Firearms ISO .510 Whisper, 12.7X48 build

ST42

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2007
WA
All,
I have been severely bitten by sub-sonic shooting bug. I love my .338 Spectre that LRI built up for me, and I now what to take the next giant step in stealth. LMK what you may have to move.

Thanks,
ST42

I have an extra .510 whisper barrel built by short action customs for a desert tech if you'd be interested.

Pretty sweet bolt action repeater with off the shelf mags and parts available. Probably my favorite way to do it I've found. There are a few other guys running them on here too.

A friend uses 50 AE cases to shoot 50 BMG pills at subsonic velocities. He said he wanted more range in a standard gun.

After digging around through reamer prints it looked like the 50 Alaskan might work. For the cases I uses 300 RUM cut off at the length as the 50 Alaskan. With a 50 BMG bullet it will feed from a standard long action. Using cast bullets, I found some 950g, it will feed from a short action.

It was a go until the other guy decided that the recoil would be way too much. The screw in the bottom of the case is to push the bullet out. During seating if I would have went too deep I had no way of getting it back out without destroying something

D6B4ACBF-6352-4288-99AF-98334F13F969.pngD0B899FD-345C-49D6-87C9-C4F96C347BF3.png

Last edited:
I have an extra .510 whisper barrel built by short action customs for a desert tech if you'd be interested.

Pretty sweet bolt action repeater with off the shelf mags and parts available. Probably my favorite way to do it I've found. There are a few other guys running them on here too.
Is that barrel still available?

I do have one left, same specs, maybe 1000 rounds of cast bullet on it now. Not super motivated to sell, but if someone was after the whole kit id be open to trading for/towards nv or thermal or possibly optics.

Nothing in those categories at that value level I don't want to keep. Didn't see much in terms of specs (I had thought you were just looking to get rid of an unfired barrel). I assume this is an SRS.

What is a good minimum barrel length for this cartridge with heavy subs, anyway? (My copy of Quickload is still in the mail) Can a Covert barrel length be sufficient?

@boonk. I’m running a 7.5 twist in mine that I had built. I’m at 16.5” and it stabilizes 910’s with no problem at all.

You can get a barrel here,

Mine is built off of a Surgeon 1086, that Robert Gradous opened up the bolt face on. I had it built into a switch barrel. .510W and .338LM.

OqtnIIj.jpg

Reactions: boonk
@boonk. I’m running a 7.5 twist in mine that I had built. I’m at 16.5” and it stabilizes 910’s with no problem at all.

You can get a barrel here,

Mine is built off of a Surgeon 1086, that Robert Gradous opened up the bolt face on. I had it built into a switch barrel. .510W and .338LM.

OqtnIIj.jpg
Ooooo so many grains. Must be super healthy! I forgot to ask about twist, thanks!

How long is said 910gr projectile?

Are there people who will make a 500 phantom ar barrel? Is max COAL on that even sufficient to accommodate something like an A-max? I imagine these whisper variants can accommodate nice long pills..

16 to 20 inches would be my pref. Longer is quieter, simple as that. Not really any speed to be gained in most cases. A 7 or 8 twist should cover most bases. Ive run lots of pulled gi stuff, amaxes, various cast. Some of the lehigh stuff could be interesting, but never took the plunge there.

My cast one comes out to about 1000g or just under. Length is similer to amax if I remember right, maybe a little less.

Definitely a fun cartridge to mess with and the desert tech isa great platform to do it.

I have long-standing delusions about manufacturing my own copper/brass/other projectiles. The bigger they are, the more room to do weird things with the design. And the idea of lobbing big a$$ bullets quietly at into-the-next-county ranges sounds ridiculously fun.

But my 300 AACs are plenty of fun too.

What do you think it costs to make a gel block the size of a refrigerator?