Is Bohica Arms out of business??

B

bubbapug1

I bought a Bohica upper a few months ago. I broke a small part on it (no fault of the maker) and have been trying to reach them.

Their number is disconnected and emails go unanswered, but the website is still up.

Does anyone know if they went out of business?

Re: Is Bohica Arms out of business??

Try BARFCOM.

That is more or less where Chris started his business out and where the bulk of his customer base seems to originate. Someone over there in their 50cal subforum is more likely to have info (contact or otherwise) for Bohica beyond the basic 800-number and e-mail listed on his website which apparently aren't working for you guys.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Northern50</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bend Over Here It Comes Again??? </div></div>

Brutally ironic, ain't it!!??!!
wink.gif

It is a company (one-man shop actually) that makes 50BMG AR-15 conversion uppers. See here for more info:

http://www.bohicaarms.com/

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Northern50</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bend Over Here It Comes Again??? </div></div>

Brutally ironic, ain't it!!??!!
wink.gif

It is a company (one-man shop actually) that makes 50BMG AR-15 conversion uppers. See here for more info:

http://www.bohicaarms.com/ </div></div>

Oh I know what it is. I just find it ironic how someone builds their company around the acronym, and is now in question of being out of business. All would hope that the guy is so busy turning parts out he doesn't have time to get back to the phone or computer for a few days at a time.

I don't want to judge them too harshly as the upper I bought seems to be fine, but no answers to repeated emails and no phone line working kind of speaks for itself. However, I got swamped at work earlier this year and I know what its like to be so behind all you an do is deal with the messes directly before you.

Its frustrating when you need to get a part to get rolling again.

I think next time I will listen to my amigo Impactco and buy a Ferret.

Moving

I spoke with Sandy a few weeks ago and she said they were moving to a new location to provide more room for their expanding needs. They also make (or made) precision medical equipment which was their main CNC work until they started up BohicaArms.com, to make the 50 Cal uppers.

Sandy also said that they sold every upper they had in stock at the last gun show and could have sold a bunch more. She said that due to moving their shop to the new location, they would not be able to provide any new uppers until at least August.

Email never was that great so that is no surprise that you aren't getting replies to email. They have also been a bit lacking in marketing and customer relations over the years but if given time they have always taken care of their customers from what I have seen. I guess they saw no point in taking phone calls if they had no product to sell, thought no working phone number sure doesn't give one much confidence.

If I had to guess I would say that some time between now and August either a new phone or their old one will be working. For the money their upper is clearly the best thing going in 50 BMG so I hope they don't disappear.

As of this morning (5 AM Arizona time) their number was ringing without the "not a working number message" like a couple of days ago. I will try around noon to see if anyone answers.

Re: Moving

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Don in Idaho</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> For the money their upper is clearly the best thing going in 50 BMG so I hope they don't disappear.
</div></div>

Until they explode and try to kill you...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RegularGuy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Don in Idaho</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> For the money their upper is clearly the best thing going in 50 BMG so I hope they don't disappear.
</div></div>

Until they explode and try to kill you... </div></div>

AFAIK there has been ONE Bohica out of battery ignition and it happened to a guy who was using a HAMMER to close the bolt on reloaded rounds that were oversized. They are extremely well made products and the maker stands behind them.

I have seen more catastrophic failures on Remington 700s and Barrett 82A1s than that and they weren't caused by user error.

I think you can find more catastrophic failures of other .50BMG's that you would with a BOHICA. A lot of people seem to knock the BOHICA because it's an inexpensive entry into the .50BMG realm, which has traditionally been rather exclusive due to the costs associated with shooting a .50. I owned a BOHICA upper; and currently own a Barrett M99.

In fact, I've seen pictures of more than one Barrett M82A1 kaboom, one Cobb kaboom, and I believe that it was an ALS .50BMG kaboom at FCSA a few years ago that triggered a safety recall to prevent an OOBD on that rifle.

Despite BOHICA-bashers, the rifle is on-par with all other .50BMG's for safety - if not better. The only BOHICA kaboom I've heard of is indeed one that involved a user who loaded his ammo progressively hotter (presumably to find what worked best) and had to use a HAMMER to close the bolt because of his loads. Pics of that one are here: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=258040

However, I will say that their customer service has been pretty bad since Day 1. Furthermore, any company that operates by policies like this:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess they saw no point in taking phone calls if they had no product to sell...</div></div>
doesn't instill confidence. What about helping customers who already bought those uppers that they sold out of? Tough luck? We don't answer our phones unless we have product to sell?
crazy.gif

Has anyone had any luck getting a hold of theses guys?

I recently had a kaboom with my Bohica and would very much like to speak with them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kanda242</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anyone had any luck getting a hold of theses guys?

I recently had a kaboom with my Bohica and would very much like to speak with them. </div></div>

Oh man... you can't say that in a public forum and NOT provide details.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jtb33</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kanda242</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anyone had any luck getting a hold of theses guys?

I recently had a kaboom with my Bohica and would very much like to speak with them. </div></div>

Oh man... you can't say that in a public forum and NOT provide details. </div></div>

+1 Inquiring minds want to know.

I'll stick with my Barrett. It's like soap on a rope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Don in Idaho</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well quite some time has passed, no response to emails, their phone is not working at all.... looks like they are AWOL.

FYI the Barrett isn't immune to catastrophic failures. Here's one.

http://wethearmed.com/index.php?topic=3265.0 </div></div>

There is a BIG difference between a rifle going KABOOM because of a mechanical/structural problem with the rifle itself as compared with some numbnut from Honduras (i.e. - the guy in the link you provided) who apparently didn't know how to handle a hangfire. Live round, squeezed trigger, click...nothing happens...SOOOO, genius goes and yanks open the bolt to extract the round and KABOOM...and Out of Battery Discharge that resulted in the rifle being FUBAR'd and the shooter taking it on the chin (or jaw if you prefer)!
wink.gif

User Error does NOT = Catastrophic Rifle Failure that can be blamed on the rifle or the MFG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Don in Idaho</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well quite some time has passed, no response to emails, their phone is not working at all.... looks like they are AWOL.

FYI the Barrett isn't immune to catastrophic failures. Here's one.

http://wethearmed.com/index.php?topic=3265.0 </div></div>

There is a BIG difference between a rifle going KABOOM because of a mechanical/structural problem with the rifle itself as compared with some numbnut from Honduras (i.e. - the guy in the link you provided) who apparently didn't know how to handle a hangfire. Live round, squeezed trigger, click...nothing happens...SOOOO, genius goes and yanks open the bolt to extract the round and KABOOM...and Out of Battery Discharge that resulted in the rifle being FUBAR'd and the shooter taking it on the chin (or jaw if you prefer)!
wink.gif

User Error does NOT = Catastrophic Rifle Failure that can be blamed on the rifle or the MFG </div></div>

I didn't know the cause of the blow up on that Barrett, but based on your post it appears that it was a user related kaboom, as was the blow up on the FAR 50, so you are correct. the term "failure" doesn't apply since there was no failure on the part of the equipment in either instance.

As noted previously, the ONLY known kaboom of a Bohica was caused by USER ERROR.

The guy was hammering on the bolt handle trying to chamber reloaded ammo that was too tight for the chamber. Not one single documented case (Unknown cause on the single post with zero info above) of a failure due to the design / construction of the FAR 50 upper itself.

Sorry for the delayed response. My email preferences were not set correctly and I did not get a notification that there had been any activity on this thread.

I had the rifle for about 6 months and I had taken it out shooting many times before it had an issue. On that day I had put about 10 rounds through it and just ejected the spent cartridge. I inserted the next round and began to close the bolt. Before the bolt was fully closed it detonated. The explosion knocked me off the bench and I landed on the ground.

I take gun safety very seriously and I was wearing eye protection. If I hadn't been wearing glasses I would be blind. The good people at the ER pulled a lot of brass from my face and the glasses were trash. My face healed fine, but my right arm and hand took the brunt of the explosion. It did leave me with a number of scars and shattered my right thumb in 3 places. At the end of the day I was very fortunate as I walked away with all my parts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kanda242</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry for the delayed response. My email preferences were not set correctly and I did not get a notification that there had been any activity on this thread.

I had the rifle for about 6 months and I had taken it out shooting many times before it had an issue. On that day I had put about 10 rounds through it and just ejected the spent cartridge. I inserted the next round and began to close the bolt. Before the bolt was fully closed it detonated. The explosion knocked me off the bench and I landed on the ground.

I take gun safety very seriously and I was wearing eye protection. If I hadn't been wearing glasses I would be blind. The good people at the ER pulled a lot of brass from my face and the glasses were trash. My face healed fine, but my right arm and hand took the brunt of the explosion. It did leave me with a number of scars and shattered my right thumb in 3 places. At the end of the day I was very fortunate as I walked away with all my parts.
</div></div>

Wow! Glad you're OK and healed.

So did you contact BOHICA? What was determined to be the cause?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kanda242</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry for the delayed response. My email preferences were not set correctly and I did not get a notification that there had been any activity on this thread.

</div></div>

Kanda --

Were you shooting at ASR in LA? Same thing happened to a guy at my local range. Seriously dangerous. Glad you are ok.

MV

Unfortunately I can't say what happened for sure, but I do believe that while I was closing the bolt the hammer went forward. The rifle was in more pieces than I was willing to run around and pick up given the circumstances.

I haven't been able to get a hold of Bohica Arms. I was hoping that posting here might help me find them. Their phone is off, I've driven to the physical location listed on my receipt, gone to gun shows looking for them, and tried emailing them.

This happened in Arizona out on Table Mesa road which is just north of Phoenix.

This is a picture of my arm once we made it to the ER.

Arm.jpg

When the bohica upper first came out I was on the waiting list for almost a year. The owner would continuously give ship dates and then not come through. Eventually I had enough and asked for a refund. After that They dodged me for weeks and I was never able to contact them again. . I eventually had to contact my credit card company to recover my money.

Looking back I am glad I went with 50 bmg rifles from more established companies with tried and true designs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nevada Hunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dont know about the rest of you,but I sure as heck aint never buying a 50,as there is absoulutely no reason to have one. </div></div>

ani-popcorndeer.gif

Josh

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nevada Hunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dont know about the rest of you,but I sure as heck aint never buying a 50,as there is absoulutely no reason to have one.</div></div>

I have no doubt that I could look at a list of everything most people own and state the same thing about 90% of it. There is no reason that I "need" to have one. However my reason for buying one was based on my love of shooting, the level of skill this rifle requires of me, and the challenge it provides. Even after everything that I went through I can't wait to own and fire another 50.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kanda242</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Unfortunately I can't say what happened for sure, but I do believe that while I was closing the bolt the hammer went forward. The rifle was in more pieces than I was willing to run around and pick up given the circumstances.

I haven't been able to get a hold of Bohica Arms. I was hoping that posting here might help me find them. Their phone is off, I've driven to the physical location listed on my receipt, gone to gun shows looking for them, and tried emailing them.

This happened in Arizona out on Table Mesa road which is just north of Phoenix.

This is a picture of my arm once we made it to the ER.

Arm.jpg
</div></div>

SHIT!

I would be at my lawyers office on the ready to sue these guys.... thats absurd

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kanda242</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nevada Hunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dont know about the rest of you,but I sure as heck aint never buying a 50,as there is absoulutely no reason to have one.</div></div>

I have no doubt that I could look at a list of everything most people own and state the same thing about 90% of it. There is no reason that I "need" to have one. However my reason for buying one was based on my love of shooting, the level of skill this rifle requires of me, and the challenge it provides. Even after everything that I went through I can't wait to own and fire another 50. </div></div>

Can i get the specs on your lower?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nevada Hunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dont know about the rest of you,but I sure as heck aint never buying a 50,as there is absoulutely no reason to have one. </div></div>
Being able to launch a 750 grain projectile at 2,600 fps is reason enough for me
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nevada Hunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dont know about the rest of you,but I sure as heck aint never buying a 50,as there is absoulutely no reason to have one. </div></div>We don't need fully detached houses, fancy clothing, or most of our personal possessions, or art, or jewelery, or luxury cars, or motorcycles that will go 170 mph. Most of the time we don't even need our guns. What's your point again? Oh, that you choose to never buy a .50. Well, when you make that choice maybe take a moment to thank your country for having the choice to make.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tigerbikes</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nevada Hunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dont know about the rest of you,but I sure as heck aint never buying a 50,as there is absoulutely no reason to have one. </div></div>
Being able to launch a 750 grain projectile at 2,600 fps is reason enough for me
smile.gif
. </div></div>
That's what I'm saying!

I used to own one of the "bohiccups" as they are known..and word on the street is they are done from several other forums.
As to the Kaboom ??
There have been quite a few "up-grades" (Bolt,bolt handle,firing pin,retainers..etc..etc..)to the uppers over the years..much of this info. was not passed on to the owners and you pretty much had to gather your own "NEW STYLE" parts....Not saying what happened to you but there is an issue with the old style firing pins ..with the Wolff HD Trigger springs (and a few other heavy spring kits ) the hammer would MUSHROOM the tip of the firing pin causing it to become wedged in the bolt assy. mine used to do this every several rounds until I filed/poished down the pin to allow for clearance ....I Still checked to make sure firing pin had retracted after EVERY SHOT Upon contacting CHRIS about this he replied ..oh yea we got a new pin assy out that will cure this problem ...me: cool send me one...Chris: send me $60 ??? so I had to pay to have a known defect corrected !! I sold that POS soon after .... and I really hate to see you got hurt , GOOD LUCK trying to run him down..P.S .

Original poster >>my first post here but if you need more info PM me and I can give you links to the other forums

I can tell you what caused that KABOOM. Not the hammer going forward before the bolt was in battery. If you put the recoil spring in place behind the bolt which Bohica says to remove and then hit the bolt release the bolt will fly forward and when it drives the case into the chamber the firing pin will still be traveling forward. This is happening while the lugs are not in battery and when the firing pin hits the primer you have an out of battery detonation. With all the pieces of brass that will end up in your arms and anything else in the way. DO NOT PUT THE RECOIL SPRING BEHIND THE BOLT IN THE STOCK. IT WILL HURT YOU BUT IT'S NOT BOHICA'S FAULT. Again the hammer cannot hit the firing pin unless the bolt lugs are engaged. The opening will not allow that.

It is very sad to see someone get hurt by their own firearm and I do hope that he, and the others, makes a full recovery.

In my professional opinion though, unless a customer modifies a weapon and renders it unsafe, there is nothing that a shooter can do to cause a weapon to malfunction. Let me clarify that; there shouldn’t be the possibility of a malfunction from normal to severe use. This includes closing the bolt with a hammer, which is considered pretty normal for some 50 caliber rifles seen on the lines of competition.

What is ridiculous is that there is a cult mentality to protect a defective weapon and the company that makes it, and this mentality is lead by the manufacturer. Had it been only one OOBD, which I consider one too many and inexcusable, there would be lingering questions and a shadow of doubt. However, we have seen numerous reports online of this design, from several manufacturers, having an OOBD. This is just the tip of the iceberg as there are many more catastrophic failures which have not been publicized on the internet.

What has been in plain sight and clear to see is that this company, from day one, has had a flagrant disregard for the customer. It’s not in the day to day behavior that one should be judged but in how they respond to the challenges of business that is the real tell tale of a company’s integrity.

The 50 caliber industry and the sport associated with it have had many challenges over the past 28+ years, mainly in showing that it is a viable sporting caliber and dispelling the myths and stigma that were associated with this awesome caliber. A company like this, its owner and the events surrounding them does nothing but erode the prestige of this sport and the fine companies that support it. And all for what, a cheaper way to get into shooting this caliber?

Ten years ago I pioneered the bolt action 50BMG upper concept, and the bar was set high. I accomplished exactly what I set out to do, to make a unique 50caliber that would perform at the level of the other rifles seen in competition but at a lower cost. However, it is not by any means cheap. And there are those among my peers that had other goals, which they too accomplished, and make a very affordable yet safe 50 caliber rifles. But cheap is not a word that is legitimately used in conjunction with this sport and I think this phrase sums it up quite nicely;

Good thing no cheap and cheap thing no good.

Certainly the company and product in question have proven this statement.

Dave

Wow! After reading some pretty negative things about the "bohiccup" I opted for a State Arms when I bought mine this year. I am so glad I saved the extra cash and waited on my .50 purchace now. I hope you can get ahold of them and get things situated. Like a previous poster said I think I would have my lawyer on speed dial. Especially if they are ignoring your every attempt at reaching them. Good Luck with everything!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ron Durall</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can tell you what caused that KABOOM. Not the hammer going forward before the bolt was in battery. If you put the recoil spring in place behind the bolt which Bohica says to remove and then hit the bolt release the bolt will fly forward and when it drives the case into the chamber the firing pin will still be traveling forward. This is happening while the lugs are not in battery and when the firing pin hits the primer you have an out of battery detonation. With all the pieces of brass that will end up in your arms and anything else in the way. DO NOT PUT THE RECOIL SPRING BEHIND THE BOLT IN THE STOCK. IT WILL HURT YOU BUT IT'S NOT BOHICA'S FAULT. Again the hammer cannot hit the firing pin unless the bolt lugs are engaged. The opening will not allow that. </div></div>
Ron ,that is an interesting take , never thought about that one !
Since I sold mine I can't check this out . But as I stated, mine would mushroom the pin at the hammer end , jamming it into the bolt / firing pin portal ( more than once I had to use a small punch to get it to back out of the bolt ).now in this scenario ... If you were to shove the bolt forward quickly and with force as most do when chambering a round ..the stuck out protruding pin had the possibility of setting off a round without being chambered properly..

Twisted308, I've not run into any mushroom problem with the firing pin in any of my friends or my Bohica but I can understand where your coming from. I had a friend talk me into putting the recoil spring behind the bolt and I realized what a danger it could be. It feels neat when you release the bolt but I can see the danger in it and would never let it chamber a loaded round that way.

I will watch for a mushroomed firing pin. I do have the new one in my rifle. Thank you for the heads up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MinorDamage</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nevada Hunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dont know about the rest of you,but I sure as heck aint never buying a 50,as there is absoulutely no reason to have one. </div></div>

ani-popcorndeer.gif

Josh </div></div>

That kind of thinking is what has caused this country to get so far out of wack like it is. If you don't want to buy one fine but don't try and make that choice for other's.

Maybe I missed it in all the posts but does anyone know what powder was being used in the shells in the pics of the posted shots when the mishap occurred? H50 or US869 or ???
I saw handprinted lettering on each case that appears to me to be number of grains in that particular case.
I have a new Bohica MK4 and have cases prepped very similar as the pictures show. I am using US869 powder and was curious as to what charge was in the case that went off to cause the damage as well as which powder itself.

Its a manufacturing defect anyway you look at it,thats why the manufacture keeps updating the parts all the time plin and simple,I would be suing them by now simply because of there total lack of communication with the poster that was injured...

So...the answer is...out of business??

I think so. I bought mine on a whim. I have looked at the bolt closely and the hammer will not have clearance to strike the primer until the bolt is in battery. The gun shoots fine, the parts are robust, but it is not the quality of a Ferret. Maybe I will move up one day, but here in Cali we aren't even supposed to shoot 50 bmg rifles bought after the ban. I rigged up a recoil device for mine and bought some spade grips to beat teh ban on rifles...but usually I just shoot my M3HB instead.

As to powder, I use WC872...$40.00 for eight pounds...can't go wrong with that....

DSC00892.jpg

DSC00812.jpg

Hello everyone,

I apologize for posting and not answering some of the questions that were left. I have been overseas and I just returned last week.

Today I attended a gun show here in Phoenix, AZ and I found the people that sold me the 50. They are no longer working under the Bohica name. The new name under which they are selling rifles under is Valley Ordinance Works, LLC. Same people, same product, new name.