• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes I am going to shoot a 1 mile course and need advise, please.

Tackelbarry

Private
Minuteman
Sep 23, 2017
I have a Remington 700, 300 win mag that has a Leupold mk4 6.5-20 on it. I also have another gun with the Steiner T5XI 3-15 on it that seems like much clearer glass. My question is, will I have enough adjustment from the Steiner T5XI 5-25 model 5126, if I buy it, replacing the Leupold, to go out to a mile on my 300 win mag? Thanks in advance.

Your gonna need approximately 20-26 mils up from a 100 yard zero.

If you can dial/hold that you should be good.

I use a scope with about 30 Mils of total adjustment and a 30 moa rail to shoot a mile with my 260.

How capable are you with your current setup? Changing things might be more of a hinderance. Typically the same model scope in 3-15 will have more internal adjustment due to less magnification. Additional magnification would be a plus at that distance however, so its a tradeoff. As long as you have enough internal adjustment to meet your needs, other features are just a bonus.

The T5Xi on a 20moa rail and you'll be just fine.

I have a buddy who dropped a bunch of coin on a Nemo Arms Omen semi auto in 300 Win mag. Running 190gr FGMM ammo we were popping our 1 mile target with a $240 4-16 Millett scope. So if it can be done with that optic..

Last edited:
Reactions: PinesAndProjectiles

I have a buddy who dropped a bunch of coin on a Nemo Arms Omen semi auto in 300 Win mag. Running 190gr FGMM ammo we were popping our 1 mile target with a $240 4-16 Millett scope. So if it can be done with that optic..

Drops $5k on a rifle, puts on a millett. Jesus, at least get an SWFA SS 10x haha

Reactions: PinesAndProjectiles
Drops $5k on a rifle, puts on a millett. Jesus, at least get an SWFA SS 10x haha

I was wondering who would catch that !! :)

He kinda broke the bank. The little woman found out how much he spent on the rifle and squashed his intended scope purchase.

That Millet rode that rifle for about 4 months before he was able to sneak a Bushy Gen2 XRS onto it.

It was pretty funny.

You will basically be walking it in anyhow shooting to a mile. Stuff like that doesn’t impress me much. First round hits more often than not at somewhat practical ranges does.

Stretching it out is a fun novelty activity.

You will basically be walking it in anyhow shooting to a mile. Stuff like that doesn’t impress me much. First round hits more often than not at somewhat practical ranges does.

You can say that about most distance shooting.

Years back I remember trying to walk a 75gr BTHP onto a 620 yard target with my 3 Gun rifle. I knew that target would be in the match. Took me a bit to get it figured out.

The same for trying to shoot my 308 SASS at 1000 yards. That round fell off the cliff at 900 yards. It was a struggle making contact at a grand.

That stuff is much more simplified these days. Dare I say easy in the right conditions.

It was the same when I started shooting to a mile and beyond. I would never call those distances easy. Weather can make a mess of those yardages. But my hit ratio is exponentially greater. And first round hits not uncommon.

Reactions: wade2big

I agree - you'd have to have some significant issues going on for a 20 MOA rail with your T5xi to fail to get you to 1 mile.

True, but folks can learn some valuable lessons along the way (like how to calibrate their apps). The smiles are big when we hand someone a Mile patch. And then every once and awhile, you get that perfectly still morning when the cold bore magic happens.

Up down is easy, left right is hard.