• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

If you got a new Remington 700 SPS Tactical what would your first changes be?

KCode

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 25, 2019
I'm going this week to pick up a Remington 700 ADL. I absolutely cannot itch this nostalgic Remington 700 itch and I need one in my life, as terrible as a new one might be.

With that being said if you got a new one is there anything that you would do to it to improve it? I was planning on buying this with full intentions to modify it a good bit because I can't leave anything alone.

Emotionally, trade it it for almost anything, truthfully, shoot it to see what it needs. I likely would put a decent trigger on it relatively soon. But I would skip major surgery until you have 2-300 rounds through it

Emotionally, trade it it for almost anything, truthfully, shoot it to see what it needs. I likely would put a decent trigger on it relatively soon. But I would skip major surgery until you have 2-300 rounds through it

Why do they get so much hate? I heard the new ones come from Remington with a Timney trigger.

Reactions: TurdFerguson
If that’s true then fine, I have not picked one in a long while. Through history their triggers were dictated by lawyers and financial planners. Last one I had broke like rotting tree at 7 pounds. That was why my truthful answer was shoot it a spell before surgery.

Kind of contradicting my other post but, this^^. If you really must have one, find an old used one and go from there. For the money though, you’re going to spend similar coin as you would an origin/arc/etc and a prefit.

I'm going this week to pick up a Remington 700 ADL. I absolutely cannot itch this nostalgic Remington 700 itch and I need one in my life, as terrible as a new one might be.

With that being said if you got a new one is there anything that you would do to it to improve it? I was planning on buying this with full intentions to modify it a good bit because I can't leave anything alone.
I bought a Rem 700 ADL in 300 WM, but decided to shoot it first before tearing down for the action for another project.
I put an aluminum chassis on it, threaded it for a muzzle brake, and took it to the range.
The first 5 shot group went into 1/2 MOA with 200 SMK handloads. Everything else stock off the shelf $540 Remington ADL 300 WM shot as well as a multi thousand dollar rifle.
Target in 1st picture. Factory Rem 300 WM in Alum chassis, $540 on sale plus $400 for the chassis.
So put the barreled action in an aluminum chassis, center feed mags increase the COAL to 3.715" on mine, but 3.850 mags are available for some chassis.
Allowing seating near the lands, and adding powder capacity, for more velocity.
The Australian shooting couple did the same thing with a factory 308 Win Police rifle, stock 26" barreled action put it in a chassis, and took it to 3000 yds with 2 hits in a row out of 10 tried.
The Rem 700 old and new have been good actions for custom builds.
Mine will shoot tiny groups, especially with a premium barrel.
With many different bullets and several powders... 13, 5 shot groups averaged .313" that day.
Almost a 1/4" rifle "all day long" for real. And easily so, with a better shooter.
Remington 700 actions old and new shoot very good. I use them almost exclusively for my custom builds ...
20211122_231529.jpg

Attachments

• 20231118_144135.jpg
    20231118_144135.jpg
    306.6 KB · Views: 38
  • 20231118_124559.jpg
    20231118_124559.jpg
    961.2 KB · Views: 38
  • 20211205_140927.jpg
    20211205_140927.jpg
    431.6 KB · Views: 37
Get ready to spend some money🤣
Built this 30 years ago before all the 700 foot print stuff came along.
Greg Tannel blueprinted the action, pinned recoil lug, bolt bumps, everything. Last year, Long Rifles inc installed KMW bottom metal, Mike Davis smithed the Hawk Hill 6.5 barrel (6.5X47 Lapua) Also have barrels in .308 & .7mm08 Long Rifles can blueprint your action bed it in your choice of stock and install a new match barrel. Good Shooting, see you at the range.
IMG_1802.jpeg
IMG_1805.jpeg

Reactions: FuhQ
I say this as a guy who used to just buy Remingtons, bed them into a stock, and adjust (pre-lawsuit) the trigger: They can typically be made to shoot pretty well. Not uncommon at all to develop a handload that'll consistently shoot half-minute 5-shot groups. Just don't expect to find that load quickly.

I still have one of those actions, but it has now been worked over by a fantastic gunsmith and wears a Krieger barrel and TT trigger. It leaves nothing on the table regarding accuracy to one of my "custom" actions or my AI. Regarding features...that is a different story.

That factory Remmy action isn't going to offer near as many nice features as you'll get from a good action these days. And if you leave that factory barrel on it, be prepared for things like cold bore shift and much more picky ammo preferences.

They aren't total junk, and if that is all your budget allows, go for the factory Remington. Just bear in mind that you really are trying to drive a Cavalier, and not a Corvette.

I really liked the Remington 700 until they started cutting corners about 20 years ago. My 90s era VS and PS are both 1/2 MOA capable rifles.

The 16.5" 223 SPS Tactical that I picked up about 10 years ago on clearance does what is needed, but will never be a PRS rig. Let's compare it to a full custom build-

- The stock is a Hogue. Not terrible but not great for what they are. The internal magazine doesn't work all that well. An inexpensive upgrade would be a KRG Bravo or similar. A chassis would be even nicer but why put that kind of money into a factory action and barrel.

- The factory bolt knob is small compared to the customs. You could have it upgraded or put on a bolt on version from KRG or similar.

- I have only heard about the Timney trigger that comes on the new model, and that they are not adjustable, but are improved over the old XMark or Walker style triggers.

- Accuracy can be good, mine shoots sub MOA, but it isn't close to what a custom rifle can do. If you are going to buy it, and start swapping out parts, including the barrel, I would just start with a good custom action.

Reactions: diggler1833
I had a sps tactical 223 for about a month and a half that was one of the new ones. It wasn't bad but I changed the stock immediately and used an area 419 rail. Still ended up selling it but it wasn't the hot pile of dog shit I was expecting it, and was told it would be.

No first hand knowledge, but have been hearing the new 700’s are relatively decent for a factory option.
I dont kno about the SPS but I had one of the Magpul editions in 6.5 CM. It wasnt a world beater but for the money a darn nice little rifle. Shot sub MOA out of the box. Crappy trigger but a Timney Hit fixed that. If you want to shoot major comps its not going to cut it but for general fun use, not a bad choice.

... With that being said if you got a new one is there anything that you would do to it to improve it?...
Buy an inch-pound torque wrench if you don't already have one.

Take the action out of the stock, make sure there isn't any debris between the action and the stock. Reinstall, ensuring you seat the recoil lug properly and torque the action screws to spec (should be 55 or 65 in/lbs)

Pull off any included optics rail or hole plugs, degrease the threads, and install your chosen optic mounting solution to manufacturer's spec and torque value.

Take the bolt apart, wipe out any debris, reassemble.

Punch the bore with solvent and a handful of dry patches. Nothing crazy, but there will be some debris in there.

Put 100-200 rounds through it before doing anything that requires a known muzzle velocity. That barrel is going to speed up as things settle in.

Go take a class, sign up for a local club match, get connected with local folks who can show you the various options for where to go next with your equipment.

If you must change something right out of the gate, the OEM stock that comes with the SPS tactical will probably have the most negative impact on your results. I wouldn't spend too much fixing this, but a KRG Bravo or MDT Oryx would be money well spent and will likely work on whatever rifle you get next.

Last edited:
I bought a brand new Remington 700 5r w/ 20” barrel back in 2017 or 18 and Remington was considered junk back then. The rifle was $875. The whole rifle cost less than any aftermarket action at the time. I wasn’t handloading back then but factory FGMM 175gr shot in little clusters every time. The only thing I did was change out the trigger. This is the long way of saying that there are plenty of good Remington rifles out there.

Yeah, I agree, my last Remington was at the other side of the spectrum. First time out when I bore sighted the barrel it was so far to the left my old Leopold didn’t have enough windage, took it home tore it apart and cleaned everything remounted the scope, checked the stock tightness and went back and my best ( as well as a few at the range) could do was 7” at 100yrds. Yes this was a while back and I know they can be much better and mine was even by the standards in 2012. That’s why my post had both an emotional and a rational response. I actually still have the rifle, it never got better and sits in a back corner of the safe. Always shoot a new rifle a bunch before making wholesale change, it may be a shooter from the start.

There was a time when R put out a good rifle but corporate raiders did them in. My SPS Varmint in 308 has the X-Mark trigger, not the pro, and has been good and it’s adjusted all the way down and is light. Chassis weren’t really a thing at the time so it’s in a B&C varmint, A1 I believe, and was sent to CDI so Jeff (RIP) could inlet his DBM. EGW rail and Seekins rings and SWFA 5-20 and barrel chopped to 20”. The damn thing shoots unbelievably. It’s what Snipershide used to be without spending $8k and being talked down to for being a poor.

I squirreled away the components that shot the best out of it and marked them so I don’t accidentally load them for a different rifle. Bragging rights are a thing with some of the younger guys I know that have a pile in their guns and optics.

Retro grade LOL.
IMG_0853.jpeg

IMG_0867.jpeg

When I first got into rifle shooting around 2007, I bought a Dicks sporting goods exclusive 700 SPS Varmint 308 came with a green stock. It would shoot 5 shots 1 MOA or less and I really didn't even know or have near the experience or knowledge I have now.

I ended up turning it into a 6.5CM using a Remage barrel and sold it to a friend who still has it and loves it.

Reactions: MarshallDodge
I got a newer 700 adl varmint. Timney trigger. Breaks just below 5lbs but is crisp. Just heavy. Shoots decent. Needed some work on bolt to clear the rear tang. Rust already showing after a few weeks of ownership. Besides that though I can't complain

Reactions: Zigjib

First things first... Scrap the trigger and buy a TriggerTech Special for it. You'll thank me later. These are on sale right now for an awesome price at EuroOptic... Normally $219, on sale for $169.

Second, the stock on them is kind of shitty...I'd look into a better/different stock. If you want nostalgia and to keep it as close to Remington spec as you can, while still upgrading significantly, go online and find an old school HS Precision Remington Sendero/Varmint takeoff stock... Here's a new one for sale at RHR for a good price...

Third, order an EGW (Evolution Gun Works) HD 20MOA base...

EGW HD 20MOA Base - Rem 700 SA

Reactions: oldrifleman
I have a Rem 700 SPS Tac in .223 I bought years ago. Tossed the Hogue stock and bought a KRG Bravo. Put on a TriggerTech trigger, EGW pic base, TPS rings and a Vortex 5-25 optic. Shoots 5 shot groups in the .3 to .5 range with 69 gr. SMK on top of CFE223. I'm familiar with Remington's issues in previous years, but mine (a sample size of one) shoots as well as I can shoot.

On the other hand, five years ago I bought a R700 in 6.5 Creed for around $250 with sales, discounts, Cabela points so I could take the barrel off and do a RemAge barrel swap in 6mm BR Norma which shoots great. Also changed to KRG Bravo stock, TriggerTech trigger, etc.

If you really want a R700, go for it!

Reactions: MarshallDodge
Also, to add to what others have said... I absolutely understand the nostalgia aspect of it. The 700 is still nostalgic for me, as well. I used to be one of THE biggest 700 fanboys out there...Back when I could pickup a 700 ADL for $250-300 and snatch it apart just to get the action to build a custom rifle. Have it fully blueprinted and trued, hell most of the time I even buy brand new factory 700 Sendero and Sendero SF barrels online (eBay and forums) for dirt cheap (not anymore) and have the smith take a few threads off the shank, recut the recoil lug shoulder a 1/4" or so forward to make room for new threads after cutting off the back of the chamber, and run a nice match-spec'd reamer in them to clean up the chamber, hand-lapp the bores, and cut a recessed target crown for it. Bed it into an old Sendero/Varmint HS Precision stock I bought online for dirt cheap, or traded around for, and you have a 1/2 to 3/4 MOA "custom" 700 for under $1,000 total build (not including optics). Those days are LONG gone now. Just a stripped factory 700 action (that still needs to be blueprinted) will cost you $650+, plus the gunsmith fees...Which is NOT worth the money. I still have a safe full of 700's and 700 customs from back in the "good old days", but they don't get shot that much anymore.

With the continued improvement of new technology, we can now buy really nice custom actions packed full of features that are MUCH stronger and nicer than a 700 action, and they are fully CNC machined, so the tolerances allow you to buy custom shouldered prefit barrels for them, and assemble the rifles at home yourself without the need for a gunsmith, or paying a gunsmith to do it for you. A few simple tools like a torque wrench, barrel vise, and action wrench, and little bit of know-how (plenty of good YouTube videos out there to teach you how) are pretty much all you need.

Personally, I've been messing with the Aero Precision Solus actions that I pickup on sale a few times a year for under $700, and then I have a gunsmith or barrel builder custom build prefit barrels for me to my specs, and chambered for whatever I want. I just finished load development on my new custom Solus / Proof Research .25 Creedmoor. It's putting down sub-1/2 MOA 5-shot groups @ 100 with minimal load development. I'm sure if I wanted to really screw with it some more, I could get some 1/3 or even 1/4 MOA groups out of it, but for what I plan on using the rifle for, and the velocity I'm getting with my load combo, I'm very happy with how it's performing. I'm sure I could work up a load with Varget and get some tighter groups, but I'd also lose quite a bit of velocity for minimal improvement. But, not everything needs to be a 1/4 MOA rifle to enjoy it...Even though I am one of those folks who thinks anything above 3/4 MOA is unacceptable...Ironic, I know.

Here's a picture and a group from today...

IMG_9754.jpeg
image_cropper_82957909-02CC-4CB4-A8F4-86DB98C26A8F-485-000002A84CC08B50.jpeg

I bought a Rem 700 ADL in 300 WM, but decided to shoot it first before tearing down for the action for another project.
I put an aluminum chassis on it, threaded it for a muzzle brake, and took it to the range.
The first 5 shot group went into 1/2 MOA with 200 SMK handloads. Everything else stock off the shelf $540 Remington ADL 300 WM shot as well as a multi thousand dollar rifle.
Target in 1st picture. Factory Rem 300 WM in Alum chassis, $540 on sale plus $400 for the chassis.
So put the barreled action in an aluminum chassis, center feed mags increase the COAL to 3.715" on mine, but 3.850 mags are available for some chassis.
Allowing seating near the lands, and adding powder capacity, for more velocity.
The Australian shooting couple did the same thing with a factory 308 Win Police rifle, stock 26" barreled action put it in a chassis, and took it to 3000 yds with 2 hits in a row out of 10 tried.
The Rem 700 old and new have been good actions for custom builds.
Mine will shoot tiny groups, especially with a premium barrel.
With many different bullets and several powders... 13, 5 shot groups averaged .313" that day.
Almost a 1/4" rifle "all day long" for real. And easily so, with a better shooter.
Remington 700 actions old and new shoot very good. I use them almost exclusively for my custom builds ...
View attachment 8472507

Just like my savage :)

Reactions: 45-90