• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Gunsmithing JB Weld ok bedding for a Rimfire?

JelloStorm

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2010
Northeast Pennsylvania
Hey guys,

I had a HORRIBLE experience with Acraglass when I tried to bed my Savage 17HMR to a Boyds rimfire hunter stock a few months back. I was able to use a Dremel and sandpaper to get most of the bedding off the stock and am ready for a re-bed now but I do not have any Devcon and I dont think any is available locally.

Would JB Weld work just as well for a rifle with basically no recoil?

I've used jb weld, just let it setup a little so it isn't so runny and you should be good to go.

+1 above - I have bedded all my bolt rifles with Jb weld on the recommendation of a fellow that knows a lot more about rifles than I do. Put lithium grease on the action and all parts you don't want to get stuck and let it set up some before you go ahead.

JB Weld is good stuff. It flows out so you need to dam up any areas it can run into. JB is not exactly inexpensive but available everywhere so I see the attraction.
The better way to go is just order some Devcon epoxy and the old reliable Kiwi neutral / clear shoe polish for release agent. It stays where you put it (does not run) and is pretty well proven for bedding material.
Plumbers putty works good for blocking off areas you do not want bedding material.

+1 for Devcon. Always keep some on hand I find many other uses for it. JB is good too but after being spoiled with Devcon I wouldn't want to use JB just because how nice Devon is to work with. Plus I find it harder to mix JB weld equally than Devcon because I weigh the Devcon on a digital so I know its right. I'm sure JB has a weight ratio too but I've never bothered to find it because I only get it in the tubes.

Hell, I did a FAST bedding on a Marlin RF, that was binding the bolt when the stock screws were tightened. Used copper filled epoxy putty stick from the local hardware that was meant for plumbing repairs. 10 min setup, work fast, Kiwi for release agent. Don't think I would trust the crap for a plumbing repair, but the color matches walnut perfectly!

Hey Chad! I actually used that Kiwi neutral shoe polish and man that shit works like a boss.

I just pulled the receiver and the JB Weld came out FANTASTIC! Much cheaper, better and easier to work with than that Acraglass crap. Thanks for all the help guys!

Used JB Weld Kwik Weld and worked great on my 77/22, used Playdo along with Kiwi Neutral Shoe polish as release agent and to block areas. At first I was really intimidated by bedding, but I'm confident I could do it again. Just have to pay attention to detail and not forget what you're doing.

Yeah I bedded my cz455 to a Boyd's stock with jbweld. It worked really well. Just make sure to cover all your steps. I Drilled tiny little wholes in the stock where ever bedding will be to create a good mechanical adhesion to the stock channel. It tightened the groups of the rifle up really well because I was able to get the barrel up off the stock. Turned out well!