Night Vision JRH PVS14 Sale Convinced Me To Finally Try

Happiness Is A Warm Gun

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2019
NC
For anyone interested in picking up a relatively cheap pvs14 from a reputable dealer, I thought I would pass along the deal JRH has.

I realize this pales in comparison to a lot of the NV stuff I see posted online, but for someone who has zero experience with NV and who wants something decent without investing a lot up front, I think this is a good option. I have been wanting to pick up a pvs14 for years, but a new rifle or a new scope always seemed to take priority. With this new deal emailed to me yesterday, it finally pushed me over the edge to try it out. As a bonus, it was literally shipped within an hour of ordering!

I will update after it arrives. Anyone have any advice in the mean time?

Last edited:
I think you will be very happy with that unit. Expecially at that price point.

I have a lot of PVS 14's of all different flavors as far as specs go (both white and green) so my sample base for comparision is pretty large. The unit you will be getting will do much better in higher ambient lighting than the traditional L3 or Elbit Gen 3 units out there today. It will give a clearer image. In really dark environments it will not do quite as well as those typically, but here is the caveat.

In really dark environments when you can see which units perfrom better in really dark environments, the image is still only slightly better but not enough to make PID (positive identification) such as you have to kick on an illuminator to make any of them practically usefull for PID. So under strong IR illumination the unit you are getting will perform better with a clearer image than the traditional L3 or Elbit Gen 3 units which will gate down to much lower LP (line pairs) than the Photos unit will.

So the practical effect is, in some ways you are getting a really great better performing unit (in higher ambient lighting conditions) for a very cheap price in todays environment. Spec sheets are more a "internet bragging rights" issue than real world performance. And you pay an astronomical additional price for just a little bit better performance in really dark environments.

As far as green vs white. Green performs better in some situations and white performs better in some situation. I personally will use either and it really makes no great difference to me.

One of my biggest things with any NV device is how many spots or blems it has. I like pretty clean screens which is more important to me than the specs in some ways. I will take some blems/spots in Zone 3 but the center Zone 1 and Zone 2 needs to be reasonably clean for me.

Hope this is of benifit to you.

Last edited:
Appreciate your business, shipped same business day order received.

We are just about out of this special run of Green Phosphor Echo spec units after running this giveaway sale at $2499. for Labor Day. Think we are down to about six at the time of this posting...

@WhereNow&How thanks for such a detailed post. That is exactly the sort of feedback I was hoping to see! Any other advice? It arrived today, but I haven't had a chance to open it up because I plan on watching some videos first so I don't do anything stupid!

@Lowdown3 thanks so much for shipping it out so quickly. It arrived two days after ordering, and I did not order until 1:30pm or so on Monday! I read through your email full of tips, and plan on watching some videos and reading up on it tomorrow before playing around with it. I will definitely be ordering from you in the future!

Reactions: WhereNow&How
Glad to hear it and thanks again.

The #1 thing I would say is get in the habit of removing the battery every single time your done with it. That helps avoid a "multitude of sins" as they say LOL.

Cover the lenses when your done and with the battery out, not a lot of dumb stuff can happen. Everything else is covered in that quick user guide.

A good starting exercise with NODs is to get out in the back yard at night and just practicing walking up close to objects like a tree branch, fence post, etc. Learn to judge the distance this way. You can start with one hand extended finger tips out and walk up to where your finger tips touch the object. Then do it again without your hand out and try to judge the same distance, raise your hand to check. Doing that a bunch usually helps people that have depth perception issues.

Let us know how it goes and if you need any help it's just a phone call or email away. Thanks again!
[email protected]

Reactions: WhereNow&How