I get by with a little help from my friends...

climbing1

Private
Minuteman
Jul 3, 2023
NW Florida
What's up Hide,

Context:
  • Rifle I setup for bench rest. Used a crappy squeeze bag that I filled with sand in a ziplock, pushed out the air and cut slits in the squeeze bag and ran it on a rail changer. Worked great for what it was being stationary:
Screenshot 2024-08-13 at 6.07.38 PM.png

• I got a little bored shooting paper and moved on to NRL/PRS. With "bench sand bag" removed, I need about 4.5+ pounds to find balance a few inches in front of the magwell. Rifle with bipod without sandbag is 11.6 pounds. Photo below is not the balance point. Just threw it on for illustrative purposes:
Screenshot 2024-08-13 at 6.14.43 PM.png

Need some advice to modify this Manner's stock to fit me right. I'm saving up for a chassis on a centerfire, so not ready to do that to this rifle or switch out the barrel. I realize both of these would give me better options but it's currently a shooter in this state. I've already added an oversized steel compensator for weight, but it's not enough. I've got a 14" Area ARCA coming to move the bipod forward more to help counterbalance with barricade stop. I feel like my only options are:
  • Purchase some brass stock and attach to an ARCA clamp, but I think it'd be too significant in size to make the weight and will jack with a game changer. Tungsten isn't realistic given cost.
  • This is probably blasphemy, but I could take either a large forstner bit or hole saw and cut into the butt stock to hog out some weight... nobody panic, I build furniture so I can clean this up and make this look nice, but maybe not "right" :sneaky:. I'm thinking it shouldn't have material impact given .22
  • Cut past the butt plate, meaning, remove a few inches off the back end to remove material and add a lightweight adjustable one. This would probably look a lot cleaner. You'll notice the scope/rings really far back to fit my eye relief. Maybe cutting to adjust LOP would be best, as then I can also shift the weight of the boat anchor scope forward
2. To square up right, I need a higher cheek riser. This Victor Titan is maxed out on spacers. Rings are medium and I don't think low will do it and the shade may get into the barrel. Is there an adjustable option I can drill/add in inserts that will accept a riser? I don't want to use an Amazon kydex version that drills through the sides, I'd like to add to the top.

What's the play with these guardrails? I'm not really sure of the demand for a 457 Manners stock. I get why everyone runs chassis' for this reason, but I do love the palm swell on a Manners

Thanks for the help!