• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Kahles 318i.. thoughts?

Long time viewer, first time poster here.
I was wondering if anyone has experience with the Kahles K318i? I'm kicking around getting one of these. Either this or a PM2. I know it's not apples to apples, but those are the two I'm between for an AR10 target/hunting rifle.

I had a Kahles 3-18 for roughly a year on an 18" 5.56 gun. Honestly loved it, eyebox is forgiving, FOV and glass are good and reticle is solid. It's not a light scope at 32oz but that doesn't bother me. My main "complaint" with the k318i is the lack of locking windage. Other than that I can't think of any downsides.
Only reason I sold it is I wanted to standardize on reticles across all my rifles and I couldn't afford three of them. Unfortunately I have no real experience with the S&B beyond looking through them a few times.

Long time viewer, first time poster here.
I was wondering if anyone has experience with the Kahles K318i? I'm kicking around getting one of these. Either this or a PM2. I know it's not apples to apples, but those are the two I'm between for an AR10 target/hunting rifle.

Feel free to give us a call at 916-670-1103 and I'll be happy to discuss it with you :)

I have one and it is a awesome scope, I bought it to go on a Sig Cross. Mine has the windage guard or whatever the hell you call it, I cant find anything that I dislike about it. On 3 power the SKMR give you an aiming point and at 18 I had no problem banging steel with my old 308 out to 1345, well seeing the steel and hitting it occasionally.:D

For me personally I had a hard time, using a one piece mount on a bolt action, with getting my eye close enough without compromising position. On a gas gun where that is less of a concern, no worries. Otherwise, they are very nice. A little narrower than others but it’s not like looking through a paper towel roll. Optically I feel it matched my K525i. I had a couple QC issues between multiple scopes. Kahles never ceased to make things right and why I’ll always have at least one of their scopes.

The K318i is a phenomenal scope, but not at full retail, look at classifieds and these scopes hover around $2400. If you’re thinking of paying over $3k then look at the ZCO ZC420, it’s a better scope in almost every way. The K318i was my top pick for an ultra short (mine had better IQ than the two Schmidt US 3-20’s I had and the Kahles had much better turrets - caveat: the new Schmidt DT II+ turrets are phenomenal and a significant improvement over the older DT turrets). If you are after amazing FOV then go Schmidt, if you love the top parallax then go Kahles, if you want locking turrets, and the best glass to be found in an Ultra Short then go ZCO. The new Schmidt DT II+ turrets are locking as well I should mention. All three of these scopes are within a couple ounces of each other so choose based on features and which reticle you like the most, just don’t overpay for the Kahles if you decide to go that route.

If you’re bored one day, you can read my review of these scopes here -