• We're live!

We've got the homepage updated and subscriptions are now managed through HideTV. If you run into any bugs please contact alexj-12 or use our contact form for help!

ENTER HIDETV VIEW THREAD

PRS Talk Impacting high past 700 yards???

Need to true your data. Spray a water mark line across your targets(horizontal). Take the data your kestrel is giving you as a starting point. Keep dialing down in your case till you are hitting on or very near the line. Do this for each distance that you have (700, 800, 900, 1000, etc) and right down what your actual dope is at those distances and then true your BC in the kestrel. There may be a custom curve for those bullets in the kestrel.

What Jet said, if you are using the AB curve just true up your muzzle velocity to make the Kestrel output true up to the actual dope needed to line up to watermark. If you are still high beyond 700 after truing MV then play with the BC by changing out of the AB curve.

I have found just truing MV works perfectly when using AB curve

Reactions: ma smith
What Jet said, if you are using the AB curve just true up your muzzle velocity to make the Kestrel output true up to the actual dope needed to line up to watermark. If you are still high beyond 700 after truing MV then play with the BC by changing out of the AB curve.

I have found just truing MV works perfectly when using AB curve
Thanks. I use the AB curve so I will have to do this.

AB I think says you True MV until you reach Mach 1.2 or 1.1 (transonic), and then you true BC. So at 700 yards nearly everything for PRS is going to be MV. Most BR cartridges are transonic at like 1100 (or whatever the math says).

Double check your wind directions, since wind direction has an effect on elevation.

I thought my kestrel was reading wind direction with a 6mph wind this weekend and shot high for a bit before seeing that the kestrel still had a 12:00 wind instead of 4:30 (the actual direction). The difference in dope at ~500 was .2 high with the 12:00, and I ended up sending it over the top a lot.

The most common cause of this issue is one or more incorrect inputs. Some of the most common are units being set to meters but range is in yards, incorrect scope heigh over bore in gun setup, and wind direction set to manual rather than with direction of fire.

Reactions: RTH1800
One other thing to validate is your fundamentals. I personally have observed myself missing high at long range, specifically using a bipod and rear bag, and tracked it down to insufficient shoulder connection combined with minimal rear bag pressure; under recoil, the poorly supported buttstock would drop, raising the muzzle and the POI.

Here's a little true story that may be relevant. I was in a Frank/Marc clinic at Mifflin...oh, maybe 3 years ago. Frank asked if he could shoot my rifle...of course I said yes.

He hammered the 600 yard target with my dope.

I jump down on the rifle...same dope...and I'm shooting high and missing the target. Frank was spotting but even I could see the splash on the berm behind the target.

Frank and Marc (really both...I got double teamed! haha) said I was letting my rear bag lean backwards. That is, it was not completely upright allowing the bag to hinge down under recoil and hence shoot high.

I said "no, really?" They both replied in unison...."yes, we saw you, don't argue". Me..."ah, ok" lol

I kept the bag upright and slammed that target repeatedly. Small fundamental error showing up at distance.

Might not be the OPs issue but its a lesson I haven't forgotten and may be of use.

What were the weather conditions?

Remember, your kestrel automatically calculates AJ. This means winds from the left push down on an RH twist barrel, while winds from the right push up. Ensure your azimuth and wind directions are correct. Also, note berms/obstacles underneath your line of fire. Depending on wind direction, they can push your impact high. Finally, remember, Sun's up, Gun's up. When you have a lot of mirage, the target will appear higher.

Last edited: