Intro into night vision hunting

OkieGunner21

Private
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2024
Oklahoma
Looking for some input regarding switching to night vision to night hunt instead of thermal. I have the Agm rattler ts25-256 thermal that I’ve been running and it seems to me that, as far as target acquisition goes, you can get into a “good” night vision setup for cheaper than you can get into a “good” thermal. From what I understand it’s cheaper to get a better IR Illuminator than a thermal with I higher resolution thermal censor. Plus I like the fact that you can differentiate your surroundings better with night vision where as if I miss coyote with a thermal it’s common that I shine a light and there’s a lot thicker brush there than I could see through my scope. Am I on the right track with my thinking? If so what are some good options for night vision optics and IR lights for sub $1500? Thank you

Thermal can see into brush way better than NV. If you shine a light, IR or otherwise, a lot of it will bounce back at you off the brush and washout the image.

$1500 NV ? You must mean digital NV. Digital NV is on the way, but in terms of ability to see well at night, it isn't there yet. Analog (tube based) NV clipons like PVS-27s and such, run about $5k ... a little less if you can find a bargin. But they can't see into brush better than thermal. Thermal is king seeing into brush.

Yes there’s no doubt a thermal can see better through brush you are correct. But from my experience it can see though it a little to well hence the fact it can see through stuff a bullet would never make it through without being deflected. What I’m thinking is I can get a more accurate view of what’s between me and my target.

Having both thermal and NV are definitely the way to go but I also know money doesn’t grow on trees. I have a set of dtnvs’ with very high spec tubes and run only full power LAM’s(peq15, NGAL, and DBAL A3)and a lot of nights i still can’t see animals until my illuminator hits their eyes or they get close enough I hear them and can know exactly where to look with the illuminator. Thermal is king in most situations for detection but NV has it’s place as well.

Reactions: OkieGunner21
That’s true for sure. I actually didn’t know until recently that IR would make eye shine and that is super cool but is definitely no match for a full body heat signature. If all I hunted was 10,000 acre wheat fields there’s a definite answer on which is better but there’s definitely some middle ground between the two that is king in bottomland type country I just have to find it. You’ve been very helpful

Reactions: black5.3
Cheapest setup I’ve found for shots out to 300m with PID is a SIMRAD KN203 with Luna ELIR. If 40% or greater illum you won’t need the illuminator, but nice to have just in case. But. You’ll also need a tripod as it’s a heavy SOB. Great value in those units if you’re willing to accept the weight penalty.

I’ve got a tripod and arca rails on pretty much everything so I will definitely give those models a look. Is the coyote canon IR light going to be overkill? I’ve seen it everywhere online and most everyone says good things about them. Most people that don’t like them say they don’t like that it’s bulky. Thoughts?