• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Hunting rifle stock: Need advice

MK20

Major Member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 17, 2018
    The land of many waters
    I am planning on building up a rifle for hunting next year. I already have a Rem 700 short action and will be putting a remage barrel on it in 6.5 Creedmoor. I Would prefer a relatively light hunting style stock that has LOP and comb adjustments. I would like it to be conducive to accuracy as well. I would entertain a hybrid hunting / tactical stock as well but am trying to avoid having a full on chassis on my hunting rifle setup.
    I basically want a lightweight, accurate setup.
    Any advice would be appreciated. Would like to keep the price below 500 which should give me a pretty decent budget.
    Thanks

So basically I want everything but I dont want to pay for it.

Adjustable length of pull and comb aren't default in a traditional stock, I would expect to pay your 500 budget just on adding that onto any stock.
    An add on limb saver and a triad stock pack are easy answers if you get a traditional stock.

A chassis would be the most affordable way to go about getting all of that adjustment. Something like the KRG bravo has spacers for the length of pull adjustment and an adjustable cheek piece. It keeps the more traditional butt stock profile (and cold metal cheek piece) while incorporating a more vertical grip.
    https://kineticresearchgroup.com/product/bravo-chassis/
    1543857641682.png

MDt also has their oryx for preorder that has the adjustment in it for under 400 bucks.
    https://oryxchassis.com/
    1543857729291.png

The grayboes and BCs and H&S stocks can be great for unde that price. They will just be more expensive to add all the other shit onto.

So basically I want everything but I dont want to pay for it.

Adjustable length of pull and comb aren't default in a traditional stock, I would expect to pay your 500 budget just on adding that onto any stock.
    An add on limb saver and a triad stock pack are easy answers if you get a traditional stock.

A chassis would be the most affordable way to go about getting all of that adjustment. Something like the KRG bravo has spacers for the length of pull adjustment and an adjustable cheek piece. It keeps the more traditional butt stock profile (and cold metal cheek piece) while incorporating a more vertical grip.
    https://kineticresearchgroup.com/product/bravo-chassis/
    View attachment 6980020

MDt also has their oryx for preorder that has the adjustment in it for under 400 bucks.
    https://oryxchassis.com/
    View attachment 6980022

The grayboes and BCs and H&S stocks can be great for unde that price. They will just be more expensive to add all the other shit onto.
    I'm probably going this route for a hunting stock. Seems to fit the bill and is within your price point

Thanks for all the input. I haven’t seen that oryx before. That looks interesting just on general principles. I have seen the KRG stuff and own some of it but wanted to see what else was out there. I need to explore the McMillan stuff more. I have not been happy with the Magpul hunter stocks at all.

The Magpul hunter 700 w/ Bottom Metal/Polymer. Very little complaints on my Long Action. Biggest gripe, wish the palm swells were bigger.
    Same. And I wish the fore end wasn't quite so clunky. And I wish I hadn't had to grind down the cheek riser to get the damn bolt out. But it was cheap. Got it on sale for 220.

I'd get a GRS Berserk. Call Eurooptic, they'll knock the price down. It's 3 pounds, but so are most of the other options listed. Unless you go carbon fiber and pay way more. The Berserk is super comfortable and fully adjustable. Does not require bedding.

-Stooxie

I personally have not used this particular stock, but you may want to look at the Boyds At-One stocks. Maybe this will fulfil your want of a hybrid stock that has adjustable LOP and comb.

I just received a Stocky's VG2. This is an AG Composites-made stock and it is crazy light! I love the feel of the painted texture it balances well on my Origin/Proof build. It definitely require epoxy bedding, as the inletting is generous. Overall, it's fantastic and I had it in four days. Throw a Triad Stock Pack and you've got your adjustable comb. It still leaves you hanging on LOP though.