming. I dont want a 4moa deer load like the old fellers at my range like to use.
Yeah, that’s not how it works. You gain or lose speed generally. As far as I’ve noticed in my experience anyway. I’ve not had a round go from 0.75-1 MOA to 4 at 100-200 yards.
Here’s something to peruse if you want.

Reactions: supercorndogs
I think most people loading for grendel have used or still use cfe as it gives great speeds, at the cost of temp stability of course. The 6 arc is not far from the grednel in terms of powders used and case design, etc.

You'll be fine. Yes it's going to vary a bit with Temps cooling down but deer have fairly large vitals. At least large enough to not matter much for the changes you'll experience.

I think someone else mentioned it already, you're not gonna be off too much. I'm also going to assume you're hurting inside 300 yards. If I'm off, it's because that info is not noted in the OP.

I use tac, but like previously mentioned, lever will be good too. Don't sweat it too much though. Develop a load that shoots good and acceptable for you, and stick with it and have fun.

Reactions: Jmccracken1214
I think most people loading for grendel have used or still use cfe as it gives great speeds, at the cost of temp stability of course. The 6 arc is not far from the grednel in terms of powders used and case design, etc.

You'll be fine. Yes it's going to vary a bit with Temps cooling down but deer have fairly large vitals. At least large enough to not matter much for the changes you'll experience.

I think someone else mentioned it already, you're not gonna be off too much. I'm also going to assume you're hurting inside 300 yards. If I'm off, it's because that info is not noted in the OP.

I use tac, but like previously mentioned, lever will be good too. Don't sweat it too much though. Develop a load that shoots good and acceptable for you, and stick with it and have fun.
300-350 is max shot where I sit, but I bait them around 100 yards.

Reactions: stello1001
Why not use 90 or 95g bullets? Ger that velocity up. For 350y it's not going to make much diffrence.
It is for this reason I prefer slightly lesser weight bullets in hunting scenarios.

It is also going to be a much flatter trajectory inside the 300 yards he will hunt.

Somebody else mentioned it, heating and chilling some rounds and being able to read their Temps accurately could be a nice test and see how they group.

Reactions: Jmccracken1214
Why not use 90 or 95g bullets? Ger that velocity up. For 350y it's not going to make much diffrence.
Ill try my varget/85 load it in it. Going by hornady book, its still safe in my AR even though its max load for bolt gun.

29.5 varget for bolt gun. gas gun actually says 29.7 for the 85 bullet. Hopefully itll shoot half as good as my bolt gun.

If I were going to use CFE-223 in a hunting rig it would be a short-range (250 and in) rifle due to the temperature sensitivity. I would also do load development in similar temperatures to hunting conditions if that were possible.

I purposely choose temperature stable powders for hunting loads, even if it means I'm giving up a bit of performance.

Reactions: stello1001