IMR4451 6.5creed and 140gr VLD target question

Krob95

Black Multicam Master Race
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Sep 7, 2019
    NoCo
    So I lucked into some Berger’s after developing a pretty good load with 42.3gr imr 4451 and 140gr eldm’s. Curious as to where to start with these VLD’s as far as powder charges go with the IMR4451. Using hornady brass and BR2 primers. Would it be safe to start back at 41gr and work my way up to 42.3gr again over a chrono (granted there’s no signs of pressure)

Last edited:
    So I lucked into some Berger’s after developing a pretty good load with 42.3gr imr 4451 and 140gr eldm’s. Curious as to where to start with these VLD’s as far as powder charges go with the IMR4451. Using hornady brass and BR2 primers. Would it be safe to start back at 41gr and work my way up to 42.3gr again over a chrono (granted there’s no signs of pressure)
    Always smart to go back 10%

All I can contribute is my current sweet spot of the BR-2's, 42.7 with both 140AMAX and 146 ELD. They both shoot 0.5 MOA if I do my part. The load is a tad hot and I need to back down to next lower mode but I don't have the time to get out and do it. Good luck with VLD's, I'll continue to watch thread because I always like knowing what my options are

Dropping 10% is going to have you working up your load from a long way off! (4.5 grains lower, basically) It's safe, but that's a lot of work up from there. 41 should be a safe starting point, but you're likely going to end up in the same neighborhood as your ELD-M load. In your situation, I'd back off about half a grain and ladder it again. Probably drop a little further, to 41.5, and run a ladder up to 42.5 or 43.0. You'll likely find your node in a similar spot, based on my previous loading with that powder.