Rifle Scopes I need some Aimpoint T2 and H2 advise.

Moose

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jul 3, 2005
    NJ
    I have never owned a red dot sight and at age 65 my eyes have a-lot of trouble with iron sights.Im use to very good scopes and don't want to start buying red dots that are not top tier.I will be using the red dot on a home defense rifle and I want to keep it light weight.What are your opinions on the Aimpoint T2 and H2.I have looked at youtube reviews on the T2 and H2 and most of them are very positive,Im just looking for advise from shooters who have used them. Thanks

I prefer the Aimpoint PRO to the T2. Better viewing from the PRO for me.

The only difference between the T2 and H2 is NV settings and submersion rating.

Reactions: Moose
    I own both, and have used them on week long advanced carbine classes. They are identical except the T2 has lower settings for use with night vision. If you are not using head mounted night vision devices like a PVS-14, the H2 is all you need.

I will also say I'm a big fan of these - they keep going when I've seen other manufacturer's red dots fail, and are worth the money if you can afford it. One lesson I did learn is to get a good mount. I prefer a fixed (not quick remove) mount, as I've had issues with the quick lock ones coming loose and moving zero during heavy use. I have the Daniel Defense micro-mount (screws in place) on mine and it has never let me down.

I’ve had a T2 on my SBR since 2016, and it’s not been turned off since then. I’ve drug it all over the place, knocked it around, and never had to touch the zero. It just keeps working. I have it in a Spuhr mount, couldn’t be happier with it.

If you have an astigmatism in your shooting eye however, I’d consider another option. T2’s don’t play well with astigmatisms, the design of the optic is the culprit for that, specifically the angled lenses.

I’ve also had the PRO, and knocked that around a lot as well. You shouldn’t have a problem with either of them, the PRO is cheaper and has a larger FOV.

Aimpoint is top in class, to be sure, and you pay for that as well. You won't be disappointed with any Aimpoint Micro you buy. The T2 is at the top of the heap and is particularly great under magnification, the dot stays razor sharp. I run Aimpoints on all my ARs. I have the T2, but my favorite Aimpoint is the CompM5.

Only own the T2. Bought it instead if the H2 because it keeps on going even when it gets cold.

As for the lesser FOV compared to Comp, I do not quite get it.
    When I use AP I just keep my eyes open, rifle to my shoulder and point the red dot at the stuff I want to punch holes through.

My vision is just as it is normally except there is a red dot visible.

I have mine on AD QD mount. I cannot really figure how it could get loose - in fact it should be more secure when tightened because it will lock the locking screw from turning. For me the QD mount is a great benefit.

Last edited:
    As for the lesser FOV compared to Comp, I do not quite get it.
    When I use AP I just keep my eyes open, rifle to my shoulder and point the red dot at the stuff I want to punch holes through.

The larger "hole" is easier for some to see through with the right eye when shooting both eyes open. At the expense of weight and size.

The larger "hole" is easier for some to see through with the right eye when shooting both eyes open. At the expense of weight and size.
    The T2 comes with a front cover that is not transparent, even with that on I still have no visual impairment and see the dot (even better actually, the dot can remain dim even in sunlight)

If I were to hit something far off, I would take the cover off and aim through it though, I believe it should aid in accuracy and just feels more natural due to habits with irons.

I do not still know where you're coming about but as I have not tested Comp/PRO models I have no real say in this.

I have owned the PRO, T1 and T2. The micros are my favorite. I never really got the feeling of a narrower field of view. The housing as seen through the tube is so minimal that it was like projecting a dot in space when shooting with both eyes open in front of dominant eye. The micro line is truly in a class all by itself imho. Only difference between the t and h that are already stated above is NV compatibility and submerging ratings.

I’ve been tempted to move into the micro series but the tube size has always concerned me. Not for static range but when shooting from awkward positions (especially during competitions) it seems it could be more difficult / take more time.

I think it’s hard to go wrong with any of the Aimpoint models. It just gets into how you want to use it, how much coin do you want to drop and personal preference.

You can't go wrong with Aimpoint, and the T2/ H2 optics are both great optics.

If you don't need night vision compatibility, you would likely be better suited with the H2. It weighs 0.4 ounces less (3.3 Oz), and is available in 2, 4, or 6 MOA dot sizes. While I personally prefer a small dot, the 6 MOA dot will be easier to pick up and won't be an issue at CQB distance.

The T2 weighs 3.7 oz, and is only available in 2 or 4 MOA dot sizes. But the T2 has night vision compatible settings that the H2 lacks.

Both have a 50,000 hour battery life on a single CR2032 battery.

i owned an Aimpoint H-1 and currently own a Trijicon RMR and a Leica Tempus. I sold the Aimpoint H-1 because I felt that compared to other high-end red dots, it was heavier and larger. The trijicon RMR and Leica Tempus don't have the battery life of the Aimpoint, but I feel they are superior in all other areas.

i owned an Aimpoint H-1 and currently own a Trijicon RMR and a Leica Tempus. I sold the Aimpoint H-1 because I felt that compared to other high-end red dots, it was heavier and larger. The trijicon RMR and Leica Tempus don't have the battery life of the Aimpoint, but I feel they are superior in all other areas.

What were some of the red dots that you found were lighter than the H-1? Over the last several months, I've been putting together a detailed comparison guide for battery powered equitment (optics, lights, range finders, gps, etc). From my research, most red dot sights weigh in between 5 and 8 ounces, with the H-1 being only 3 ounces.

To be fair, I classify optics such as the Trijicon RMR, Leopold Deltapoint, and other handgun-mountable optics as "Micro Red Dot Sights", and optics such as the Aimpoint H-1 or Trijicon MRO as simply "Red Dot Sights". Since the optics are made for different purposes, with unique advantages and disadvantages, I find this distinction to be important when selecting the right optic for one's mission requirements.

Reactions: Near miss
    Here are some weights:

I put my RMR on my Ruger 10-22 and my Leica Tempus is mounted on my VZ-58. So I guess I use "mirco" red dots for rifles. I never really made a distinction between red dots but you have a point.

Reactions: HannibalOdinson