• Site Updates Coming Monday

We’re planning to start making changes bright and early on Monday so you might see the site down fir a bit, but no worries, we’ll make our changes and be back as soon as we can!

VIEW THREAD
  • Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I wouldn't call 25yrs ago "vintage" but

Terry Cross

Dingleberry
Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2003
Alexandria, LA 71303
www.kmwlrs.com
Ran across this photo today while looking for something else.

I never considered rifles that are only 25yrs old to be Vintage but after seeing some of the other threads in this sub-forum, I guess this counts.

Directly from the Way Back machine. This is me/KMW from November, 1999.
At the time, it was one of the biggest single jobs for me.

1719412964201.png

During this period, these type rifles and scopes were state of the art for Law Enforcement SWAT sniper deployment. Dig the SIMRAD mounting cleat.
Originally these were Remington Custom Shop 40X-repeaters in .308 Win. purchased by a Federal agency in the late 1980's.

My job was to re-machine/true all of the actions, clean up the triggers, surface grind recoil lugs then custom chamber and install Kriegers. Refinish had to be in matte black of course back then! It was a total of 40 rifles to be rebuilt, broken into two groups for this customer job.

Later, they cycled back through for new barrels again and McMillan A2 stocks.

I still have the test targets (3 groups from each rifle) and they were hammers!
Many of these rifles have rotated back through the KMW shop for re-barrels since then and a few are still in service but with different stocks. Most have been destroyed as they had new rifles built to take their place.

Rifles, scopes and non-gray hair have come a long way since then!

Last edited:
Freaking awesome Terry.

Here's some vintage 1995 stuff.
I still own all of it and yes, even the US made Bushnell 400 RF still works.

20180716_163622.jpg

How about this vintage powder price?
20180710_164617.jpg

It was $13.99 at a different store, but they were out that day.
This was back when you could buy powder by the pound, knowing it would be available next time you needed it.

I never considered rifles that are only 25yrs old to be Vintage but after seeing some of the other threads in this sub-forum, I guess this counts.

View attachment 8446876

During this period, these type rifles and scopes were state of the art for Law Enforcement SWAT sniper deployment. Dig the SIMRAD mounting cleat.
Originally these were Remington Custom Shop 40X-repeaters in .308 Win. purchased by a Federal agency in the late 1980's.

My job was to re-machine/true all of the actions, clean up the triggers, surface grind recoil lugs then custom chamber and install Kriegers. Refinish had to be in matte black of course back then! It was a total of 40 rifles to be rebuilt, broken into two groups for this customer job.

Many of these rifles have rotated back through the KMW shop for re-barrels since then and a few are still in service but with different stocks. Most have been destroyed as they had new rifles built to take their place.

Admit it. You were a Chick Magnet back then, weren't you ? :unsure:;)

View attachment 8446876

Thanks for posting!!! Very interesting, and enjoy the pictures of the rifles and scopes!!!!⚡⚡

Reactions: Terry Cross
Good to see you again Terry. I think we first met at the SHC back when it was at Rifles Only, probably around the time of that photo.

Reactions: Terry Cross