• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes I want a S&B but this is what I got...

The Dakota Sniper

Sniperific
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2018
North Dakota
I have a NF 8-32 NXS second focal plane in mil.

I have the ability to trade for a brand new mark 6 3-18 with the h58.

I’m torn to go to the 44 from my NF, but I don’t know really anyone who wants my setup. What would you guys do? Keep the NF or go with the leupold.

I just want to get a scope I can use on more than my Sako 338.

The NF is okay but I dunno, not digging the second focal and not digging that 32 power isn’t true size.

I will probably throw it on my AI for work. 3 power would Be very handy over our NXS 5 powers. The big NF has been sitting in my closet for a while now.

I really want a S&B but this is as close as I can get for now.

Your adjustments will always match those sub tensions. The thickness of your subtentions will remain constant despite magnification. Your spotter is less likely to screw up the call. You can mil at any magnification.

Bet I can think of more once these two bottle of wine have worn off. :D

I would definitely go for the Leupold. 3-18 is a very useable magnification range unless your doing ELR and I'm with hk dave in feeling that FFP is an absolute must in a precision rifle. The Mk 6 is decent scope and the H58 is a pretty good reticle for a precision rifle.

Not sure about all the bugs being ironed out of the Mk 6 (hope so), but can say the Mk 5 has been a pleasant surprise. A much improved design IMHO (turret design, reticle offerings, size. etc).

FFP is extremely important on high magnification scopes, but less so on on 12x -15x scopes IMO. Simply because the lower powers make it possible for you to be at the highest magnification (ranging magnification) the majority of the time.

If you do need to back down, you just back down half way and double the subtention. JMHO, I am likely out of the main stream of thought on this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a NF 8-32 NXS second focal plane in mil.

I have the ability to trade for a brand new mark 6 3-18 with the h58.

I’m torn to go to the 44 from my NF, but I don’t know really anyone who wants my setup. What would you guys do? Keep the NF or go with the leupold.

I have your scope, in a moar-t Reticle. I’ve shot PRS style matches with it and just shot steel with it as well. I don’t have to use it for my work, so I don’t know about those specific situations. In matches I haven’t had to range much, and I end up dialing for wind and then just eyeing it for most of my hold overs (as opposed to not dialing at all and relying on the marks to hold over a specific amount of minutes). This being the case, thus far, I haven’t run into the problems that come from not having FFP. Not saying I won’t in the future, but I haven’t yet. I also haven’t had to crank it to 32 as a necessity..... but I don’t think I’ve ever needed lower than the 8.

I guess all this is to say that if you aren’t running into problems already where you are needing the FFP, the 8-32 is a great scope....

But the Mk 5 is better than the Mk 6 (has improvements to the design and features above and beyond the Mk 6).
I would steer clear of the MK 6 Leupold.
They have a terrible record in regards to tracking and reliability.
It is going to spend more time at the factory than on your rifle.

This. Having owned both the Mark 5 is hands down better than the MK6. Also the kinks haven't been ironed out of the MK6.
Here's a hide member who got his, reticle was canted. I'd try and find a MK5 in a heartbeat i'll never pick up a mark 6 again.

So I might have been confusing in my first post.

I have a NF 8-32 it is SFP .mrad normal TMR style reticle.

for work I run a NXS MOAR-T Second Focal. Its not bad.

I did end up picking up the M6. Its pretty impressive so far.

I work part time at a gun shop and we've gotten brand new NF, Trijicon, Leupold, Vortex with massive canted reticles. I forget what most factories allow for QC for their scopes, I think its like 3-6 degrees or some crazy crap like that. It can drive a guy nuts who is attempting to mount the scope. Every time we have sent them back and its all TKO within a week or two.

I'm going to run the M6 and see how it performs. I'm still waiting for a S&B or If I can ever get my hands on a ZeroCompromise optic to test out. They seem pretty decent but Time will tell.

Reactions: Bender
This. Having owned both the Mark 5 is hands down better than the MK6. Also the kinks haven't been ironed out of the MK6.
Here's a hide member who got his, reticle was canted. I'd try and find a MK5 in a heartbeat i'll never pick up a mark 6 again.

Shame, the Mk6 is such a nicely proportioned scope, but then again the MK5 shorty looks even better

Reactions: 5RWill
I have had no issues with the Mk6 and mk8 optics I have run over the years. Hard to beat the weight and size of the 3-18 Mk6. Perfect for LW guns or SR25 gas gun variants, or even Mk12/Recce 5.56 guns too. When they were on blowout with H58 reticle I picked up a few at $1380 each. For that price I don't know what compairs.

I like it so far. I think it will be a "sporty" scope for the size. I'm eyeing a Mark 5 with the h58, but I might wait for the Tremor 3.

I've looked through the Tremor 2 and I didn't care for it. I'll have to get my hands on a 3 and see what the hype is about. I've had solid success with the H58.

I've had 0 problems with leupold and scope repairs. They are always on par and send a call tag for the item. I don't get why so many people go with the cheap vortex line ups for "the warranty" when I've never been denied by Leupold.

I like it so far. I think it will be a "sporty" scope for the size. I'm eyeing a Mark 5 with the h58, but I might wait for the Tremor 3.

I've looked through the Tremor 2 and I didn't care for it. I'll have to get my hands on a 3 and see what the hype is about. I've had solid success with the H58.

I've had 0 problems with leupold and scope repairs. They are always on par and send a call tag for the item. I don't get why so many people go with the cheap vortex line ups for "the warranty" when I've never been denied by Leupold.
While I concur with the remark in regards to buying Vortex due to the warranty, Leupold set the standard long ago for warranty service.
The problem though is this: The CHEAP Mk 6 retails for over 2500 dollars new and can go all the way to around 4400 dollars.
For that kind of scratch (even the "cheap" mk 6), the goddamn thing should work on delivery. You shouldn't be REQUIRED to send it in multiple times for repairs.
My idea is this: Build it right the FIRST fucking time and you might be able to keep customers AND maximize profits at the same time.

Reactions: lancetkenyon
While I concur with the remark in regards to buying Vortex due to the warranty, Leupold set the standard long ago for warranty service.
The problem though is this: The CHEAP Mk 6 retails for over 2500 dollars new and can go all the way to around 4400 dollars.
For that kind of scratch (even the "cheap" mk 6), the goddamn thing should work on delivery. You shouldn't be REQUIRED to send it in multiple times for repairs.
My idea is this: Build it right the FIRST fucking time and you might be able to keep customers AND maximize profits at the same time.

I hear what your preaching. I agree that if we are spending 2k+ our shit should work. Unfortunately every company has some sort of acceptable degree of cant in their scopes. That is just the game with QC.

What I can say from experience is this.

Our team switched to Ruger RPRs. The powers at be decided to take our budget and allocate it somewhere else. We ended up with viper PST's and they were garbage, absolute garbage. They wouldn't track properly, they wouldn't hold zero, and one of ours developed tons of condensation inside the lens. For a hunter, missing the buck of coyote thats not really a big deal, but for us we can't have shitty gear be the reason we shot the wrong person so to speak.

We ended up getting our money back. Vortex said it was a bad lot that 4 of our scopes were garbage. We then went with NF and never looked back.

Now I have zero experience with the HDs from what I know they are legit. Now if you take the HD's they are comparable to the price of the mark 6's. Especially now, you can find a mark 6 for under 2k, maybe not illuminated but never the less.

You have to compare apples to apples. I've had many many many mark 4's that always worked and tracked fine. The reticles were never canted and they were good to go. I know I've sent 2 Leupolds back over 10 years for reticle cant. I know we've sent over a dozen of vortex back due to cant or some type of issue. We have never sent a NF back. We have sent SHIT TONS of Trijicon's back for reticle issues being cant or "fading/blending" I guess I could call it in the reticle of the ACOGs. We have had terrible luck with our MRO's and we are switching to Aimpoints.

I would say this.

in my expirence NF is the best luck we had, leupold, vortex, then trijicon. I'm sure HOWA has canted reticles, SB, Bushnell.

All the companies always took care of us, Is that because we are Gov agency? I sure that has something to do with it. We might try some vortex HD 1-6 or whatever they make but we will NEVER go with the CHEAP version of them again.

Most go from Leupold to Nightforce, not the other way around. I get wanting to trade the 8-32 for something else but I'd not downgrade in overall quality.

I hear ya, I do like my MOART for work with the exception that it is in MOA and I prefer MIL for everything else I do. I guess it makes me adaptable to multiple platforms.

I traded my 8-32 for the 6. The guy I traded it to is a close family friend who has been in the Bench rest stuff for years. It fits him and the 6 fits me so it works out.

I'm playing with the Mk 5 or the ATACR for another optic, Not 100% sure what route I want to go. I would love a SB but I guess we'll see what happens.

I hear ya, I do like my MOART for work with the exception that it is in MOA and I prefer MIL for everything else I do. I guess it makes me adaptable to multiple platforms.

I traded my 8-32 for the 6. The guy I traded it to is a close family friend who has been in the Bench rest stuff for years. It fits him and the 6 fits me so it works out.

I'm playing with the Mk 5 or the ATACR for another optic, Not 100% sure what route I want to go. I would love a SB but I guess we'll see what happens.
ATACR. Biggest beef with NF is the lack of reticle options. but the scopes are solid and track true.

Reactions: The Dakota Sniper
Well it’s mounted. Not sure if I like how close it is to the rail. I might have to go a little higher, thoughts?

Attachments

• 5395DD11-13F5-421F-BCCD-4495E001F0B9.jpeg
    5395DD11-13F5-421F-BCCD-4495E001F0B9.jpeg
    622.2 KB · Views: 54
  • 971D9B8A-BB9A-4F34-86BE-9D55A3302144.jpeg
    971D9B8A-BB9A-4F34-86BE-9D55A3302144.jpeg
    316.9 KB · Views: 50
Nice. If it clears, it clears. It's not going anywhere. I would run it if it feels good getting behind it. If you need it higher for reasons other then it being close to the rail, then that's a different situation.

Well, it clears. Like stated above, it shouldn't be a problem. My 3-18 Gen II Razor sits that way on my AI; it's just a long rail and a short body scope. Shrug. Run it....

I’m just saying who cares what people say based on a picture. You’re the only one knows what kinda shooting you do and what your neck, cheek, head structure is like. If it fits you that high in the prone or positional who cares. ?‍♂️

Yeah you’re right. That’s why I left my work rig alone with my shit.

Sorry brah for stepping into something different. Didn’t mean to rustle your jimmies.

Looking for opinions on the setup, thanks for all your help!
I always try to run mine low. But I don’t run NV either. I think they look silly if they are too far above the barrel.