• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Is there a typical lifespan for an action?

2aBaC̶a̶

Humans are amusing
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2019
I Da ho
In the market for a long action and considering a used custom and that got me wondering...

Do actions themselves have a typical round count lifespan before they are considered worn out? Do people shoot out actions or is an action pretty much good for life?

Would it be different for larger or magnum calibers?

Could you put a round count on what would be considered like new, used, and heavily used?

A used action is one that's already broken in.

If it's in good shape, I personally wouldn't worry about buying a used action. Just make sure the lugs are in good shape and not galled.

There's no rule of thumb for action life. I can't imagine there's very many actions that have actually "expired" from use.

I wouldn't worry about it. I have my original 700 VS .308 action still from 1993 and it's been through 6 barrels and well over 50,000 rounds and still going strong.

• Love
Reactions: kabarNC
There is a guy on the AI thread a few pages back that someone on the thread said had over 100k + rounds on his AI action. Most actions will outlive you if you take care of them. Then again, besides this site and or ar15, most people will nvr put 10K rounds on any action.

There is a guy on the AI thread a few pages back that someone on the thread said had over 100k + rounds on his AI action. Most actions will outlive you if you take care of them. Then again, besides this site and or ar15, most people will nvr put 10K rounds on any action.

I think he's over 150K rounds now.