• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Just stop? Or keep chasing perfection?

Strbrd22

Private
Minuteman
Supporter
Aug 1, 2024
Western NY
Wanted thoughts from the group. Recently got back into reloading and have been upgrading my equipment. Had not shot my 260 in about 5 years but using my Redding BB2, FX120i w V1 autotrickler, and Redding comp dies, put together the pictured group yesterday.

Over the past two weeks, I’ve ordered some new heat (Henderson trimmer, 419
Zero, autotrickler V4, arbor press) but have not set anything up yet. I’m honestly astounded at the results I got with this rather archaic system. I wonder if I just keep the system I have (don’t fix what isn’t broke), or I start from scratch with the new equipment. What are your thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_0653.jpeg
    IMG_0653.jpeg
    610.1 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_0644.jpeg
    IMG_0644.jpeg
    594.7 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_0565.jpeg
    IMG_0565.jpeg
    552.1 KB · Views: 97
Depends on what you are doing with it and how much of it you plan on doing.

If it's just general shooting, hunting etc you are good to go assuming you don't have some special 'need' to get better performance or some other stuff that we don't know about.

hah! I agree with all the answers so far. My fear is starting 'over' and torpedoing where my process / progress is at the moment. Dang. I guess I will see how the new equipment improves things (if at all) and keep the old stuff around just in case. Thanks for the replies!

Your more likely to set all that up, make the same exact ammo and get the same exact results

Some stuff is nice to have but it doesn’t necessarily make the groups any better

But the same could be said for a lot of the equipment we use here

I'm no expert, but to me that looks like a little wobble from breathing, or inconsistent shoulder repositioning causing the leftmost shots, so it would probably be closer to a 1/4" MOA if you went back and shot it again. But there's nothing to complain about these results.

I'm no expert, but to me that looks like a little wobble from breathing, or inconsistent shoulder repositioning causing the leftmost shots, so it would probably be closer to a 1/4" MOA if you went back and shot it again. But there's nothing to complain about these results.

I hope this is trolling.

I upgrade now to save time. I have used a half dozen scales over the year, double weighing, etc. mandrels. New dies, etc.

Now, I buy shit to save time. Like primed brass. Starting on a 550 I just purchased.

This is my bias, but when it’s all said and done if you can make ammo that is accurate in less time, the upgrades will pay for themselves. At the end of the day, for me, I’d rather be in trail with my wife and dogs, or on the range/competition instead of loading.

I upgrade now to save time. I have used a half dozen scales over the year, double weighing, etc. mandrels. New dies, etc.

Now, I buy shit to save time. Like primed brass. Starting on a 550 I just purchased.

This is my bias, but when it’s all said and done if you can make ammo that is accurate in less time, the upgrades will pay for themselves. At the end of the day, for me, I’d rather be in trail with my wife and dogs, or on the range/competition instead of loading.
Sage advice. I like this notion. Appreciate the input!

1) Is that single .21" group the only one ever shot, or are there a half-dozen more like it? I learned my lesson shooting one (4) shot group or whatever and thinking I've found a load. Not trying to dig up the random dispersion argument, but anecdotally I did this once myself a few decades ago and then immediately went home and reloaded 100 rounds of my new "amazing" recipe. Turned out to be a very solid 1 MOA load for the duration...and not the 1/4 MOA load I shot the first group with. I now shoot a load at least 3 times (usually 4), and at distance before I make a determination about its consistency.

2) Only the owner of a rifle system can determine whether or not further adjustment with a load or equipment is necessary. Does it meet the accuracy requirement for your intended discipline? Do you shoot well enough depending on position to be able to tell a difference? Is it worth the component cost for further development to you? Do you just like tinkering with loads (like me)?

3) While new equipment CAN lead to better consistency in handloading, the diminishing value curve hits quickly and gets costly in a hurry. I still use a single-stage press and archaic equipment myself. A lot of guys up until a decade ago (and some still are) were posting some pretty damn impressive scores in the accuracy disciplines with the same equipment you'd find on your grandfather's reloading bench. Equipment does not equal concentration and attention to detail.

^ Where the latest and greatest equipment is really beneficial is in saving you a significant amount of time during the reloading process. My guess is the OP will make equally consistent ammunition...just in a lot less time.