Is it military mill rad or true mill rad?

Alan Warner

Private
Minuteman
Jun 24, 2003
Keene, NH
Have had some interest from prospective buyers about making our ELR adj. Scope base in millrad.
I'm good with that but my research has shown a deviation of military / true values. So, what are the makers using? ( THE MILITARY ROUNDED OFF)
Thanks,
Alan

I'm not sure it will make much difference if it's just a base.

Most companies are making and lots of guys are shooting MOA bases, and shooting MIL adjustable scopes.

As long as guys know approx how much additional elevation they will gain, you should be in good shape.

If I'm wrong, someone please chime in.

If you want your "mil" to be the angle subtended by one unit as seen from 1,000 units away, it had better be a true milliradian; i.e., 1/(1000*2*pi) of a circle. There are 6283.185308... milliradians per full revolution.
Jim Boatright

Most companies are making and lots of guys are shooting MOA bases, and shooting MIL adjustable scopes.

As long as guys know approx how much additional elevation they will gain, you should be in good shape.

Makes sense. The scope is going to be compensated back to the “zero” of the shooters choice, only limited by internal travel. It seems you could make a base with your own made up unit of measurement and it wouldn’t matter as long as it doesn’t exceed the internal travel ability. The “Spuhradian”. It equals 6 MILS. I made that up 🍻

Reactions: PinesAndProjectiles
Have had some interest from prospective buyers about making our ELR adj. Scope base in millrad.
I'm good with that but my research has shown a deviation of military / true values. So, what are the makers using? ( THE MILITARY ROUNDED OFF)
Thanks,
Alan
I wondered when someone was going to get around to that.

Make it in true MRAD please.

You would be correct if it were a base in which the amount of tilt is fixed. But it isn't.

Reactions: PinesAndProjectiles
Is it not already graded in mil?
1612368547608.png

Reactions: 308pirate
I’d rather it be an integer number of mrad, instead of moa-equivalent, which is I think what they’re doing.

A significant portion of Warner Tool's client base wants stuff in MOA and by having the base marked in MOA on one side and its mil equivalent on the other he doesn't have to manufacture and stock two SKUs.

The only change I would make would be to round the 35.56 mils to one decimal place as that matches the finest adjustment increment in pretty much every scope out there.

ost likely I’d rather it be an integer number of mrad, instead of moa-equivalent, which is I think what they’re doing.
That's the objective. Trying to make it usable by a few select Marines. OOOPS, I said that out loud! Crayons sold separately.
Alan
I’d rather it be an integer number of mrad, instead of moa-equivalent, which is I think what they’re doing.
Spot on. Making it in mil will most likely yield increments of 0, 10, 20, 30, and 40. Making the front and rear blocks are time consuming and we never know what action is next till we get an order. Hardened and ground A-2 with locations all within .0005 true position. Usually better than that.
5 positions and four different sine bar lengths. Running clearances are .00015 to .0002.

Thanks to you all for the info.
Alan

• Haha
Reactions: camotoe and gnochi