Into the Lands?

Re: Into the Lands?

Correct. But that's a long way to push a bullet into the rifling. Why do you ask? If it's for common reloading practices, this should be avoided. If you extract a loaded round .020 into the lands, you will most likely leave the bullet in the rifling, and the case will come out, and spill powder. So, why?

When loading into the lands, just a solid contact is all that's needed. Just touching gives both contact and non-contact among rounds, so a little more is needed for consistency. As pointed out, any additional is a source of problems.

It is doubtful that the bullet will engrave itself on the lands when the bolt closes. What happens is that the ogive on the lands pushes the bullet into the case concentrically to the final OAL.

The bullet may end up with a couple of thou of indentation on the lands during this process. The real engraving does not occur until the primer ignites and the powder starts to burn.

.2 into the lands is almost a quarter inch.

.020 isn't out of the question. blacken the bullet with a sharpie and look at the land tracks on the bullet.

on my .264s, i do this to try to maximize barrel life. seating to the lands mandates reducing the powder charge, and bullet velocity is zero when engaging the lands. add this to the bullet alignment thing and a reamer that cuts chamber throats shorter than mag length and things come together.

the .020" number is just a round number i pulled out of my ass, as i don't even measure how for into the lands i seat most of the time. i just seat into the lands and load up to signs of pressure. it also depends on where you measure first contact with the lands from. on the blackend bullet land tracks, sometimes the land tracks are longer than .020 with no real firm contact yet.

it's all about the chamber cut for a magazine length cartridge. good things happen.

i normally reduce the maximum charge by 10% and load up from there until i reach the signs of pressure i'm comfortable with. velocity does not equal a massive jump to the lands ALA Weatherby, but i'm looking for a mix of accuracy, velocity, and barrel life.

i don't have any of this in print, but it is certainly not too far outside the norm.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Harold Dale</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Confusion? <span style="font-weight: bold">0.20</span> into the lands. Does this means the ogive of the bullet is pushed 0.20 in to and cutting into the barrel rifling? I load off the ogive of the bullet,but its always been 0.20,0.10,0.05 before the ogive or is touching the lands, but never push into and I asume cutting into the rifling. Am I missing something? </div></div>

Are you sure it isn't .020. I think any more than this you will just push the bullet back when closing the bolt.

Keith