Is it normal that new AI's are hard to cycle?

You mean like this? :ROFLMAO:

You mean like this? :ROFLMAO:
Wtf, lol

The bolt needs so much force, I almost lift the gun

Man, that's ugly, on the "repair" job.
Bolts should always operate smoothly.... with a bit of effort only on cocking, either opening or closing.

If you take a coast through the AI pic thread and a few others you’ll see this mentioned many times.

Welcome my brother to the

#12lbsboltliftgang

Assuming this is an ATX?

My ATX takes several more lbs of force to open the bolt. Mine actually measured 12 lbs hence where the 12 lbs bolt lift gang for life came along

My ATX bolt swapped into my AT action is just as smooth as my AT with the AT bolt

AI’s in general are a decent bolt lift. But it’s a noticeable difference between my two

• Wow
Reactions: Cody S
What AI do you have?

I would say my AXSR feels like it takes 4-5 times more force to open than my Impact 737 build. Both are smooth in their own way, but the AI will never be a super light opening action.

If you take a coast through the AI pic thread and a few others you’ll see this mentioned many times.

Welcome my brother to the

#12lbsboltliftgang

Assuming this is an ATX?

My ATX takes several more lbs of force to open the bolt. Mine actually measured 12 lbs hence where the 12 lbs bolt lift gang for life came along

My ATX bolt swapped into my AT action is just as smooth as my AT with the AT bolt

AI’s in general are a decent bolt lift. But it’s a noticeable difference between my two
Currently an AI but switching to an ATX. Thanks for the welcome. It would be great for it to become smoother. Never had that problems on my old remington

Currently an AI but switching to an ATX. Thanks for the welcome. It would be great for it to become smoother. Never had that problems on my old remington
You’re not happy with current AI but switching to ATX?

I got news for you….you won’t be happier

What model are you shooting currently?

Thousands of rounds on my ATX and it hasn’t improved. You can place the rifle on the ground and almost lift it sideways trying to cycle the bolt. My AXSR, to me, feels a little better. It’s just one of those things. I remember a guy on this forum saying his AI was the best feeling action and I’m willing to bet it was the only action he ever had. I have an old savage action that feels like a dream compared to my AIs.

Old aw and ae feel like butter and have better factory triggers, fight me, lol. I'm probably considered low brow for just owning an ae mk2 and mk3 currently, but they are smoother and lighter bolt lift than the at or ax that I owned.

My first AI was an AE MK3, followed by an AIAT. I’ll agree that the bolt lift was a little lighter and the trigger was better on the AE, but my particular AT was no slouch. The bolt lift IS heavier than a 90* bolt, but both the lift and the overall travel were slick as snot on my AT. Wish I still had it!

Reactions: 6brshooter
While am no longer an AI kool aid drinker, It doesn't take that much force on the ATX to open the bolt. Its not butter smooth, but I've never had an issue noticing bolt lift unless I put a bad round in there (over pressure).

You;ll never mistake it for a an R700 clone custom, but OTOH you shouldn't have to hammer on it. 1 handed and unnoticible unless its especially tight chamber.

People bitch about the dumbest things. If bolt lift is your problem with AI, go to the gym or eat your wheaties. (Or send it to AI to get fixed).

Unless you're doing benchrest, they're pretty sweet usually.
if it's just slightly heavier than your average 90* then that's how it's supposed to feel.
when mine was kitted out it felt really nice with the bolt lift and I didn't mind it at all, plus the thing never ever gave me the first problem.
but I've read shit online about how a few of these new atx's are extra tough.
my bet, if it's not a burr or something in need of light sanding, it's probably in the spring being too strong.
to AI that's a feature and you're SOL. to be fair, I really appreciated a strong enough spring to fight through the shit, but it simply makes for a heavier bolt lift.
I'd lube it and shoot a barrel out. if you really don't like it, sell the gun without a barrel and you won't come out too bad.

AI’s have nothing on bolt lift compared to the Badger 2013 SA that I had. My AI’s are downright light compared to that thing.
I've got 2 2013 and there a bit different set ups with way different bolt lifts. The magnum sa was a new action that was parked and standard fp spring. The other sa 308 action was bought used and bolt and action were nitrided, I also don't know if fp spring is lighter/cut down, but that lift is equal or better than my AEs and solus.

I've got 2 2013 and there a bit different set ups with way different bolt lifts. The magnum sa was a new action that was parked and standard fp spring. The other sa 308 action was bought used and bolt and action were nitrided, I also don't know if fp spring is lighter/cut down, but that lift is equal or better than my AEs and solus.

My 2013 had a nitrided action/bolt and the lift felt at least 30% heavier than my AE MKIII and both of my AI AT’s. It was even worse when I put a AI ball type knob on it over the Badger knob it came with.

I suppose the AT-X may be worse than my 2014 and 2015 AT’s are, however, I doubt I’ll ever see one in person to compare them.

My 2013 had a nitrided action/bolt and the lift felt at least 30% heavier than my AE MKIII and both of my AI AT’s. It was even worse when I put a AI ball type knob on it over the Badger knob it came with.

I suppose the AT-X may be worse than my 2014 and 2015 AT’s are, however, I doubt I’ll ever see one in person to compare them.
I cycled a couple ATs and and ATXs the last time I stopped at Mile High Shooting Supply and the ATX bolt was significantly heavier than the AT. Not sure why, but that was my observation. The AT felt more in line with my AXSR.

Is it a world ending difference, no, but I can understand why someone might be off put if they hadn't tried one before spending $4k on one.

Reactions: JB.IC
I cycled a couple ATs and and ATXs the last time I stopped at Mile High Shooting Supply and the ATX bolt was significantly heavier than the AT. Not sure why, but that was my observation. The AT felt more in line with my AXSR.

Is it a world ending difference, no, but I can understand why someone might be off put if they hadn't tried one before spending $4k on one.

That sucks if that’s the case as I love the AI actions that I have.

My Bighorn TL2 action with a timed Bix N Andy trigger is awesome, however, I still prefer my AI’s as I prefer 60deg actions.

I have to buy before I try out things where I live so the first time I handled an AI is when my MKIII was delivered to my FFL many years ago. They’ve been my favorite rifle ever since.

The TRG-42 that I just got is very nice though as well.

I'm thinking the previous owner of my nitrided 2013 did some spring relaxing. I do have a giessele 700 on the nitride 2013 and a timed bix on the parked 2013.

I had a 2008, it had been sent back to get bolt molded to 2013 style. It wasn't bad, I guess I just don't get hung up on bolt lift like some dudes. I can tell the difference between a defiance and ai, but the difference is negligible to me and not a deterrent to fast, accurate shooting.

I had a 2008, it had been sent back to get bolt molded to 2013 style. It wasn't bad, I guess I just don't get hung up on bolt lift like some dudes. I can tell the difference between a defiance and ai, but the difference is negligible to me and not a deterrent to fast, accurate shooting.

Yeah I don't normally care about bolt lift very much, however, at least when comparing the Badger 2013 action to my then new SRS A1 the SRS had a much better feel to it which is something I never thought I'd say as I really didn't like the SRS.

At any rate the SRS A1 and the Badger went away and I got another AT and a TRG-42 in 300WM instead and I'm much, much happier.