Training Courses Jeff Cooper General Rifle at Whittington Center May 9-14

cliffy110

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Oct 6, 2020
This isn't a precision rifle class but it is one hell of an incredible experience with a rifle. Tom Russell is one of only 6 people to ever earn the title "Master Instructor" from Jeff Cooper when he was alive. Tom teaches nearly the exact scout rifle class that Cooper did back in the day. This is held at the Jeff Cooper Scout rifle Range at the Whittington Center in Raton New Mexico.

What is a scout rifle class? It teaches the fundamentals of a rifle in the context of practical use from arm's length out to 300 yards. This isn't the same as a long range rifle class and the terminology is similar, but different. You'll learn shooting positions without a tripod or artificial rests. Sitting, kneeling, squat and prone will only use a shooting sling as a stability aid. You'll learn the snap shot with a bolt gun at bad breath distances. You'll learn carry methods to keep the rifle ready for instant use. You'll learn to fight with a hunting rifle. You'll learn a lot of stuff that a person might use when there isn't time to set up a tripod or the space to allow for deployment of a spotting scope. You'll learn mindset from the Cooper perspective. If nothing else, your weapons handling will be on a different level.

I'm going to post a number of reviews, videos and suggestions I have for this class, but I'll start with covering the rifle. A 16 pound long range gun will be a big handicap for this class. If that's all you've got, this might not be the class for you. However, you don't need a dedicated scout rifle either. Any bolt action rifle with an LPVO will be fine. You really need a low end magnification of 2X or less. A 1.5-4X, a 2-7X or any 1-6X will be fine.

You'll need a true sling of some sort and most people use a simple Rhodesian model. It needs a loop. A carry strap that lacks a loop will frustrate you.

Unless Tom modified the class, you'll want 600 rounds of ammo. No steel core. Any caliber is fine. Most chose a .308 or .223 due to costs. You can even bring a .22 for the snap shots at 25 and 50 yards to save money.

I've taken this class twice and I HIGHLY recommend it. Try something different this year. Get out of your comfort zone and see what else you can do with a rifle.

Attachments

• Cooper class.jpg
    Cooper class.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 84
Reactions: diverdon