Incredibly random yet oddly specific question- this one targeting longterm hockey fans...

LuckyDuck

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Nov 4, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    There's no two ways about this question- but for longtime hockey fans here I have a question about going to games of yesteryear and wondering if my memory is paying tricks on me. As a brief preamble- as "I" remember it, when I started going to hockey games decades ago- the ice rink was always... well colder and you just knew you had to dress a little warm and be wearing at least a sweatshirt while attending a game.

Fast-forward to 2024- for the first time in my life, I purchased season tickets to the local AHL team that I grew up watching (usually a game or two a year) and (1) admittedly this is a 'newish' stadium but (2) and the reason I'm asking, I would have absolutely been cooking had I worn anything other than a t-shirt at tonight's game.

I have no idea if my memory is playing tricks on me or if things just changed with how hockey rinks were maintained but danged if I don't remember having to dress warmly decades ago.

Can anyone here share their experience on hockey games and (if possible) relate that to how I remember things?

-LD

Reactions: Aftermath
    You are correct. My first game was the old Boston Garden, circa 1970. Freezing, even in the nose bleeds. The new Garden, long sleeve shirt (or team sweater) is fine. I'm guessing it's the new technology for keeping the ice cold without making the building cold as well.

You are correct. My first game was the old Boston Garden, circa 1970. Freezing, even in the nose bleeds. The new Garden, long sleeve shirt (or team sweater) is fine. I'm guessing it's the new technology for keeping the ice cold without making the building cold as well.
    Thank you for that- that actually makes me feel better that I wasn't completely off my rocker with how I remembered things. I was hoping that the explanation would be that something changed on how they kept the ice maintained but I was completely thrown off tonight wearing a t-shirt and still being hot during the game.

-LD

There's no two ways about this question- but for longtime hockey fans here I have a question about going to games of yesteryear and wondering if my memory is paying tricks on me. As a brief preamble- as "I" remember it, when I started going to hockey games decades ago- the ice rink was always... well colder and you just knew you had to dress a little warm and be wearing at least a sweatshirt while attending a game.

Fast-forward to 2024- for the first time in my life, I purchased season tickets to the local AHL team that I grew up watching (usually a game or two a year) and (1) admittedly this is a 'newish' stadium but (2) and the reason I'm asking, I would have absolutely been cooking had I worn anything other than a t-shirt at tonight's game.

I have no idea if my memory is playing tricks on me or if things just changed with how hockey rinks were maintained but danged if I don't remember having to dress warmly decades ago.

Can anyone here share their experience on hockey games and (if possible) relate that to how I remember things?

-LD
    Let's just say that you are hotter than you once were...

I'm going to derail my own post here I suppose but just have to say... hockey today is just not what it used to be and I'm not saying that's a good or bad thing either- it's just different. I remember it being a lot more physical, a LOT more fights, things of that nature.

As an example, albeit dated, I remember... oh it must have been well over 20 years ago by this point. Anyway, growing up in PA there was a tremendous frenzy in the hockey channels about Eric Lindros returning to the Philadelphia Flyers. As I remember it at least- he was out of the game because the league had a cap on the number of concussions one could have and still participate in the NHL (I may be completely wrong but that's how I remember it at least)

Anywho- there was a big hub-but with Lindros getting some sort of waiver and be allowed to play in the league, again (and my memory may be getting fuzzy) but the Flyers were at that point competing with the Devils for the Cup. I was (and in some ways still am a Devils fan, but to explain that, nothing good has ever come out of NJ except for that team and I was raised in Catholic School so to be a Devils fan was rather scandalous here in PA to set the stage at least)...

Anyway NHL hockey at whatever year it was used to be broadcasted on mainstream TV (this was before all of the strikes, the rule changes, etc) but I remember watching the game where the Flyers were playing the Devils for the Cup and after all the talk about Lindros returning to the Flyers, my memory be damned, he got hit so hard by Scott Stevens (I'm almost 100% sure of that) and if I remember things right, it was a super cheap shot as well. BUT- my point is, from what I remember, that was the end of Lindros coming back to the NHL and to double down- I'm pretty sure the Devils won the cup that year too.

Not trying to support nor detract- hell I don't even know if I remember things right anymore (going back to my original post about how I remember the hockey rink having a colder ambient temperature,) but that brought back some memories.

-LD