• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Install Harris BP on Anschutz 1416 Beavertail

pfitz

Private
Minuteman
Sep 6, 2011
Missouri
I am looking into installing a Harris S-BRM 6x9 on my Anschutz 1416D HB with a Beavertail stock with no installed sling swivels. What do I need to mount to the stock to attach the bipod? I am looking for suggestions that will allow me to remove the bipod and still use my front rest. Thanks in advance for the help.

IMG_0667.jpg

Re: Install Harris BP on Anschutz 1416 Beavertail

+1 on the stud install. You should have plenty of room to install a stud and attach your bipod.

You might even have room to leave the bipod attached and still use the rest. Be sure to center the stud precisely. You can install a screw type stud very simply. If you have the equipment and ability you can install a recessed receptacle that takes a threaded stud and it could be removed if desired.

I have the same bipod on my Annie 64 MPR and really like it with the pod lock.

Nice Annie and good luck with the bipod install.

Re: Install Harris BP on Anschutz 1416 Beavertail

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pfitz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am looking into installing a Harris S-BRM 6x9 on my Anschutz 1416D HB with a Beavertail stock with no installed sling swivels. What do I need to mount to the stock to attach the bipod? I am looking for suggestions that will allow me to remove the bipod and still use my front rest. Thanks in advance for the help.

IMG_0667.jpg

</div></div>
Since your 1416D doesn't have studs I surmise that it doesn't have an Accessory Rail on the bottom either. <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">IF</span></span> you're planning on installing a stud(s) on the bottom of the forearm you should know that Harris and other bipods don't work well on wide, flat forearms without the installation of an adapter that Harris markets specifically to address this problem. This problem is that the "saddle"/platform on a Harris is designed for use with narrow, rounded fore arms. The wide, flat fore arm of the 1416D "Beavertail" stock doesn't allow the "saddle"/platform to properly cradle the forearm or allow the bipod's two pincers to snug up as tightly as on stocks' with narrower fore ends. The result is inadequate support along the center of the "saddle/platform", and sometimes no matter how much you tighten the thumbscrew/screw that secures that sets the tension on the bipod stud the bipod will rotate. Repeated over-tightening can loosen the stud and/or damage the stock.

To help relieve this problem Harris sell the afore-mentioned adapter. The adapter is designed to fill the gap between the bottom of the forearm and the "saddle/platform" of the Harris, thus better supporting the saddle/platform. A member is selling one of these adapters in the FS section. Below are two quotes from another thread with some photos of a Harris # 9 Rail adapter and the Harris Forearm adapter on a B & C Medallist stock, as well as a combination of the <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">ACCU-SHOT BT28 AFAR Kit</span></span>/ADM QD mount that uses a Harris with the standard "saddle/platform". IMHO, both methods are rather klugey...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: squin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's some pics of the #9 adapter on a B&C Medalist stock.

20r9p1v.jpg

1rszro.jpg

2jcwtp4.jpg

29f9qma.jpg

29bew5t.jpg
</div></div>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: squin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Another option to consider is to add the AFAR rail adapter and use a quick disconnect on the bipod itself. I share a single Harris bipod across multiple rifles like this. Very sturdy and convenient. Cost a bit more, but you only need one bipod.

AFAR kit

ADM bipod adapter

2e22pmd.jpg

j0d8ck.jpg
</div></div>

IMHO, by the time you install a stud and buy the Harris bipod forearm adapter or install an Anschutz or other accessory rail on the bottom of the forearm so that you can use the <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">ACCU-SHOT BT28 AFAR Kit</span></span>/ADM QD that still uses the Harris with a "saddle/platform" (that is still rather klugey), you're better off to use the <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">ACCU-SHOT BT28 AFAR Kit</span></span> and a <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Larue LT706 QD Mount + Harris BRM-S</span></span> (Harris 6-9" Notched / Swivel Bipod). If your stock doesn't have the Rail you still need to install it, but its' a much more elegant and secure way to mount the bipod.

Plus, since you already have an existing Harris bipod, you can buy the LT706 QD Mount from Larue for $79.00 and convert your existing bipod stud mount Harris with the "saddle"/platform into a QD bipod. I bought a complete "Combo" from Larue, then later I bought the LT706 Mount ONLY to convert existing Harris bipods. And aside from aesthetics the LT706 + Harris has two other advantages over a standard bipod that attaches with a bipod stud and has a "saddle"/platform that bears against the bottom of the fore arm:

(a) The BT28's short picatinny rail provides a more more solid mounting point than the bipod stud and does not allow the Harris to rotate under recoil.

(b) The elimination of the bipod stud and the "saddle"/platform reduces stacking of unnecessary parts and lowers the overall height (and center of gravity) slightly, contributing to stability.

Below are some photos of a Larue LT706 + Harris BRM-S mounted on an ACCU-SHOT BT28 on my personal Tac Ops X-Ray 51. The Larue LT706 Harris BRM-S Combo also has a Gen 2 KMW Podloc mounted on it. The BT28 works so well that I bought 5 of the LT706 Mounts to convert more Harris bipods.

I highly recommend that you buy the KMW PodLoc for use on the Swivel-type (<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">"S"</span> Series</span>) Harris', as the huge, clunky Larue Pivot Tension Knob is so big theres' no clearance to grasp and turn the Pivot Tension Knob.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Tac Ops X-Ray 51 with BT28 Accessory Rail installed in Anschutz Rail with Harris BRM-S + LT706 QD Swivel Mount Combo</span></span> <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">+ KMW Gen 2 Pod-Loc:</span></span>
X-Ray51BT28RS8x6.jpg

X-Ray51BT28LS8x6.jpg

url]

url]

Keith