I feel Accomplished!

Fx51LP308

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Apr 8, 2021
    Tampa Bay, FL
    With all the "heaviness" and rage going on right now re: the assassination attempt on Donald Trump (Yeah, I said it MSM 'cause that's what it was!!!! :mad:), I thought we deserved a break and I'd write something light and pleasant about a recent accomplishment of mine. The category: "DIY Home Plumbing."

I know.. I know. This might seem like nothing compared to what I see you guys do. But I consider it an accomplishment, and it saved me a bit of $$$ calling a plumber to do it. In particular, I had to replace my master bath's vanity drop in sink. It's the standard Glacier Bay 19" almost circular vanity sink you can buy at Home Depot, along with the hardware (Glacier Bay faucet) and a Novatto "Pop up" drain with overflow. Apparently, there are several YouTube DIY videos on how to remove/replace this very sink. Well, it worked! The old sink was original equp. from when the house was built, and it was starting to corrode and leak around the drain into the cabinets. Both the standard and overflow drains were affected.

The "Before" Picture of the sink (after pulling it out):

before_sink.jpg

The "after Picture."

after_sink_closed.jpg

The above shows the Novatto Pop up drain in the "closed" setting. This is what it looks like when "opened."

pop_up_drain.jpg

You just push the drain cap to open/close it. You don't need the drain rod.

The P-trap fits perfectly. Right now, though, I don't have the water turned on just yet because they sent the wrong damned hose lines (they sent ones for a toilet and not a sink... ARRRGGGHHH)! But the correct ones are already on the way. When they get here, I'll pull the new sink out once again, attach the water lines, and then do the caulk strip around base lip and then put it back in, aligning it carefully. Then I'll hook everything back up and let her rip! I really feel accomplished! After that, it's on to the same sink in the 2nd bathroom.

Again, I know this seems minuscule compared to a lot of the plumbing/electrical/auto-mechanical stuff you guys do. Then again, how many of you can assemble a full desktop Linux Ubuntu Tower from a bare case in 2 hours and have it up and running on the first Power on????? 🤠:ROFLMAO:

Man, that OG sink looks like it should have been trashed a very long time ago.

But congrats on the successful replacement. Me?…I break stuff with hand tools. It’s my super power. lol

Nah, that's just me not cleaning it like I should have, once I decided to get rid of it... which I did, once it started to leak. I had already done the toilets about a year after I bought the place (I hired a plumber for those), but they're still in pretty good shape, although I have DIY replaced the piston flusher in one of them, and I have the assembly for the other one when needed. I also just did my garbage disposal, recently. The old one just froze up.

Reactions: Baron23
    You did glue the new one down, right ?

Most of these I see have this funny bit of movement to them :)

Reading back I gather you have not.
    Use standard silicone bathroom/kitchen grade stuff and thank me later.

You did glue the new one down, right ?

Most of these I see have this funny bit of movement to them :)

Reading back I gather you have not.
    Use standard silicone bathroom/kitchen grade stuff and thank me later.

I already have it (the silicone caulk). Once I get the right water lines, I'll pull the new sink out temporarily, attach the lines, and then put the bed of silicone caulk around the hole in the vanity and then drop the sink back in permanently, making sure it's aligned. Then, I can hook the P-trap back up and the water lines to the valves. Of course, I'll wipe off the excess caulk that oozes out so the seal looks nice.

This particular replacement sink by Glacier Bay is pretty heavy (One piece stone and porcelain), unlike the original that it light steel. The OG sink had mounting brackets that anchored it in place. They were not needed for the replacement and didn't have the connectors anyway. To "move" it, once in place, would require a bit of effort. Nonetheless, I will caulk it, once I get the lines attached.

Last edited:
    Quick Update: The correct water lines are now installed and the sink caulked in. Some minor adjustments were needed to the P-Trap to get it to fit properly, but it did so. I tested it by pushing the drain stop and filling it all the way to the overflow port. As it started to pour into the overflow port, I stopped filling. Sure enough, after 5 minutes it stopped entering the overflow port and stayed still. It did not move or leak (i.e. level not lowered below the overflow port). After 20 minutes I was ready to test my re-connecting the P-trap by pushing the drain button again. Wow, that think drained in almost 10 seconds from being totally full! And no leaks in the P-Trap. A total success!

For the next sink, though (in the 2nd bathroom), I think I'll lay the bed of caulk on the sink bottom itself, rather than around the vanity top.

It's done! I truly feel accomplished!

Reactions: Makinchips208