• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Is This Savage Nromal ?!?!?!

Alsmyles

Private
Minuteman
Jun 3, 2011
The BIG I on the HI
Aloha all.
This may sound like a stupid question.
but when it comes to guns and such, im pretty stupid . . .
Anyway i bought my first gun, a Savage 10 fcp-k in .308w
from Buds Gun shop.
1)So the first thing i notice when i bust it out and start inspecting it is that there is wear on the receiver right where the bolt slides in right in front of where the bolt handle sits on either side of the safety block. it looks like wear from use but this is a new gun. and around that there is a few sand size spots where theres no matte finish.

2)The second thing i notice is that the extractor and bolt guide are worn as well and the bolt itself is marked up.

3)i bust out the instruction booklet(first gun!)and it said that the bolt assemblies are specifically matched to a firearm. and that before installing the bolt i should match the last 4 digits of the serial number on the receiver with the same 4 by the extractor.
Well there are no digits by the extractor or anywhere on the bolt for that matter.this worries me.

Either way i put the bolt in and cycled it a few times and it felt sloppy, nothing like i imagined of a fine tuned machine.
its tight as hell someplaces and slides around so easily in others.

Now i dont know if im just being anal, but $750.00 advertised "NEW". i was expecting a real slick piece with no scratches or wear anyplace.Not one that looked like its seen some service.

What does the Hub of shooting experience think about this ?

Again sorry is this is a silly question.But i got nobody else to ask out here.

Much Mahalo's
Cody

Re: Is This Savage Nromal ?!?!?!

The wear is normal, it is probably from customers handling the gun and working the action. They wear fast at fist buts its just aesthetics. The loose/tight thing is a bit more subjective, if this is your first gun you may have been expecting it to feel different. When you run a bolt out there will be wobble in all directions to some degree. Its not a perfect fit.

When you slide a bolt in it shouldn't bind on the way.

Look for brass marks on the face of the bolt, it the gun is new and unfired it should not show any brass marks on the face. Buds has had some shaky history with customer service so its not outside the realm of possibility that the gun is not quite as described.

Last the numbers on the bolt are on the lugs at the front of the bolt, its the part that locks into the chamber. They are on the bottom of the lugs and somewhat hard to see. You will have to take the bolt out to see them.

There is wobble like you mentioned but the bolt slides in just fine.
Thanks to your advice i looked again,and upon closer inspection i found the digits. the wear on that spot made them stupidly hard to find but when i knew where to look it wasn't so bad.
and they match up.

But there are brass marks on the bolt face. i can even make out a few letters.
Could that mean it was maybe only test fired? If it was shot a lot im sure the brass marks wouldn't have been so precise.

Another thing that worries me is that if they were cycling the bolt or test firing it. this gun came bone dry. im wondering what kind of stress the gun parts are put under to perform without any lubrication anywhere.
(not that i even know where im supposed to add it yet, but i know there's supposed to be some!)

I think its safe to assume that this is a "used gun".
i feel if i paid for new i should get new.
Does anyone have experience with Bud's in this type of situation?
Will they work with me or jerk me around?

and thanks for the help on this man!
Much Mahalo's
Cody

This is your first gun? Don't panic, you didn't just buy a Mazzeratti off the showroom floor with zero miles. You bought a Savage. Contrary to what you may have been told they are the low end, think....KIA. They have to test fire the weapon. They have to test it for function. I have never seen a rifel come from the factory properly greased in the correct spots. Get some good bolt grease and put just a tiny bit on the rear of the lugs and some in the bolt raceway. I doubt you bought a used gun advertised as new from Bud's. Any new gun you get that has been on a shelf has been handled and will have some minor wear marks. Shoot the damn thing.

well in Canada when you buy a gun it is automatically registered under your name. not sure if that happens in the states, so if you are that worried you can maybe look if it was registered at all (if applicable) But i have to say if the rifle is functioning and there are no serious issues like a dent in the stock, or nicked up barrel or stuff like that, I wouldnt worry. I purchased my Savage and the guy said the only one they had was the display. Me being as impatient as I was purchased it, it showed some wear around the bolt from customers handling it. However it was never shot. But i must say I have been not nothing but blown away by its accuracy. I love it! On a side note, you will probably notice that when you lift the bolt handle to load a round, you have to overcome a (bump or sticky feel) until you fully lift up the bolt. This seems normal for all savages, I expected it to be a simple finger lift up on the bolt, not so, you have to actually grab it well to lift it. I have gotten used to it and dont think about it anymore. good luck!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armorpl8chikn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is your first gun? Don't panic, you didn't just buy a Mazzeratti off the showroom floor with zero miles. You bought a Savage. Contrary to what you may have been told they are the low end, think....KIA. They have to test fire the weapon. They have to test it for function. I have never seen a rifel come from the factory properly greased in the correct spots. Get some good bolt grease and put just a tiny bit on the rear of the lugs and some in the bolt raceway. I doubt you bought a used gun advertised as new from Bud's. Any new gun you get that has been on a shelf has been handled and will have some minor wear marks. Shoot the damn thing. </div></div>

This^^

Not sure I'd equate a Savage to a KIA though... Maybe a Chrysler... A Chrysler that actually works. Either way, it aint no "fine tuned machine".

They feel like shit when they're new. It'll start to feel better once you shoot it a good bit. Mine has ~4000 or so through it, and it actually feels pretty good now - especially since doing the $0.14 bolt lift kit modification.

The wear marks your seeing on the bolt: The finish at the main contact points shows wear in a hurry! As in 5 or 10 bolt cycles and it'll be visible. Don't sweat it dude, your'e fine.

Lastly: You'll have to work HARD to keep your rifle from rusting - especially living somewhere surrounded by saltwater, where temperature is 85º and 85% humidity - all the time!

At least I get a break from chasing the rust during fall/winter here in MI.

armorpl8chkn-
Yea i think i was Panicking a bit, but after reading everyone's reply iv calmed down haha.Hearing that some wear is normal brings me back to earth. Since it was my first one every scratch got x10 on it.But il take that advice, "grease it up and shoot the damn thing"

The Hun-
Thanks for that bit about the bolt, i was expecting it to be an easy lift to, so when i had to work at it i thought i put it in wrong or missed a part haha!

Turbo54-
Good to hear it will smooth out once i start using it, but what is the $0.14 bolt lift kit modification?
Yea this island is a blessing and a curse. Its beautiful. but shipping stuff sucks and everything rusts haha.
Any tricks to keeping this gun from turning to dust in my hands?

Thanks for clearing all this stuff up guys, like i said i was overreacting a bit.
Iv heard bits about breaking a gun in? something like shooting 5 shots and cleaning the gun after each one. then doing 25 and cleaning every 5, then up to 50 cleaning every 10.
What does this do?

Anyway thanks again for all the advice so far guys!il stop treating it like its goin in a glass case and more like the work horse i bought it for.

Savages are rough guns, that's why you don't pay a premium price.
Sure, 750 bucks isn't cheap money but checkout what you may have to pay just to get something a little prettier.

When I worked in a shop years ago we got Savages, as well as others, that looked like they had never been touched by human hands and others that looked well used. The used ones weren't scratched up or anything, just dirty and maybe worn spots from cycling bolts...we'd just clean them up, thought sometimes they needed test firing to be positive there was nothing wrong.

When you go buy a car that was taken on a test drive the day before, does that make it used? Of course not. Take the gun out and shoot it...have a great time and smile.

the only thing I'd advise is breaking in the barrel. you don't have to go hog wild doing this just a couple rounds and clean for 10 rounds or so should be fine. Remember this is just a factory barrel not a lapped match barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alsmyles</div><div class="ubbcode-body">armorpl8chkn-
Yea i think i was Panicking a bit, but after reading everyone's reply iv calmed down haha.Hearing that some wear is normal brings me back to earth. Since it was my first one every scratch got x10 on it.But il take that advice, "grease it up and shoot the damn thing"

The Hun-
Thanks for that bit about the bolt, i was expecting it to be an easy lift to, so when i had to work at it i thought i put it in wrong or missed a part haha!

Turbo54-
Good to hear it will smooth out once i start using it, but what is the $0.14 bolt lift kit modification?
Yea this island is a blessing and a curse. Its beautiful. but shipping stuff sucks and everything rusts haha.
Any tricks to keeping this gun from turning to dust in my hands?

Thanks for clearing all this stuff up guys, like i said i was overreacting a bit.
Iv heard bits about breaking a gun in? something like shooting 5 shots and cleaning the gun after each one. then doing 25 and cleaning every 5, then up to 50 cleaning every 10.
What does this do?

Anyway thanks again for all the advice so far guys!il stop treating it like its goin in a glass case and more like the work horse i bought it for.
</div></div>

Do a google snipershide search for savage bolt modification. The mod involves a 38spl case, a 5/32 ball bearing and some polishing.

To "break in" you're rifle. You can either shoot it as much as you care to, then clean it at home then repeat. Or, get yourself some KG12 copper remover. Shoot a couple rounds and use the copper remover. If the patch shows little color (indication of copper), go about your business. If it shows lots of color, you may want to fire a few more and clean again. Continue this process until several shots shows little color, or, youre sick of doing it.

My Savage picked up copper quite a bit until I had several hundred rounds through. Don't sweat it too much, really not a big deal.

When my rifle showed it was gonna rust easy, I degreased the whole thing and spray painted it with "zero rust", which Ive found to do a nice job. It does NOT look sweet. You could send it off for fancy paint/duracoat/cerakote/ion bond/etc etc etc. I can't imagine a non-stainless savage in Hawaii!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do a google snipershide search for savage bolt modification. The mod involves a 38spl case, a 5/32 ball bearing and some polishing.

</div></div>
I swear I get a chuckle every time you guys mention this.Why?
I see Chevy Chase in "Fletch" telling the airplane mechanic he will be back in a minute "got to go get some 30weight ball bearings and some WD-40."
laugh.gif

Rig grease is one of the best rust preventives on the market. Try Sinclairs or Brownell's for that.
Break in? Some shoot the hell out of it and some have a strict regimen. I fall somewhere in between cause I have cleaned enough to know whats clean, whats smooth and what all the cleaning in the world will never help. Just make sure you use a good one piece rod, good jags, patches and brushes. With KG-12 the brush is for the carbon mostly. DO NOT use KG-12 with a bronze brush, it won't last a farting spell. If you use nylon make sure you rinse your brush if you use it with KG-12. Never use aluminum rods or implements in any barrel.
I use Marvel Mystery oil or Ed's Red with a bronze brush for carbon. If you want to know about Ed's Red just google it.

Thanks for all the replies guys!
yea seanh, what your sayin makes perfect sense now. i was in a bit of a frenzy before.
It was the Same when i bought my speargun. "WTF SCRATCHES!!!!!!"
I think i just get pissy when my first scratch privileged is denied me, but i get over it quick.
But il take Voyagertwelve's advice and go shoot it and have fun!
Well i live at a high elevation and don't plan on shooting at the beach so it shouldn't be to bad(did yours rust real easy turbo54).
The rig grease idea might be perfect.buy some of that and pretty much dip the gun in it? or just the moving parts and such ?. but if that doesnt work how much is a fancy coating? i hear cerakote talked about alot. il have to research it later.
Breaking in the gun doesn't sound to hard
buy kg-12
shoot gun have fun!
check for color (if dark clean and repeat til light)
if its light shoot gun have fun!

I still gotta find a walk-through for how to clean this gun, and learn the different tools/supplies out there and buy the ones i need.
Any full kits worth recommending?
I googled ed's red and it sounds like the way to go since i can concoct it myself, and a lot of people back it up. So its definitely worth a try.

Thanks again for all the helpful info guys. iv learned much a lot of useful info real fast since i started this thread as compared to when i was lurking around the forum looking for the 1/10 post with what i was looking for.

Much Mahalo's
Cody

Let us know how it shoots. I love my savage, but I did not feel the same looseness in mine, although mine never saw a showroom floor or anything. Just curious on how it turns out for you.

Yea after work tomorrow ima go hunt down for k-12, and hopefully my scope is waiting for me when i get home.
Was planning to(if the scope arrives on time) head to the gun shop on Saturday, but il have to call em tomorrow to see if their open or not.
Were hosting the Ironman Triathlon this Saturday so a lot of road closures and such.
But im hoping to at least get it put together this weekend if not shoot it some!