• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Hunting & Fishing I need a trail camera.

Re: I need a trail camera.

Let me say this upfront. I have no experience with a trail camera. But I have been looking at possibly getting one myself. The Gander Mountain not too far from me has them from $50 to $350. I believe this is another case that you get what you pay for. I am inclined to think the infra red flash is the way to go. I have heard that some are available with removable memory card or flash drive. That would simplify checking the camera in the field and then a close examination when the drive or card was plugged in the PC.

Good luck. I would like to know which one you decide on.

My next trail camera will be prolly a Cuddeback.

I currently run a Moultrie IR 40 and it takes great pictures. The thing I hate about it is if it's windy and if there is limbs or tall grass, you'll have like 600 pictures of wind pictures. Gets annoying quickly.

Moultrie captures motion.

Cuddeback captures heat.

Also, I'd go with the IR vs the reg flash. Never know if someone can see the flash and come snatch the trail camera.

I have the Cuddeback IR flash, I have used it very little but I like it a lot. I got the bear box too so I just bolt it to a tree and lock it and come back later. I have a good fried that has 3 IR Cuddebacks and that's all he will use. He gets tons of pictures every year and they run day in and day out.

Kc

HAve 2 CUddebacks, without the IR flash. Theft is not a problem where I am, the illegals passing thru don't need a cam! The animals don't seem to mind the flash much, it happens very fast, they look around and then go back to the feed.

PIctures are great, battery life good too, about 1000 pics per set.

Buy the 2gig memory cards at Radio shack, 24 bucks for two. One in the cam, and one to swap out when checking.

And post your pics! I am shooting one of these sheep soon:

ccd3046a.jpg

Or these pigs!

008c4243.jpg