• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

I need to ship my rifle, but with whom? UPS, USPS?

Re: I need to ship my rifle, but with whom? UPS, USPS?

You can ship a rifle with FedEx Ground or UPS Ground. Don't use USPS as their tracking SUCKS.

I've used both many many times and if the rifle is well padded, packaged right, use lots of tape since it's cheap and stronger then cardboard and labeled well then you'll be fine.

You will need to ship from a UPS or FedEx owned site, meaning their trucks park there at night, not the lame UPS Store or FedEx Office. Those guys don't have a clue and won't ship firearms AND they mark it way up.

Ok I do have a main hub right near me. My uncle works there, but I havent been able to get a hold of him to ask him. So thats why I posted up here.

I couldnt believe that they would say air only on a rifle and that would cost me 200 bucks almost. Ha yeah right. None the less thanks. I have the inside loaded up with bubble wrap, I reinforced the muzzle, so help eliminate punctures too. I also removed the bolt and taped it to the rifle.

UPS is simplest for me. Go online to UPS.com, fill out to/from and CC info and print the label. Catch the big brown truck, a store they go to everyday or one of the centers and done. I would use one of the private carriers like UPS or FedEx regardless, USPS only allow individuals to ship to the manufacturer or approved repair center or it is a violation of law. Individual sending R700 to Remy, OK . Individual sending R700 out for Cerakote, beware. This is my understanding anyway.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can ship a rifle with FedEx Ground or UPS Ground. Don't use USPS as their tracking SUCKS.

I've used both many many times and if the rifle is well padded, packaged right, use lots of tape since it's cheap and stronger then cardboard and labeled well then you'll be fine.

You will need to ship from a UPS or FedEx owned site, meaning their trucks park there at night, not the lame UPS Store or FedEx Office. Those guys don't have a clue and won't ship firearms AND they mark it way up.

</div></div>

That's all good info right there.

There's also some good info (for handling any snags that might occur) in this thread from a month ago:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...946#Post2907946

I have my FFL until the end of the year when my shop goes out of business so I've shipped a lot of firearms. Handguns have to go air, but long guns are good to go ground. USPS will only ship your firearm if you have an FFL and even then you have to fill out one of their forms for their record with your FFL# for every shipment. UPS and FedEx are always good to go. When I close my store at year's end I will be doing all of my shipments FedEx, but that's just because the FedEx hub is closer to my house, UPS are just as good IMO. Sometimes they put up a stink about it being "disassembled" so I just always take the bolt out so I can tell them that it is . . . though I'm not sure if this is required.

Do you have to notify the USPS that a rifle is in the box or is requiring an adult signature upon delivery sufficient?

For a non-FFL shipping to an FFL?

i would trust a stranger thug to deliver my rifle before i would use USPS they are horrible with tracking and it never arrives when they say it will

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: two4spooky</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> USPS only allow individuals to ship to the manufacturer or approved repair center or it is a violation of law. Individual sending R700 to Remy, OK . Individual sending R700 out for Cerakote, beware. This is my understanding anyway.
smile.gif
</div></div>
Incorrect... I HAVE to use USPS as we don't have Fedex or UPS here and it is 100% legal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RagnarDM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you have to notify the USPS that a rifle is in the box or is requiring an adult signature upon delivery sufficient?

For a non-FFL shipping to an FFL? </div></div>
No. There isn't any paperwork required or forms to fill out either. Lots of incorrect information in this thread!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Penguin156</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> USPS will only ship your firearm if you have an FFL and even then you have to fill out one of their forms for their record with your FFL# for every shipment. </div></div>
WTF??? This information is 100% incorrect. Perhaps you need to read up on your laws before spreading misinformation. Thousands of long guns go USPS daily to and from non FFL holders. (As long as it's going to or from an ffl holder or manufacturer)

I have a FedEx hub near me that is gun friendly. They ship rifles ground and never cause any problems. It may be best to stop in and talk to someone rather than calling. I find the shipping employees are more accommodating when then are talking in person and see that you are a "normal" person and not the wacko they hear about in the news.

I ship all my rifles (both sold and repairs) thru USPS!! The only requirement is that it is going TO A FFL, doesn't make a shit who's sending it. If anybody ever tells you otherwise, ask to speak to the Postmaster. I've mailed many rifles thru USPS and never had a issue, just make sure that the buyer or you gets insurance incase it's lost.

Can you also ship rifles or shotguns to another resident of your state (non-FFL) through USPS?

How about to yourself c/o another person in a different state, to avoid flying with them?

Do not ship guns of any kind just in a box. If there is any damage and you file a claim you will find that the fine print in UPS says that they must be shipped in a hard case and the case must be in protective cardboard box for anything more than their minumum damage claim.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mnshortdraw</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Penguin156</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> USPS will only ship your firearm if you have an FFL and even then you have to fill out one of their forms for their record with your FFL# for every shipment. </div></div>
WTF??? This information is 100% incorrect. Perhaps you need to read up on your laws before spreading misinformation. Thousands of long guns go USPS daily to and from non FFL holders. (As long as it's going to or from an ffl holder or manufacturer) </div></div>

"mnshortdraw" is correct. There is too much misinformation about USPS and shipping a rifle going on here. I have never, ever had one problem with USPS and sending a rifle to an FFL. I just insure the crap out of it and require a signature for delivery. True, thier tracking is not the greatest but it is better than it used to be and now you see a expected delivery date along with arrival and depature scans for each stop it makes along the way. Not too much less than you get with UPS....There are no extra fees or forms or any other BS with USPS for shipping a long gun.

Here's an example of something that is expected to arrive just about any minute for me:

Out for Delivery
December 15, 2011, 9:08 am
ISLE OF PALMS, SC 29451
Expected Delivery By:
December 15, 2011

Delivery Confirmation™

Insured

Sorting Complete
December 15, 2011, 8:58 am
ISLE OF PALMS, SC 29451

Arrival at Post Office
December 15, 2011, 8:05 am
ISLE OF PALMS, SC 29451

Depart USPS Sort Facility
December 15, 2011
CHARLESTON, SC 29423

Processed through USPS Sort Facility
December 14, 2011, 6:54 am
CHARLESTON, SC 29423

Processed through USPS Sort Facility
December 12, 2011, 8:53 pm
SPOKANE, WA 99224

Acceptance
December 12, 2011, 3:43 pm
HAYDEN, ID 83835

Not really that hard to keep a look after. The only real differance is that USPS does not scan a lot of stops along the way, swithing from this truck to that truck and passing through this and that sort facility before moving on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RagnarDM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can you also ship rifles or shotguns to another resident of your state (non-FFL) through USPS?

How about to yourself c/o another person in a different state, to avoid flying with them?

</div></div>

Yes.
Shipping to a resident in your state is the same as a face-to-face transaction. I have never done it personally, but that's my interpretation of the info on the ATF website.

And yes, you can ship a rifle to yourself in another state because ownership has not changed, and you are the ONLY person who can take possession of the gun on that end.

USPS any day over Fedex or UPS. I have shipped my rifle to California on two occasions via USPS Priority Mail. Both times it was mailed on a Monday and arrived on Wednesday, all for about 20% of what Fedex & UPS would have charged and with about 2% of the hassle.

Granted, USPS tracking leaves a bit to be desired compared to UPS or Fedex but I'd prefer not to know when my packages arrive in Indianapolis and sit here for 3 days before they're willing to deliver them. USPS drops it as soon as possible.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Penguin156</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> USPS will only ship your firearm if you have an FFL and even then you have to fill out one of their forms for their record with your FFL# for every shipment. </div></div>

Yep, for shipping long guns that's just wrong.

1) Long guns can go ground or, obviously priority overnight.

2) Pistols have to be shipped priority overnight (by law).

I've shipped a lot of rifles & pistols both sold and for upgrades. I personally prefer FedEx 3 day select or FedEx 2 day for long guns and (per above) either FedEx Priority or FedEx Standard overnight for pistols.

Just make sure to insure the minimum value of your firearm for 100% of the replacement cost. I usually insure for 125% to cover my time, shipping, etc. Moreover, I pack securely with security tape first (see pic below), followed by regular clear packing tape on top.

ed-security-sealed-tape-stape-single-roll-38-p.gif

my $0.02
cool.gif

Im done with USPS. They lost 2 checks going out west within 2 weeks of each other. One week they were doing fine, now they are unreliable at best. I use my UPS account for ground shipment but FedEx rules the air.

There is no law that says it has to go overnight. Its a UPS and Fed Ex policy. A 30 second search found the actual laws...

<span style="font-style: italic">A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]

A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.</span>

I have use the USPS 3-4 times for long guns without an issue. I used UPS once to ship a rifle to a builder and was given a bunch of grief. And that was at the UPS hub store front.

My poor wife was put through the UPS BS again today. Months ago she was told that UPS would not ship a scope to my smith as it was part of a gun. She probably should have never told them it was a scope in the package but she was told that this info was required so they could insure it. She ended up taking the scope to my local FFL dealer so he could send it to my smith, Today she went again to UPS to box and send my pelican case to my smith. She went there as she had a box made to ship it in. They were very suspicious and wanted to look in the case to make sure there was no guns or ammo in it. Then the manager came out with all of the UPS rules and regulations saying that she could not ship any gun or any parts of a gun directly to my gunsmith. Any and all gun related material had to be shipped from an FFL to an FFL. I know she should have not gone to UPS but she was doing te best she could as I am out of the country working and my smith said UPS works best for him as he lives in a rural area. They did finally send the case for her.

If you send UPS do not go to one of their mom and pop shipping and packing stores. Go directly to UPS and you will not have any problems

UPS and the UPS Store are two different things. Don't bring gun parts to a UPS store. Go to a UPS Hub. I ship rifles and scopes all the time from my UPS hub without a problem.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">UPS and the UPS Store are two different things. Don't bring gun parts to a UPS store. Go to a UPS Hub. </div></div>

I hear you Rob. I found that out the hard way. I was using the UPS store near my house because they open at 8 am. The UPS hub here opens at 2 pm. I took a gun case over there to ship one time and I was told that they would not ship guns. I informed them that it was not a gun (cough cough) but a collimeter. They then said oh well then we can ship that. Needless to say that I do not use them anymore. I use USPS or FedEx depending on what I am shipping.

UPS all the way for me. I have shipped numberous long guns, and have never had any hassle from anyone what so ever.

My shipping labels are created by me, I package the long gun, and I drop it off at our local pickup site. No problems.

UPS tracking has never done me wrong either...

DK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill Larson</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> CAN A GUY SHIP TO HIMSELF... CARE OF SOMEONE ELSE...??? </div></div>

Yes, but you are the only person that can open the package and take possession of the gun at the point of delivery.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill Larson</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> CAN A GUY SHIP TO HIMSELF... CARE OF SOMEONE ELSE...??? </div></div>

From the BATFE FAQs:

Q: May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?
Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

Apologies for my post that has been quoted as wrong many times now in this thread. I was just going off what my postmaster told me directly, I guess that's what I get for expecting people to actually do the job that they are paid to do. Again, my apologies and I will for sure have a talk with my postal workers next time I stop in. Thanks to everyone for the correction.

Ditto to what many said. Go UPS, and yes you have to go to a UPS Center. Pack it well, and get insurance. The tracking is far better than whatever USPS does.

[/quote]I have use the USPS 3-4 times for long guns without an issue. I used UPS once to ship a rifle to a builder and was given a bunch of grief. And that was at the UPS hub store front. [/quote]

I got the same load a couple of weeks ago in at the hub in Rocklin

Rifles can go ground, pistols air. I've used USPS, better insurance. UPS better tracking crappy insurance policies. FEDEX no real experience, but supposedly they run in USPS freight trucks.