• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Suppressors is this safe for my suppressor

black_ump

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2007
erie,pa 16334
my aac defender is made of aluminum, well instead of bugging you guys i did search on yahoo for ways to majorly clean this can and came across this post that said gemtec recommended 50/50 mineral spirits and automatic transmission fluid

any one else ever herd of this ? I know for steel cans people mix something called "the dip" and its 50/50 peroxide and vinegar but thats not good for aluminum.

now i remember every thing else every one said about things like slip2k and all that, i was just curious about the above atf and mineral spirits mix thing. Its cheap and if its safe for aluminum its something i can just pick up at walmart and have on hand thats all

Re: is this safe for my suppressor

I don't know about ATF and Mineral spirits, that seems a bit harsh, but I can tell you don't put aluminum in a vinegar and peroxide solution. It creates a peracetic acid solution that eats aluminum quite well and fast. Besides the only real reason to clean a suppressor would be to get rid of the lead build-up, ie: 22LR cans.

Do you understand the chemical reactions that are associated with certain metals? That lesson will help you from destroying a perfectly good can if you continue to insist on cleaning them. Don't use water based solutions like Slips, Simple Green, or MP-7, they will corrode aluminum. Don't use ammoniated solutions like Hoppes #9, GI Bore Cleaner, and Sweets as they will damage aluminum as well. Definitely don't use vinegar and peroxide.

Why are you obsessed with cleaning cans? Dirty = Quiet on centerfire.

Did you post this on SilencerTalk the other day?

How did I miss that thread.
crazy.gif

Stop worrying about the little things. You are obsessed with the most minute details.

You don't need to clean a suppressor unless its a take apart 22lr. I heard that if you spray your keyboard full of break free it will quiet the keys and work better. try that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Badshot308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Before you risk ruining or weakening the can, y don't you just contact AAC to get their professional advise. Here's their contact page http://www.advanced-armament.com/default.aspx?pageId=9 If you take someones advise from some website and your can lets loose in your face, it'll be a pretty nasty lesson to learn. </div></div>

Getting them on the phone is like pulling teeth, and they are a buck of jack asses when it comes to c/s

Listen, enough with the insults to the 2nd party.

AAC is not "a bunch of jack asses" when it comes to the phones. I call Mike Mers @ customer service a lot and he always answers or gets back to me that day. AAC is a busy and in demand company. If you take the time and call them, they will get back to you.

Stop what you are doing because you are about to ruin a perfectly good can. People are giving you good advise and yet you still ask the same questions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wonder what other paranoid suppressor question you will come up with next? </div></div>

Well out side of finding out if that solution is safe or not here is another one I'd like to know

Whts the proper way to refining a suppressor ? I am not sure if sandblasting the tube would take aac's engravings off or not .... I want a new muzzle cap for the tube of this can

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: black_ump</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wonder what other paranoid suppressor question you will come up with next? </div></div>

Well out side of finding out if that solution is safe or not here is another one I'd like to know

Whts the proper way to refining a suppressor ? I am not sure if sandblasting the tube would take aac's engravings off or not .... I want a new muzzle cap for the tube of this can </div></div>

Dude, remember the nickname you earned, your getting close to it being re-instituted. For the Love of God, please stop yourself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Witch Doctor</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: black_ump</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wonder what other paranoid suppressor question you will come up with next? </div></div>

Whts the proper way to refining a suppressor ? I am not sure if sandblasting the tube would take aac's engravings off or not .... I want a new muzzle cap for the tube of this can </div></div>

Dude, remember the nickname you earned, your getting close to it being re-instituted. For the Love of God, please stop yourself. </div></div>

i have no idea what your talking about...

oh i did watch about half of that suppressor video from what i seen it was pretty well informed.

i guess ill just go in at this on my own.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Listen, enough with the insults to the 2nd party.

AAC is not "a bunch of jack asses" when it comes to the phones. I call Mike Mers @ customer service a lot and he always answers or gets back to me that day. AAC is a busy and in demand company. If you take the time and call them, they will get back to you.

Stop what you are doing because you are about to ruin a perfectly good can. People are giving you good advise and yet you still ask the same questions. </div></div>

well who ever i got on the phone is just really short and cocky.... i pretty much just hung up on the dude, i dont have time for the rude b/s

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hattori Hanz&#333;</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why the obsession with cleaning this??????????????????? </div></div>

honestly i have no idea... i have an aac evo and i really dont think twice about it... but ever since i got that defender (used) just seems like i cannot stop pissing with it... cleaning this and that and up grading the springs in the latching unit, fixed the bent "key" that was inside.

now the only thing left to do is fix all the gouges in the locking "end cap" and refinish it when the paint comes in some time next week or when i can get around to it.

I thought you had sent this off to AAC for repairs?

It kinda sounds to me that you are almost making shit up as you go along to seem cool, but it is doing the exact opposite. It is making you look like a complete and utter fucking tool. I am beginning to think that you live at Seals with as big of a tool you are.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought you had sent this off to AAC for repairs?

It kinda sounds to me that you are almost making shit up as you go along to seem cool, but it is doing the exact opposite. It is making you look like a complete and utter fucking tool. I am beginning to think that you live at Seals with as big of a tool you are. </div></div>

would you like pics of my defender ?

i was going to send it out but though " well if they cannot fix it i might not get it back... when the can came into the dealers i took the back cap off seen what was wrong and simply fixed it took me all of about 15 min tops

47638_180989781928935_100000537448528_590169_7640160_n.jpg

162768_180787725282474_100000537448528_588191_8184992_n.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: black_ump</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought you had sent this off to AAC for repairs?

It kinda sounds to me that you are almost making shit up as you go along to seem cool, but it is doing the exact opposite. It is making you look like a complete and utter fucking tool. I am beginning to think that you live at Seals with as big of a tool you are. </div></div>

i was going to send it out but though " well if they cannot fix it i might not get it back... when the can came into the dealers i took the back cap off seen what was wrong and simply fixed it took me all of about 15 min tops

</div></div>

dont know much about suppressors but shooting that shitty, nasty steel cased ammo through it (if you do) probably dirties it faster than other factory ammo

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: younggun22</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: black_ump</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought you had sent this off to AAC for repairs?

i shoot reloads using tightgroup 5.1 grain

</div></div>

dont know much about suppressors but shooting that shitty, nasty steel cased ammo through it (if you do) probably dirties it faster than other factory ammo </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">5.1 grains of titegroup? That seems like an awfull lot. </div></div>

Not really all that bad, but its getting to the edge of max load with titegroup in most pistols. That load yeilds velocities of around 825fps or slightly more with 230gr FMJs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">5.1 grains of titegroup? That seems like an awfull lot. </div></div>

Not really all that bad, but its getting to the edge of max load with titegroup in most pistols. That load yeilds velocities of around 825fps or slightly more with 230gr FMJs. </div></div>

Im a dumbass, I forgot we were talking 45 and not 9mm.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How much money did you waste on a used can with baffle damange? And secondly, why did you spend your money on this? </div></div>

their is no baffle damage what so ever.... where do you keep coming up with that shit at ? its the key the key inside was bent ok the key has nothing to do what so ever with any thing other then to keep the suppressor from spinning round and round on the flange.

their is no baffle damage no strikes no any thing wrong with the suppressor. the key has been replaced, do you want me to next draw you a map of what was wrong a diagram maybe

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">5.1 grains of titegroup? That seems like an awfull lot. </div></div>

Not really all that bad, but its getting to the edge of max load with titegroup in most pistols. That load yeilds velocities of around 825fps or slightly more with 230gr FMJs. </div></div>

ord i think the charge should be around 4.8 but i have once in a while seen a 5.1 charge, the lee pro can vary slightly give or take but 5.1 is the highest i have seen.

the 230 i would like in the 850 range and i think the 185's run about hmm i wanna say 950 ish give or take. My plan is to get a chrony this summer and test them in my barrel to see exactly what i am getting

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: black_ump</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How much money did you waste on a used can with baffle damange? And secondly, why did you spend your money on this? </div></div>

their is no baffle damage what so ever.... where do you keep coming up with that shit at ? its the key the key inside was bent ok the key has nothing to do what so ever with any thing other then to keep the suppressor from spinning round and round on the flange.

their is no baffle damage no strikes no any thing wrong with the suppressor. the key has been replaced, do you want me to next draw you a map of what was wrong a diagram maybe </div></div>

I'd really like for you to take typing, grammar, and spelling lessons and stop butchering the English language. You are so hell bent on cleaning this outdated suppressor that you ignore all the advice you ask for, and when we give it to you, you argue about the method. Get off it already!

No matter if it's the "key" or a blast baffle, it looks damaged. You paid for a used suppressor. Prepare to deal with dints, dings, and usage marks. If you can't handle a used can, probably should have kept the money in your pocket and saved up for a new can, that way you could just stare at it all day instead of making posts about cleaning and repairing dents. Just sayin'

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: black_ump</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How much money did you waste on a used can with baffle damange? And secondly, why did you spend your money on this? </div></div>

their is no baffle damage no strikes no any thing wrong with the suppressor. the key has been replaced, <span style="color: #FF0000">do you want me to next draw you a map of what was wrong a diagram maybe</span> </div></div>

Actually, yes I do want a drawing or diagram. Maybe it would help us figure out what in the hell you are so obsessed about?!

But please don't use crayons, they scan poorly.
grin.gif
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: black_ump</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How much money did you waste on a used can with baffle damange? And secondly, why did you spend your money on this? </div></div>

their is no baffle damage no strikes no any thing wrong with the suppressor. the key has been replaced, <span style="color: #FF0000">do you want me to next draw you a map of what was wrong a diagram maybe</span> </div></div>

Actually, yes I do want a drawing or diagram. Maybe it would help us figure out what in the hell you are so obsessed about?!

But please don't use crayons, they scan poorly.
grin.gif
laugh.gif
</div></div>

lol....... i will dray you a map today.. ill use colored pencil

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: black_ump</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought you had sent this off to AAC for repairs?

</div></div>

May I ask how much you paid for this? More or less then the tax stamp?

buy the way for any one that is following this, david at liberty suppressors said at a 50/50 mix of mineral spirits and automatic transmission fluid is about the best you will get outside of taking the baffles out to brush or sand blast them or anodize them

so their you have it a "dip" for aluminum that is safe

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What if he is tricking you?
cry.gif
shocked.gif
</div></div>

haha well i confirmed that with gemtech so

you confirmed WHAT with Gemtech?

You asked GemTech a question about something that was said by a different suppressor manufacturer on a completely different suppressor.

yup..... i simply asked what they recommend to clean aluminum cans that dont come apart and that i was told that ms and atf 50/50 mix was a good solution and they said yup

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: black_ump</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yup..... i simply asked what they recommend to clean aluminum cans that dont come apart and that i was told that ms and atf 50/50 mix was a good solution and they said yup </div></div>

It doesn't actually DO anything, but it won't hurt anything.

The combination of the two sherlock! You will see no benefit to the obsession with cleaning. This thread should be locked due to how stupid the question is.

wait a min what kind of atf fluid are we talking about there are so many to choose from and i cant seem to find out which one to mix exactly, there is syn, reg, then you get into all the numbers as well!!lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Let this one die...... </div></div>

aac also confirms atf and mineral 50/50 to clean alum pistol suppressors with a quick blow out with compressed air.

they dont state which atf but ya

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Witch Doctor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can't seem to remember that inextricable and elusive saying my old Dad use to say. Wait its alluding me, oh I know, something about a dead horse, nope I got nothing. </div></div>

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7IU1bzZheWk"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7IU1bzZheWk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>