• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Japanese arisaka parts

lemonsone

Private
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2012
Bham/Mobile, AL
My grandfather brought it back from the war with him, and it's now been passed down to me. I think it's an awesome rifle theres just something about holding a piece of history in your hands. Anyway it's chambered 6.5x50 and I am wondering if anybody knows of anywhere that i could buy parts for it such as a scope mount (preferably 1913 base as all my rings are already 1913). It's only got the standard iron sights on it now, and i would like to do some longer range shooting with it (just for fun). The problem is when you work the bolt the handle goes from flat 0 degrees to straight up 90 degrees; which with any picture i have in my mind of a normally mounted scope the handle would smack the eyepiece housing and keep you from cycling the bolt unless you had some sort of super super high mount, and of course nobody wants that.

Thanks, Andrew

oh and any options that would require permanent alteration to the rifle won't work i want to be able to return it to it's original condition at anytime

Re: Japanese arisaka parts

I'm not aware of a mount that would allow for a long relief scope that would mount to the rear sight base for an Arisaka, but it would not surprise me if there's one out there. I have to ask, though, "have you shot it with the irons?". If not, give it a try. You'll probably be pleasantly surprised at what it can do. More people should try shooting long range with the irons on these old guns. They're far more capable than you think.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Raul John</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Japanese arisaka parts attach all perspectives so we will be confident and get a constructive role in all perspectives so be happy and get broad image any stage.</div></div>

well said...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DirtyDave</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Raul John</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Japanese arisaka parts attach all perspectives so we will be confident and get a constructive role in all perspectives so be happy and get broad image any stage.</div></div>

well said... </div></div>

That's just plain funny right there I dont care who you are.

To the OP, gonna take custom work (I think) to mount optics to the Jap and you'll sure have to "bend" the bolt handle. IMO, I wouldn't do it. Of mine, my 7.7 shoots the best. Bustin water bottles at 100 is pretty easty. Dad shiped it back from Okinawa in 44, still has blood stains on the stock.

okie

You can get a scope rail which replaces the rear leaf sight for most WWII guns, should be able to find one for it. You are stuck with using long eye relief pistol scopes though as it is mounted in front of the bolt.

Really think hard before you modify it if it is in original condition, especially if the imperial markings have not been ground off. If you modify it the collector value (which has been going up on these) will drop to almost nothing, and as well as the historical value. I'd just appreciate what the old warriors had to work with and carefully enjoy shooting it as is.

If you know what model it is (Type 99? etc...) I may have one sitting in my safe (I have four different model Arisakas). If I have one that's the same style model, I may be able to design something that would work and machine it for you (I'd probably just do something with a flat top and use a production picatinny rail attached to the top of it). Just let me know if you'd like me to look into it.

--Wintermute

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DirtyDave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All your base are belong to us....
</div></div>
...very nice...

DON'T MOLEST that rifle....... I have scoped two actions... they were seriously bubbaed. It's a drill and tap, cut and weld the bolt handle. The bolt handle is too short to properly bend and get any sort of good service out of.

so, looking at one of my Arisakas, I believe it'd be doable to machine something that would connect to the sides of the rear site block (the sides of the block are radiused in which would make for a good rigid clamping surface. If you removed the rear site, mounted to the block it attaches to and made the mount a flat top that extended back to over the ejection port but not all the way back to the bolt handle, I think it would work without any modification to the rifle itself. You could then connect a straight picatinny to the top of that mount in order to connect your rings to.

That's the way I'd do it anyways. I'd have to get out the radius gauges to figure out exactly what the radius on the side of the block is and then get the correct bit to cut it. Due to the overhang of the mount back over the action, it'd probably have to be made out of steel and be pretty hefty in order to maintain rigidity under recoil.

--Wintermute

Depends on condition, model, and whether or not it had the chrysanthemum still on it. Basically, like any old rifle, there are desireable ones and ones that are basically junk. I have one with the chrysanthemum still on it and three without. None of them are in the most amazing condition though.

--Wintermute

Probably a Type 38, chambered in 6.5x50. The chrysanthemum was a mark on the top of the receiver which was the symbol of the emperor of Japan. At the end of the war, most rifles had the chrysanthemum symbol ground off or defaced in some way. Those that still have the chrysanthemum mark have a higher value. The most common Arisakas are the type 38 and the type 99. I have types 38, 44, 97, and 99. Only the Type 99 that I have has the chrysanthemum mark on it still. With a two piece buttstock, it sounds like the one you were handling was not only common, but also has been bubba'd at some point which means the price of $100 may actually be a bit more than it's worth.

--Wintermute

Depends. If it has good rifling (big if since the ammunition was corrosive and the environments those rifles were used in weren't nice to them either) and you want to buy it as a shooter, then $100 is probably a fair price. If the rifling is pitted to hell then it's probably not worth buying period. To give you an idea of what you're dealing with, an Arisaka Type 38 in kinda rough condition but not bubba'd and with the chrysanthemum on it will sell for about $200 at the top end. That's with serviceable rifling and still in shooting condition.

--Wintermute

First of all, it's really impossible to give any types of values without seeing/knowing exactly what it is, first. In my opinion, however, any Airsaka that's still in it's original configuration (not Bubba'd), is worth at least $150. It used to be that you could hardly give them away. That has changed in the last couple years and in a big way. All matching examples with mum intact and a good bore will easily sell for $350 and more. A lot more, depending on the arsenal/time in which they were built.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: "Wintermute"</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With a two piece buttstock, it sounds like the one you were handling was not only common, but also has been bubba'd at some point...</div></div>
I'm curious what exactly you mean by this. Most Arisakas were made with a two piece buttstock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First of all, it's really impossible to give any types of values without seeing/knowing exactly what it is, first. In my opinion, however, any Airsaka that's still in it's original configuration (not Bubba'd), is worth at least $150. It used to be that you could hardly give them away. That has changed in the last couple years and in a big way. All matching examples with mum intact and a good bore will easily sell for $350 and more. A lot more, depending on the arsenal/time in which they were built.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: "Wintermute"</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With a two piece buttstock, it sounds like the one you were handling was not only common, but also has been bubba'd at some point...</div></div>
I'm curious what exactly you mean by this. Most Arisakas were made with a two piece buttstock.
</div></div>

By two piece you mean the lower stock and the upper guard wrapping around the top of the barrel then yes. I was taking his statement to mean something different than that.

Almost no weapon can be valued specifically without in depth detail of the weapon. That's a given. I was giving him generalities, and generally, a Type 38 without the Mum just isn't an investment (heck, with the Mum it's not really a good investment). Now, is it possible that the rifle in there is serial #1 and therefore actually worth a good deal of money to someone who really wants it? sure it is...but I'm giving advise as to the general cost of Arisakas.

All of this really doesn't matter though if someone wants to buy and shoot the rifle. I shoot every gun I own...I don't buy because I think something is rare or collectible, I buy 'em to shoot 'em. If I bought an Arisaka and it didn't shoot well, then I'd get rid of it...

--Wintermute

check out the picture on wikipedia (good representations of each Type of Arisaka rifle): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Arisaka_rifle_family.jpg

Does it match up to the second one down? or is it modified from that? That'll tell you if you are looking at a Type 38 with a modified stock or an original unmodified stock.

--Wintermute

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: a-hull</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The two piece butt stock goes from the lower part of the grip around the bottom to the butt plate. </div></div>
That's how they were made.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wintermute</div><div class="ubbcode-body">check out the picture on wikipedia (good representations of each Type of Arisaka rifle): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Arisaka_rifle_family.jpg

Does it match up to the second one down? or is it modified from that? That'll tell you if you are looking at a Type 38 with a modified stock or an original unmodified stock.

--Wintermute </div></div>

It really isnt all that important to me, I was only interested in the redfield peep sight. so it sounds like it isnt worth it. It has more than likely been modified for the sight, so it isnt worht buying just for the peep.

Picked up three outside the gunshow yesterday. Need a firing pin spring for a Type 38 and a follower and spring for a Type 99. Picked up a Para with the others and it appears new, internally, with damp closet grunge on the outside. Any help on parts appreciated. Not an attempt to hijack, just seemed the most apropriate place. AG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: asbestosglove</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Picked up three outside the gunshow yesterday. Need a firing pin spring for a Type 38 and a follower and spring for a Type 99. Picked up a Para with the others and it appears new, internally, with damp closet grunge on the outside. Any help on parts appreciated. Not an attempt to hijack, just seemed the most apropriate place. AG </div></div>

Look on eBay. Believe it or not there is a ton of parts on there for those.