• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Hybrid Version of the SPECTER from UGSW

BlackOps Tech

Still The Head Skunk
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
In the spirit of keeping the innovation alive, I had a bit of fun with the SPECTER package. The action is a prototyped version of the UGSW Model 911 "Military." Typically, the Military uses a Mini-M16 extractor and plunger ejector, but this prototype has a 30* coned bolt and is a Controlled Round-Push Feed with mechanical eject. The end result is that the rifle will feed, fire, extract and eject regardless of its orientation to the ground. The specs are:

UGSW Model 911 "Military" Prototype
Nitride Treated Bolt
UGSW Recoil Lug
UGSW BUIS System
UGSW Fire Control
UGSW Bolt Knob
UGSW Trigger
18" Bartlein KUKRI Contour Barrel
Chambered in .308 with UGSW Reamer
Badger Ordnance EFR as Modified by UGSW and UGSW Side Rails
Badger Ordnance M5 Bottom Metal with R&D Latch
Manners MCS-T3 as Finished by UGSW
Surefire Flash Hider/Adapter
ATLAS Rail and Bipod
UGSW Bedding and Pillar System
UGSW Fit and Finish
MilSpec Cerakote, Mixed Flatter and Darker
UGSW Black Epoxy Stock Finish
S&B 1.5-6 X 20 FlashDot
LaRue Low Rings
UGSW Stock Pack

rc5vsw.jpg

6r7hvq.jpg

xmvrqu.jpg

728u3t.jpg

2yz0tif.jpg

15qt2kl.jpg

This is not an easy rifle to build, as the extraction system is rather complex and requires a lot of hand work. Due to the increased amount of build time, I'm not totally convinced that I'll be manufacturing this action, but once the extraction system is tuned and functioning, it works beautifully.

Re: Hybrid Version of the SPECTER from UGSW

Very nice! Just out of curiosity, what does it take to put the flip up front mount on a barrel like that? Is that a mod that could be done to a finished barrel [relatively] easily? Or is it too difficult to consider?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: treebasher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There you go trying to turn a Remington into a Winchester again...

wink.gif
</div></div>

Yep, but the full length claw extractor on the Remington bolt was really easy compared to this one.
eek.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">once again perfection. clean and flawless. you guys need to quit, youre gonna give the other builders a complex
wink.gif
</div></div>

Thanks AXE. Much appreciated....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J-Ham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That sir, is awesome. </div></div>

Thanks Jesse. We're getting started on your brake today....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gstaylorg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very nice! Just out of curiosity, what does it take to put the flip up front mount on a barrel like that? Is that a mod that could be done to a finished barrel [relatively] easily? Or is it too difficult to consider? </div></div>

Thanks. It's not too bad at all. We make the front sight base specific to the contour at the muzzle and then silver braze it in place. There's a max OD though, so as long as the diameter doesn't exceed .880", it'll be good to go.

Suggestion?

Offer the conical bolt + mechanical extraction as an option and ensure that the economic incentive is worth the fiddly bit of work for you... and enough of a disincentive to keep it rare and not delay other builds
smile.gif

And then keep it a secret from my wife when i order one on a visa that my wife doesn't know about....
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skunkworks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks Jesse. We're getting started on your brake today....</div></div>
Sounds good brother, thank you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oddball-Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Suggestion?

Offer the conical bolt + mechanical extraction as an option and ensure that the economic incentive is worth the fiddly bit of work for you... and enough of a disincentive to keep it rare and not delay other builds
smile.gif

And then keep it a secret from my wife when i order one on a visa that my wife doesn't know about....
laugh.gif
</div></div>

Perfect solution
grin.gif

If/when you're ready, I'll build you one....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">looks great as usual mike! i'm glad to see you are still moving forward trying new things. </div></div>

Thanks 300....You been cooking anything up lately?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J-Ham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skunkworks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks Jesse. We're getting started on your brake today....</div></div>
Sounds good brother, thank you. </div></div>

No problem....Let's talk about the finish on it pretty soon....