Kelbly Nanook 6mm Creedmoor build advice!

Bmil94

Private
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2023
Pennsylvania
I just acquired a Kelbly Nanook action and am looking for advice on a first-time rifle build. I want to build a 6mm creedmoor. I know the nanook is technically a hunting action but I'm not too concerned with the rifle being super light-weight. I got a good deal on the action so I ended up taking it.

I've never put together a rifle before. 90% of my shooting is going to be off of a bench. I have a 500 yard range close to me and want to do some plinking. I also wouldn't mind being able to take it to a bench rest shoot or lay in a field with it and hunt groundhogs. Does anyone have advice on barrel contour, twist, stock/chassis, trigger?

I am thinking a heavy varmint barrel in a 1-7.5 twist. Any reputable companies with a decent lead time right now that I could order it already chambered? Bugholes?

I am not sure on a stock/chassis. Maybe a mcmillan A5?

If anyone has any recommendations it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Reactions: Cody S
Bug holes is my go to barrel place ( lead time for prefits is 7-8 weeks). My 6 creed sports a crb comp contour and balances well. It is heavy, but I like it. My son likes his m24 profile all are 26”. I have been using manners, the t2a or T4a are great and not too heavy.

I have two ( also 2 T2As) all have the M5 mini chassis.
The standard is a a carbon/glass mix, the Elite uses a pure Carbon Fiber shell, which if you get one of the clear coat finishes look spectacular.
For trigger I was using the trigger tech diamond. They are precise, zero over travel and adjustable for stage weight ( I shoot 2 stage, it is a b personal preference). I have recently switched to Bix’n Andi Tac sport Pro X 2 Stage. They have a little overtravel but are much more adjustable and just “feel” better to me.

Last edited:
I have two ( also 2 T2As) all have the M5 mini chassis.
The standard is a a carbon/glass mix, the Elite uses a pure Carbon Fiber shell, which if you get one of the clear coat finishes look spectacular.
For trigger I was using the trigger tech diamond. They are precise, zero over travel and adjustable for stage weight ( I shoot 2 stage, it is a b personal preference). I have recently switched to Bix’n Andi Tac sport Pro X 2 Stage. They have a little overtravel but are much more adjustable and just “feel” better to me.
Awesome, thanks for the help. I noticed the manners isn’t offered for the kelbly nanook only the kelbly atlas.

TS Customs can get a barrel to you in 2-4 weeks. They do awesome work. Typically have Benchmark and CRB barrels on the shelf.

24-28" in a heavy contour like a HV should be fine. Heavy Palma or M24/40 if you want to go slightly lighter. 1-7.5 twist is good.

Stocks/chassis and triggers are personal preference.

Reactions: oldrifleman
I just acquired a Kelbly Nanook action and am looking for advice on a first-time rifle build. I want to build a 6mm creedmoor. I know the nanook is technically a hunting action but I'm not too concerned with the rifle being super light-weight. I got a good deal on the action so I ended up taking it.

I've never put together a rifle before. 90% of my shooting is going to be off of a bench. I have a 500 yard range close to me and want to do some plinking. I also wouldn't mind being able to take it to a bench rest shoot or lay in a field with it and hunt groundhogs. Does anyone have advice on barrel contour, twist, stock/chassis, trigger?

I am thinking a heavy varmint barrel in a 1-7.5 twist. Any reputable companies with a decent lead time right now that I could order it already chambered? Bugholes?

I am not sure on a stock/chassis. Maybe a mcmillan A5?

If anyone has any recommendations it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
I'm almost finished with a 6mm Creedmore assembly for myself. I used a Krieger modified Heavy Palma contour 7.5" twist barrel. My stock is a McMillan Game Warden. I'm using a Surgeon action and Surgeon bottom metal. If I were doing another I would use a different combination of stock and bottom metal.

I like the stock and I like the bottom metal but they don't fit together exactly the way I wish they would.

I'm almost finished with a 6mm Creedmore assembly for myself. I used a Krieger modified Heavy Palma contour 7.5" twist barrel. My stock is a McMillan Game Warden. I'm using a Surgeon action and Surgeon bottom metal. If I were doing another I would use a different combination of stock and bottom metal.

I like the stock and I like the bottom metal but they don't fit together exactly the way I wish they would.
What do you plan on doing with this build mainly? Hunting?

No hunting, its too heavy for that. I'm hoping to use it to develop shooting skill at longer distances. I've never shot at anything beyond about 350 yards.

for long range shooting, heavy just shoots easier.
go full MTU profile, as long as you can, and as nice of a chassis as you can afford. like foundation samson, mdt gen 2 premier. I own both of those and they're nice. it's all about budget and weight.

If I had a Nanook and was doing a 6 Creed build I would probably keep it "medium" weight or weight "conscious" as I like to call it...

- Bix and Andy for the trigger, it's Kelbly's recommended trigger.

- 24" Medium Palma barrel contour. Heavy enough for target shooting/longer strings of fire, without being over the top heavy. Brake or suppressor of choice.

- Foundation Revelation or similar light-ish/hybrid stock from Manners or McMillan. Hawkins M5 bottom metal.

A build like this will likely do everything you intend to do. Heavy enough for target shooting all day. Light enough you can carry it around fields for groundhogs. I'm in Ohio and have had a few rifles setup like this and it's great for those intended functions.

Doing a heavy build on a Nanook would seem a little weird to me, but obviously can be done without issue. It really is your choice to make

Last edited: