• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Kelby Atlas Tactical Issue - Excessive Cock On Close

ArmchairOperator

Ya Missed
Minuteman
Legend
Jan 14, 2019
Huntsville, Alabama
I purchased a Kelby Atlas Tactical SA barreled action from Preferred Barrel Blanks with their CF wrapped heavy palma barrel, 24” 6.5 PRC. This Atlas has trigger pins instead of a hanger. Installed a Huber Concepts 2 stage trigger, and am experiencing excessive cock on close, I think. I called Kelbly and they told me it’s the trigger that’s the problem and to contact Huber. Huber had me send the trigger back in and called me and told me that it measures perfectly in spec. I measured total pin fall and cock on close. My measurements are 0.208 fall from shroud to pin in the fired position, plus 0.088 protrusion from shroud to pin in the cocked position. I also measured the protrusion with bolt open just engaging the lug raceway, and got 0.055, therefore from open to closed in getting 0.033” cock on close, and total pin fall is 0.296, Kelby said the max they want to see is 0.275 of pin fall, or could have issues with pierced primers on hot loads. Huber says if he takes 0.021 off his trigger it will give me 0.012 cock on close which he said is what he likes, but it will make his trigger fall out of normal Remington trigger spec. He said he would dress it but that Kelbly probably needs to change or dress their cocking piece. Other part of this puzzle is Preferred stated the bolt was not matched to the action. I don’t know much about trigger timing but I know my measurements are accurate. What are my options here? What should pin fall be max and min? What should target be for cock on close? Should I have trigger adjusted all the way or should I get Kelly to time it? Is this something I can do myself? I run a machine shop so I potentially can do what’s needed I just don’t know what’s needed.

Thanks

I purchased a Kelby Atlas Tactical SA barreled action from Preferred Barrel Blanks with their CF wrapped heavy palma barrel, 24” 6.5 PRC. This Atlas has trigger pins instead of a hanger. Installed a Huber Concepts 2 stage trigger, and am experiencing excessive cock on close, I think. I called Kelbly and they told me it’s the trigger that’s the problem and to contact Huber. Huber had me send the trigger back in and called me and told me that it measures perfectly in spec. I measured total pin fall and cock on close. My measurements are 0.208 fall from shroud to pin in the fired position, plus 0.088 protrusion from shroud to pin in the cocked position. I also measured the protrusion with bolt open just engaging the lug raceway, and got 0.055, therefore from open to closed in getting 0.033” cock on close, and total pin fall is 0.296, Kelby said the max they want to see is 0.275 of pin fall, or could have issues with pierced primers on hot loads. Huber says if he takes 0.021 off his trigger it will give me 0.012 cock on close which he said is what he likes, but it will make his trigger fall out of normal Remington trigger spec. He said he would dress it but that Kelbly probably needs to change or dress their cocking piece. Other part of this puzzle is Preferred stated the bolt was not matched to the action. I don’t know much about trigger timing but I know my measurements are accurate. What are my options here? What should pin fall be max and min? What should target be for cock on close? Should I have trigger adjusted all the way or should I get Kelly to time it? Is this something I can do myself? I run a machine shop so I potentially can do what’s needed I just don’t know what’s needed.

Thanks
Trigger timing......I would modify the cocking piece. (send action & trigger to Kelbly's)