Gunsmithing Just Into Rifles, Got A Few Questions...

Hello Everyone,
I'm an avid shooter with handguns, but rifles are my new addiction. I love the idea of hitting a pinpoint from a mile away. Anyways, I'd love to take up Marksmanship as a hobby, along with "Armoring"? I'd like to be an armorer as a hobby, I'm not sure what the technical name is for it, haha. Plus, with my friend opening a local gun shop real soon, and me just graduating highschool and turning 18 in May, it could make a nice career for me. So I was wondering if anybody knew the best books out there to read to get started in armament and marksmanship?

Thanks Much,
C. Negatory

Re: Just Into Rifles, Got A Few Questions...

Join the Military... preferably the Army or Marines, Infantry either way.... after you get a little experience, then go to a good gunsmith school, then apprentice for a few years....

if you're not willing to do all this...

stick with xbox

These guys have some marksmenship courses and jobs as armorers available. Ordinance officers get to play with some real cool stuff. http://www.goarmy.com/

Though some here will swear by these guys training.
http://www.marines.com/?WT.mc_id=AXW123AXXAXX0207

Boy Scouts marksmenship training was all I needed to shoot expert on the army course, though we did have Marine instructors in the scouts. Your results may vary.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: force_multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Join the Militay... preferably the Army or Marines,Infantry either way.... after you get a little experience, then go to a good gunsmith school, then apprentice for a few years....

if you're not willing to do all this...

stick with xbox</div></div> ^^^This. And the term you're looking for is "Gunsmith".

Pinpoint at a mile? Yeah, you have a long way to go and a lot to learn. Start studying and spending a lot of time at the range. Learn how to differentiate the truth from the BS because that is what "pinpoint at a mile" is... pure BS. I mean a real range with real shooters, not some place in the middle of the desert where guys go to blast the hell out of their old TV and beer bottles they just finished drinking. Local CMP, F Class, 3 gun, bench rest, Appleseed Project, etc. type matches and ranges is where you need to be.

While your enthusiasm is admirable, if it were me and I wanted to learn more about rifle shooting and equipment I would start by doing it more. Attend a Service rifle, highpower match rifle, silhouette, or Palma match once and you'll see. Tactical matches are cool too I'm sure, but I can't comment because I've never attended one.

If there's ever anything I can do id be happy to help.

C

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CaptainNegatory</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello Everyone,
I'm an avid shooter with handguns, but rifles are my new addiction. I love the idea of hitting a pinpoint from a mile away. Anyways, I'd love to take up Marksmanship as a hobby, along with "Armoring"? I'd like to be an armorer as a hobby, I'm not sure what the technical name is for it, haha. Plus, with my friend opening a local gun shop real soon, and me just graduating highschool and turning 18 in May, it could make a nice career for me. So I was wondering if anybody knew the best books out there to read to get started in armament and marksmanship?

Thanks Much,
C. Negatory </div></div>

You don't need any books or classes to become a gunsmith. Everything you need to know about gunsmithing can be found on youtube. Start here:

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IPQM4h-UZtc"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IPQM4h-UZtc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Talk nicely to Chad, Id say he could be looking for an apprentice soon. Come on Chad give the kid a start.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shankster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You don't need any books or classes to become a gunsmith. Everything you need to know about gunsmithing can be found on youtube. Start here:

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IPQM4h-UZtc"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IPQM4h-UZtc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>
</div></div>

Holy shit! Thats the funny!

"My gun vice, brought to you by Natural Light..."

Ok, seriously now. The advice of joining up and learning the trade from both ends and the middle in the military is hard to beat. Not to mention the whole honor of service thing. Think about it.

There is a big difference between an Armorer and a Gunsmith. Armorers service and maintain a weapons paltform, or platforms used by a group or an organization. The military and law enforcement use armorers as they generally use common weapons platforms. For example a standard unit armorer in the army might be well versed in servicing weapons used by the unit he/she is assigned to. They'll be able to maintain M16/M4, M249, M9, M2, and M240 type weapons, but you wouldn't necesarily expect them to be able to build a stick from ground up, or troubleshoot your Winchester 94. The gunsmith is generally well versed in a wide variety of weapons, woodworking, metal finishing, machine work, etc, etc, etc... you get the point. Some smiths will specialize in specific areas like 1911's, bolt guns, competition/match rifles, milsurps and so on.

Your best bet is to FORGET EVERYTHING YOU THINK YOU KNOW and grab a broom. My husband was an experienced armorer with MIL/LE backgrounds, but when he apprenticed under a seasoned smith he was a shop bitch and learned everything the smith had to teach him. He slowly took what little work the smith would trust him with until he proved his skills and gained the trust of the smith. Liability is huge and reputation is priceless in the business, and you have to earn the right to do work that will reflect upon the shop you're working in.

If you are serious, then there is a long road ahead. Good luck, and welcome aboard. Do more listening than talking here. Guys like CDixon and the like are priceless sources of info and inspiration. Have fun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mikki</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Talk nicely to Chad, Id say he could be looking for an apprentice soon. Come on Chad give the kid a start. </div></div>

I take a very simple approach to this sort of thing. If I may I'll tell a story.

I was 19 and working as a PMI (yes, as a punk "Coupon" Lance Criminal in the Marines I was a PMI) there was a feller down on the big end of Wilcox range shooting this funny looking rifle that I'd never seen before.

During a break I wandered down there and that's where it began for me. Sgt Jeff Lakey was practicing with a National Match M-14 and I was hooked. He let me shoot it a couple times and gave me his phone number.

I then literally stalked the man for 6 MONTHS. I called, I called, and I called. No answer, take a message. . .

Finally I called his 1st Sgt and with chattering teeth asked why a Sgt would give me his phone number and then gaff me off for an entire shooting season.

I got a call a few days later and then I learned something. He told me he was approached 10 times a week about joining the shooting team (Camp Pendelton's 1st FSSG shooting team, not Quantico) Gaffing me off was his way of screening candidates.

My point is there's those who say "my, it'd be cool to work on guns."

Then there's those who go do it.

I'm patiently waiting for the bright light that shows up in the shop and won't go away. Someone willing to get a commercial pilots license with a broom and dustpan first.

Till that happens I'm a one man band.

Another thing I saw once while on active duty. A sign that hung inside the Navy/Marine Corps Relief society:

<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">"It's unrealistic for me to work on your life harder than you are willing to."</span></span>

Absolutely Chad, if you get it on a plate it means nothing and never will. If a kid wants to be a rifle builder he will be a rifle builder and nothing will stand his way. If a kid wants to work in your shop he'll work in your shop even if you dont want it he'll find a way whether you want it or not. I had people laugh at me when I went setting up my place, not because they didnt think I was capable but because they knew I had no money and they thought Id never commit to it enough to make it happen. Well I dont hear too much laughter these days, its more begrudgery I get these days. Its great though isnt it.