jarbaby

As a first lime poster I am interested in learning anything that will help my long range shooting.
I am a long time shooter of anything that went bang, pistol shotgun rifle. I competed with all of them with minimal success. Found benchrest at 1-2-300 yds a challenge as the reloading was a significant component. Then about 20 years ago I went Prairie Dog shooting. The range increased and the rifles as well. At about 12 years into the 20 I was trying for my VHA 1500 yard dog after many rounds down range I connected at 1630 yds. Maybe I should say the dog and bullet were at the same place at the same time.
I read with intrest the comment on "free recoil" driving the gun, and holding off. While I practiced these "controls" shooting benchrest, PDing may have you shooting with a full wind at 425 yards to the next dog at 550 yds with a 1/2-1/3 wind factor, your guess. If your spotter says elevation good two dogs downwind you hold off and shoot before te dog goes down.
I believe you said a series of compromises was sometimes required. I guess my question is: when and how many?
Seeking wisdom,
jarbaby

Guns or parachutes need one, better have it!