Hunting scope-simple reticle

BigRed308

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2019
Needing some advise from the hide. Looking for a scope to but on a 308 hunting build.

I’d like a MOA scope with illuminated reticle, simple reticle-no Christmas trees, FFP unless it’s a standard duplex reticle, 44-50mm objective-wanting good light transmission for low light.

I was getting ready to pull the trigger on a vortex, razor HD LHT until I looked at the reticle and it’s just way too busy for me. Now I found some VX5 but wanted to know what other options are before pulling the trigger.

I’d like a MOA scope with illuminated reticle, simple reticle-no Christmas trees, FFP unless it’s a standard duplex reticle, 44-50mm objective-wanting good light transmission for low light.
The Maven RS1.2 is the top dog in that price range you mentioned with those features. The SHR-W (MOA) reticle sound like what you want as well. It passed droptesting and other durability testing over on RS too.

Reactions: tacoman69
I’m amazed how complicated “the Hunter” tries to make the optical/reticle choice.

FFP tree reticles for hunting…with most FFP without a usable reticle until 10x…square peg in a round hole.

Reactions: JS8588
I’m amazed how complicated “the Hunter” tries to make the optical/reticle choice.

FFP tree reticles for hunting…with most FFP without a usable reticle until 10x…square peg in a round hole.

The tree reticle are just too much going on when I want to focus on the animal. I’m more than likely to have plenty of time to dial elevation and hold wind.

I think the FFP part is fine if manufacturers didn't insist on the christmas trees and thin designs. I'd love it if Nightforce made a FFP reticle for its SHV series (the H standing for Hunter, allegedly) that didn't suck for hunting. In the meantime the Maven RS1.2's seem like the go-to option for hunting until you get over the $2,000 mark just based on reticle design.

It does have a sort of tree reticle but I have never minded it. It helps to for shooting farther out. Once you figure t out, you dope for minimum zoom, half zoom and max zoom. It gives you a huge choice on yardages without dialing at all, just use the zoom on the SFP scope.

They do sell other reticles, including just a fine crosshair. PLEX-I is just a crosshair with an illuminated center.

Just hold top of back to 400 yards. Lol.

Duplex, tree, mil dot, chevron, “buckhorn” iron sights, fiber optic archery sight, whatever. Don’t let the sighting system get in the way of the task.

And, if it comes to it, drop the battery in the brush and tell Mr Green Jeans to eat a bag of dicks…

Last edited:
Been using a Zeiss V4 for a few years now, other than it being moa, been pretty happy with it. SFP 4-16, 50mm, zmoai-1 or reticle 93, 1 minute stadia, capped windage. Way better glass than comparable priced optics.

Reactions: BCP
Needing some advise from the hide. Looking for a scope to but on a 308 hunting build.

I was getting ready to pull the trigger on a vortex, razor HD LHT until I looked at the reticle and it’s just way too busy for me. Now I found some VX5 but wanted to know what other options are before pulling the trigger.
Tract has a hunting scope designed by James @ Barbour Creek. Looks good & simple in video review