• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Just bought DPMS Panther LR 308 AR15--now what?

silverphoenix

Private
Minuteman
Nov 4, 2008
Texas,USA
www.facebook.com
I just bought a nice DPMS LR 308 with the 24" stainless fluted barrel. I have several questions about setting it up since I'm more familiar with short range rifles, shotguns and pistols.

1. I want a nice muzzle brake, but I'm not for sure if it will de-value the gun to have a gunsmith to thread the barrel--should I send it to DPMS to be threaded? How??? How much? The suppressor I want is around $100--a pretty penny...

2. What scope do I get? I've always used Iron sights and so I know squat about scopes--I want something under $350 that will look nice, be reliable, and work like a charm at at least 300 if not 500 yards.

3. What bipod do I get? I want something $60 or under--I was looking at the harris bipods, but I'm not for sure if those are the best or not. What length would be best? I was wanting something that was maybe under "12 but extends to about 20" or so--also I want to be able to easily attach a sling to it once the bipod is installed and I don't want to do any gunsmithing.

4. I picked up some federal power-shock 180 grain rounds--is this the optimal cartridge to use if I don't want to spend over $1 a shell and want to only buy domestic?

5. Anything else I should worry about?

Thanks

Re: Just bought DPMS Panther LR 308 AR15--now what?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: silverphoenix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
2. What scope do I get? I've always used Iron sights and so I know squat about scopes-- I want something under $350 that will look nice, be reliable, and work like a charm at at least 300 if not 500 yards.
</div></div>

Eat lots of Ramen....and try tripling that amount for a REAL scope.

BTW...Welcome to the Hide.

308Panther

Well I got the 308 for $1200 with tax and all and I Know that a good scope costs as much as the gun, but I'm on a budget here and I can't afford anything over $350--$400 Max right now after buying the gun.

trust me cry once, but you'll never regret it!

DSC00967.jpg

DSC01067.jpg

If you really dont want to donate a kidney to get some high end optics, check out the Nikon Monarch 2.5-10x42 will suffice for what you want to do. Its bright its clear an not to outrageous on the price. Can find'm used in the FS section on occasion or on other forums.
You didnt mention it and I dont know what it came with but you might want to upgrade your trigger even to something simple like the RRA 2stage match trigger. VAST improvement over the junk they send in it....didnt think it would be till i put it in mine.
Suppressor I'm guessing your meaning to be synomous with the break most have to do with opinion, although if your going to be shooting prone you might want to get something thats NOT open on the bottom. Otherwise you'll be kicking stuff up everytime you shoot. If its not threaded when you get it most competent smith's should be able to thread it to your request. Ask around your area and someone should be able to point in the direction of a good one or there's plenty that are around here if you want to ship it, you dont have to send it to DPMS. Heres an idea: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=120&t=598210

Re: Just bought DPMS Panther LR 308 AR15--now what

SWFA Super Sniper,Falcon optics,Bushnell 3200 series.Triggers are a major improvement.

Try different brands of ammo and shoot them as steady as possible to check for reliability and accuracy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: silverphoenix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just bought a nice DPMS LR 308 with the 24" stainless fluted barrel. I have several questions about setting it up since I'm more familiar with short range rifles, shotguns and pistols.
</div></div>
Congrats, nice choice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: silverphoenix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
2. What scope do I get? I've always used Iron sights and so I know squat about scopes--I want something under $350 that will look nice, be reliable, and work like a charm at at least 300 if not 500 yards.</div></div>
Buy a Super Sniper, a Falcon or a Millet TRS-1 (or TRS-2), and invest in ammo (or reloading equipment) <span style="font-weight: bold">to actually use</span> the rifle you just bought.
Yes, because if you plan to enjoy the rifle in shooting, instead of taking pictures of it in the living room, nothing is better than ammo.
And at the end of the journey, your skills will be a lot better than if you'd staid home looking at your rifle, and saving for money for an higher budget scope.
If you are a professional, whose equipment reliability his own and other people lives depends on, than it's all different ball game.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lazy21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">trust me cry once, but you'll never regret it!
</div></div>

Lazy,
It dont matter what pics you put up,what topics you choose to start,what answers you provide.

There isnt a person on The Hide that will trust you.

You have revealed yourself for the Troll that you are.

308Panther

its funny how all you need is one person to say something stupid and then you have all the followers, but back to you topic member said something about a Nikon which is a really nice scope but the only thing I don't like about it is the mildot reticule is to thick. Don't skimp out on the scope, save money and buy you something nice...................

I appreciate the info--I've decided not to cheap out on the scope--I called my cousin who's a huge hunter--he said he has a few old leopold and bushnell scopes that cost him about a grand about 10 or 20 years ago that I can have my pick from--I'm visiting him in a couple weeks and he's going to set me up with a nice one.

I'm looking into getting my barrel threaded at a local gunshop---I've picked out a couple muzzel brakes I like--what are y'alls opinions on these? I can't decide which one to get.

http://primaryweapons.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=5&idproduct=37

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...channel=s&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&sa=N

trying to find this muzzle break in a 308

And I want a bipod that swivels at 45 degrees--any suggestions?

Thanks
SilverPhoenix

I got it from a dealer--it was the last one in Texas--I called 24 different gun stores until I finally found it, then drove 4 hrs round trip to go get it right after I got off the phone. Everyone is sold out and has a waiting list, DPMS won't have any more out for a month and there's 40,000 on order---I have no clue how I got so lucky to find this one, but if you're going to get one of these, I suggest spending a day doing nothing but calling every gun store in your state to find one and hoping you get lucky--they're super hard to come by right now!

Silver,

Why do you want a muzzle brake? Recoil reduction? Increasing deafness to the poor bastards on either side of your shooting pos.?

Recoil is not so bad on a .308 bolt gun let alone a gas operated AR type. As in about 1/3 the recoil of an 8 pound bolt gun on avg.

Money saved foregoing a brake is money you can put into your glass! And Burris and Leupold make some great glass for under $400.00 that can get you shooting accurately until you save to buy something way better. Then you can move the less expensive glass to your hunting rifle or sell em for the excellent value they hold!

Enjoy your new rifle.

I want the muzzle brake for recoil reduction mainly--not so much because I'm afraid of recoil, as I usually shoot a 3006, but because I don't want excessive recoil to knock off my zero or to rattle my optics. Someone told me that it extends the barrel length and increases accuracy too, which I think is bull, but it's worth a try though. I couldn't care less about people shooting next to me because I'll be shooting at my own place most of the time and if someone wants to shoot next to me at the range, then it's their own fault for not investing in some $0.50 ear plugs or $15 hearing protection lol

I'll check out burris and leupold scopes after I check out what my cousin has for me--hopefully he'll have something I can use and I can save that $$$ for other upgrades like a magpul adjustable stock.

Thanks for the comment, it is a beautiful rifle and Much better than my 3006 ATR 100 from mossberg haha

Then why would anyone get a muzzle brake? They're not just for looks and I would hope no one would get one just because they're afraid of recoil.

And besides the scope components, which I Do need to be concerned about if I get a cheaper scope, it makes it easier to stay on target for multiple, consecutive shots because of the stabilization, does it not?

Trade the muzzle brake for a trigger. The recoil is managable, and almost negligible in semi-auto, but a good trigger is the difference between a hit and a miss. Buy lots of ammo (GMM or start reloading) and start shooting. As time passes you can get better glass, and get better at reloading, but a rifle without bullets and a shooter is just an expensive paper weight.

Congrats on the new purchase!

Mikulick (spelling?) break ($60) is good and will match barrel contour.
RockRiver two stage trigger (about $100),,, trigger upgrade is a must.

try 175gr match ammo

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: silverphoenix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Then why would anyone get a muzzle brake? They're not just for looks and I would hope no one would get one just because they're afraid of recoil.

And besides the scope components, which I Do need to be concerned about if I get a cheaper scope, it makes it easier to stay on target for multiple, consecutive shots because of the stabilization, does it not?</div></div>

You have a perception that a muzzle brake will help you get the job done. It appears, you think it will help appoint a limit and consistency to recoil; however, should you learn how to build a steady position, you'll recognize recoil can be easily controlled, without the specious aid of a muzzle brake.

I aggree about the trigger. The trigger that came with my LR308 was pretty bad. I replaced it with a Geissele. That trigger is worlds better. The recoil from the LR308 is nothing to worry about.

I've an RRA NM2 on mine, but if you have to ask how is installed, maybe it's better another choice for you. The RRA NM2 is not a drop in (at least it wasn't in my rifle, and many other LR308 I heard of).
Otherwise it's a very good trigger, at an affordable price. If you got more cash, the Geissele is even better (at more than double the price though).

I dunno. I'm not into bump firing, especially with a precision 24" BBL scoped rifle like the LR308.

Bump firing Huh?

He'll need that capability when the president calls him direct for the solo job only HE can do to get Zawarhiri in mountains of Waziristan.

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS tick,tick,tick,tick. 24

"Bump firing Huh?

He'll need that capability when the president calls him direct for the solo job only HE can do to get Zawarhiri in mountains of Waziristan.

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS tick,tick,tick,tick. 24"

Confused!

I was just curious about bump-firing my 308 just for fun without the optics. I've done it with my AK before and made a group of bottles fly lol Of course precision rifles are meant to be used as "one shot at a time" guns, but that doesn't mean you can't shoot rapid fire just for the hell of it once.

Do what you like friend.

Rounds downrange should be aimed IMHO, and go no further than the intended target. But I live in an urban area and my opinion is skewed by the stray rounds that hit buildings or people; fired by idiots with no grasp of, or concern for, the ballistic potential of the device they hold.

Bump firing, as I have seen it done, is second in stupidity to the celebratory gunfire the rabble armies and militias of the third world do.

Wonder what happens to those rounds?

If you can only afford $350 for a scope, you spent too much on the rifle. Throw some iron sights on it if it doesn't already have them, and save money until you can afford AT LEAST a Leupold Mark 4.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, I've just been in your shoes and realize it's cheaper in the long run to always buy high quality glass. I'm not saying you need a S&B or anything, but you ought to be prepared for at least $600, more preferably $800 or $1000.

-matt

Thanks for all the info--yeah I think I won't try bump-firing with my dpms--for one thing it's heavy, for another, ammo for it doesn't cost 16 cents a shell like for an AK, it costs $1 a piece! Not to mention I probably shouldn't do that kind of rough handling with something I paid $1100 bucks for XD

I'm going to get a scope pretty soon--those leupolds for about $400 look nice. I'm probably going to get a harris 9-13" swivel bipod along with a black mamba sling and an FSC compensator in .308
I also need to get a good case for it--probably one of those voodoo sniper rifle cases. Sheesh this is going to set me back a bit...I'll post pictures as soon as it's finished.

get in on the falcon 4-14x44 group buy going on in the group buy section of the for sale boards. For the money, the falcons are great. They are not a nightforce or USO, but they are not trying to be either, unlike our "friends" at countersniper.

I use the falcon on my .30-06, I have the 4.5-18 version. I love it, my only beef is the mushy knobs. but for the price, can't beat it with a stick.

There use to be a post here on the hide about installing a Rock River Two Stage trigger, i did mine, very easy (did have to file a little on saftey bar (on DPMS) for it to work correctly. ? find the post ?

Call Brownells in Montezuma IA @ 800-741-0015.
Ask for their big catalog (no gun nut should be w/o it) AND ask for their new
AR15/M16/AR type 308 special catalog too.
It has ALL the toys any boy could want to upgrade his AR 10.
I have a fully tricked out lower with a 260 LR (see below), 300 Saum LR upper and the new 16" 308 tactical (hate that word) upper. Your 308 LR will outshoot most bolt guns and at a lot higher rate. Enjoy!
dpms260.jpg

Since it sounds like you are getting the glass advice, let mereiterate.....

Trigger, trigger and then think trigger.

the DPMS trigger is a boat anchor.

I have a Geiselle in one of mine (the DMR model) and a RRA NM 2 stage in my shortie 308.

Trigger. Trust me.

I have a Miculek comp in my 16 inch bbl model. It does take up the felt recoil, and it makes it loud as all get out for the people near you. The shooter doesnt hear any difference as the noise/pressure is pushed to the sides. But try to shoot it at an indoor range sometime, you will NOT make any friends!!

If you are concerned about recoil, get a suppressor (I have one on my shooter), not a compensator.

So, glass, trigger, sound suppressor. Yep, $2500 should be good
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: our gang</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Call Brownells in Montezuma IA @ 800-741-0015.
I have a fully tricked out lower with a 260 LR (see below), 300 Saum LR upper and the new 16" 308 tactical (hate that word) upper. Your 308 LR will outshoot most bolt guns and at a lot higher rate. Enjoy!
dpms260.jpg

</div></div>

Really nice gun you have there! I hope I have mine looking complete pretty soon.

craaaaaaaaaaaap, I guess I can kiss that GSG and saiga 12 gauge goodbye XD

This is what I figure (max) for what I'm going to have to put in to this gun (which yes it is worth it or else I wouldn't have bought it--I didn't just buy it for a pretty paper weight XD )

Magpul adjustable stock with monopod: $315
Scope: $400-$600
Suppressor/compensator + barrel threading: $150
Harris Swivel Bi-pod: $100
Barrel mounted picanny system:$25
Forward pistol grip with hidden bipod: $50
Trigger upgrade: $250
non-stick camo wrap with releaf camo strips: $30
Total:$1300-$1530 not including tax...
This doesn't include ammo... crap I need to sell some of my arrowhead collection to pay for this lol I also need to do it soon before you know who taxes the living hell out of everything.

I can wait on some of the stuff, but a scope, compensator and bi-pod are a must before I start shooting. Then I'll get the rest starting with the trigger upgrade, as the funds are available. I'll post pictures as soon as I have the first bells and whistles on

I'd get a match trigger, better scope and the bipod. You don't need a brake, my 300 SAUM has none... 12 pound rifles don't kick much. The only reason my 260 has one is that it was a custom job that the customer failed to pay for, so I did.
All the other stuff is "nice to have" and won't improve accuracy. Also I am stocking up on ammo, remember the 308 is a military caliber and who knows what our new regime will do to limit sales of "military weapons and ammo".
I know i am buying 2000 rounds for my new 308 16" DPMS tactical upper.
Here's the SAUM, damn S&Bs cost more than the rifles! But what optics!
dpms30saum1.jpg

dont worry about a muzzle break, you wont need one. Why are you getting a forward grip with the bipod when your getting a harris? Barrel mounted picatinny? elaborate please, are you talking about a gas block, or a handguard? Your too worried on looks right now, get your gun an optic, and some match rounds, dont go buy walmart winny's. Get some Cor-Bon, Black Hills or some type of match round. Try 175 or 168 gr. depending on twist of the barrel.

have this gun on order with the A3upper and J&P trigger. will do the other mods i want later but it was hard as anything tracking this gun down... i too called everywhere and finally found it online. had been looking at it for a while and was finally sold after talking to a guy at a local 1000 yard and under range about his that he'd just gotten after a 8 month wait.

already have a harris bipod but plan on changing the stock and grip and putting a muzzle brake on it quickly. not worried about the recoil as ive shot 308 semis before and its nothing compared to my model 70 264 win mag. want it more so for keeping muzzle jump as minimum as possible as this will be used for clearing out yotes and all the damn hogs we have around here.

comes in tuesday. mounting a scope i already have on it for now- leupold vx3l 6.5-20x56 until i put that on a future bolt action build.

ordered reloading dies as well since i havent owned a 308 before. going to shoot some factory ammo and see what it likes for a bit then mimic it and experiment. i did go ahead and order 250 168g a-max as ive seen lots of people recommending loads with that bullet.

1st post after lurking on here for a while

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: silverphoenix</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: our gang</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Call Brownells in Montezuma IA @ 800-741-0015.
dpms260.jpg

</div></div>

Magpul adjustable stock with monopod: $315 <span style="font-weight: bold">not needed</span>
Scope: $400-$600
Suppressor/compensator + barrel threading: $150 <span style="font-weight: bold">Not needed</span>
Harris Swivel Bi-pod: $100
Barrel mounted picanny system:$25
Forward pistol grip with hidden bipod: $50 <span style="font-weight: bold">2 bipods really?</span>
Trigger upgrade: $250 <span style="font-weight: bold">Needed!!!</span>
non-stick camo wrap with releaf camo strips: $30
Total:$1300-$1530 </div></div>

Check bold.

You don't have to spend 250 on a trigger but geissele is nice.

holy hell this gun is amazing out of the box... has the JP trigger and A3upper but everything else stock. added my shorter harris bipod and put a one piece quick release ring mount to hold the leupold vx3l 6.5-20x56 for now.

did a barrel break in process on it at the 100 yard indoor range and was amazed at how well it was shooting. finally got it to the 1000 yard range yesterday and after checking my zero on the 100 i moved to the long range. immediately started dropping 250 and 500 like they were nothing. made a mental error when dialing up for 750 as my turrets make 6moa in a revolution (duh... 5 to 0 is 1moa) and i overadjusted for 750. after missing 4 out of 5 shots i was kinda confused and went back to 250 and 500 practicing fast follow ups and engagement at the 2 different lengths. happy as can be with it so far.

shot hornady zombie max 168gr and will be sticking with a load in that brass with the a-max bullet and 4895 to start out. bought the zmax ammo after reading that it was actually a-max match ammo with a green tip in a funny box. it says match on the shells.

not a single malfunction so far. i cleaned it and miltec dry lubed it (best stuff ever and use on my sig and kimber) before i even shot it. i used the 19 round metal mags the first time i shot it but quickly picked up 4 magpul mags and have been using those exclusively since. theyre easier to load and remove rounds from and i like that they have dust covers. slightly lighter and definitely feel better.

for the money, this gun is flat out amazing.

IMG_20120119_171858.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: silverphoenix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just bought a nice DPMS LR 308 with the 24" stainless fluted barrel. I have several questions about setting it up since I'm more familiar with short range rifles, shotguns and pistols.

5. Anything else I should worry about?
</div></div>

Cant help it, if you bought an ar15 308 you better put that bad boy on for sale for 15,000.00 I have never seen a 308 on a 15 lower and my friend you have a rare one.
smile.gif