• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Kestrel 4500nv Applied Ballistics?

It's cool, but the model is unnecessary for a new shooter to learn to shoot or a good shooter to shoot better.
If you have an Android/iPhone, tablet already you can use this for your DOPE in the field.
You need at least a Kestrel that will give you density altitude (model 3000 and above) though...these are worth the costs IMO.

If you have the funds and wanna go balls deep, the all in one package that's provided with the AB or Horus Kestrels are very nice and do work. It does help to keep the equipment you carry around to a minimum.

The added costs of the Bluetooth are up to the user and how they plan on using the Kestrel...whether they are going to sync it to an Android or PC device (won't work with iOS).

Last edited:
Fuck yeah its worth the coin. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. I have been faced with some hard decisions gun wise in the last 3-4 months. Do I want a high end glass for my AR or a LRF? I choose the LRF and went with a fixed power SWFA. Do I want another pistol/gun or do I want a Kestrel with AB, I went with the Kestrel with AB. I'd rather be sending 1 round to get the job done then blasting away.

If you have money INVEST in a Kestrel with AB. Bluetooth is a no brainer as well, if you are going to sync it with a PC(Not a mac) you have two choices, buy a $100 data cable or spend $100 on bluetooth. I went the bluetooth route.

Do you need it? No. JBM Ballistics worked excellent for me. I never even used DA, shame on me but I just took the local weather station data and then punched it into JBM. Have I noticed an increase in first round hit % using the Kestrel. Hell yes. It also requires no internet connection, batteries can be replaced(Not running around looking for an outlet) and it doesn't suck on power like my iPhone 5 does.

Seriously whats not to like? The cost? Okay I understand, sell one of those pistols in the back of your safe that you never shoot, or that Remington action you have laying around for a rainy day. The kestrel with AB is an investment in the sport that I would recommend to anyone.

Hell my 22LR shooting has even gotten better. No more walking it in at 200 yards. Just dial and bang.

100% worth it.

1 device. You're not dealing w/ a battery draining phone in the rain that can't pick up the DA because there is no signal in a match, that's in the middle of the boons.

Mine is spot on out to 1,500 yards.

I find when set up correctly, mine is dead on at any distance. I don't feel like I ever miss shots because I'm high, or low on a target.

Also, if you want to update the unit you'll need blue tooth or a $100 adapter. So Get the BT up front. Otherwise you have to send it in for updates.

Here it is out to 1130 yards.

Shooting 1130 yards w 6 5 Creedmoor using 136gr Lapua Scenar L - YouTube

Here I use it at 1,500 yards

Long Range Shooting: 6.5 Creedmoor out to 1,500 yards. - YouTube

And here is a Video I made on how to set it up.

Shooting long range with the Kestrel 4500NV Applied Ballistics - YouTube

Last edited:
How easy is it to set up, like from the stand point of never using any type of ballistics application what so ever?

I posted a video above on how to set it up. It should take you about 10 min.

My 4500 NV with Bluetooth is not compatible with Iphones. FYI.................

Which you don't need it to be if you have the AB version.

Is it worth the coin? Really thinking hard about taking the plunge. If I do buy it, can you guys recommend a vendor and is the Bluetooth interface worth the extra cash?

-VB

I can certainly recommend THIS vendor: Triad Tactical, Inc.*::*Kestrel Meters

I am falling behind in the Tech department and could not bring myself to get the BT version.

Does it matter which one you get? Applied ballistics or the Horus ATRAG? I'm in the same boat and would like to know more info about the Kestrels as well.

Edited:
** I just searched in google and found a few threads about the differences. I'll be reading up on those. **

Last edited:
Absolutely worth the money in every aspect. I don't go hunting or to the range without it. I have several ballistic apps on my phone but when in the boonies you still need to carry a weather meter for your atmospherics. They just don't cut it in those situations where there is no cell coverage. With a LRF and a Kestrel you have everything at your finger tips. I have the AB model and the firing solutions have been right on the money.

Does it matter which one you get? Applied ballistics or the Horus ATRAG? I'm in the same boat and would like to know more info about the Kestrels as well.

Edited:
** I just searched in google and found a few threads about the differences. I'll be reading up on those. **

I would recommend Applied Ballistics for long range percision as from personal experience and reading here on the boards the Litz coefficient just works better. There are reports of issues of the horus dropping off after a certain velocity.

Diesel, thanks for all the input! My tax return should be in by tomorrow or Monday. I will be ordering one with the Bluetooth based on this thread and other research I've done. Now can you guys recommend a vendor or should I just buy from the first one that pops up on Google? This really has me excited. Thanks for all the input fellas!

-VB

How easy is it to set up, like from the stand point of never using any type of ballistics application what so ever?

Just got my 4500 with Bluetooth last week, bought it directly from Litz. I am 63 yoa and hardly a hi tech guy. I have issues with my i pod as a matter of fact.
Still using a flip phone, have NEVER texted, or sent as much as a photo with a phone. We live rural and have zero coverage. So I know nothing about the current hi tech phones.

All that said....I was AMAZED how easy it was to set up the Kestrel. I DID download and copy the manual off of the Kestrel site as the enclosed manual is about font size #1. Way too small to read easily.

I read the manual and started setting it up...it was really easy.

I was on the fence on spending the cash as well. I figured if it was too hard to figure out, or whatever....I could always drop the price a bit and sell it on the Hide.

FN in MT

Just got my 4500 with Bluetooth last week, bought it directly from Litz. I am 63 yoa and hardly a hi tech guy. I have issues with my i pod as a matter of fact.
Still using a flip phone, have NEVER texted, or sent as much as a photo with a phone. We live rural and have zero coverage. So I know nothing about the current hi tech phones.

All that said....I was AMAZED how easy it was to set up the Kestrel. I DID download and copy the manual off of the Kestrel site as the enclosed manual is about font size #1. Way too small to read easily.

I read the manual and started setting it up...it was really easy.

I was on the fence on spending the cash as well. I figured if it was too hard to figure out, or whatever....I could always drop the price a bit and sell it on the Hide.

FN in MT

That's really great to know, all the stuff I have read and the videos I have watched have my head spinning, I'm glad to know it's pretty straight forward process.

That's really great to know, all the stuff I have read and the videos I have watched have my head spinning, I'm glad to know it's pretty straight forward process.

I'm not saying I have it 100% figured out...But it appears to be simple enough I have so far...not had any issues I couldn't shortly figure out by going back to the manual.

I DO wish Litz or Kestrel would do a simple step by step on how to effectively USE it.

I'm not saying I have it 100% figured out...But it appears to be simple enough I have so far...not had any issues I couldn't shortly figure out by going back to the manual.

I DO wish Litz or Kestrel would do a simple step by step on how to effectively USE it.

Yes it would be nice for a step by step initial setup video. Most I have seen just give a quick overview, Ryan's video was a pretty good one on how to set it up but still a little quick. I think once I have one in hand it will be easier to understand.

I haven't looked at every vendor, but I think it's cheaper directly from Applied Ballistics LLC. They are supposed to have the I-phone version of the software approved by Apple soon. I hope the Kestrel will be able to Bluetooth to the I-phone then also.

Slug-o Unless you have super vision...I'd suggest going to the Kestrel site and print out the 4500 AB manual. A hell of a lot easier to read versus the 2" x 3" manual shipped with the instrument.
And it will give you something to look at waiting for it to arrive.

Is it worth the coin? Really thinking hard about taking the plunge. If I do buy it, can you guys recommend a vendor and is the Bluetooth interface worth the extra cash?

-VB

In my opinion yes and I did not go with the BT option. I got the PC interface and it is very easy to use. AllKestrel.com had a bundle sale on when I got mine which gave me more items for the same money.

I'm not really in to electronic gadgets but the Kestrel was not hard to figure out and appears to be very accurate in the data. I also would recommend the video set by Brian Litz "Putting Rounds on Target". It has some very good info in it on calibrating the AB software.

The guys at NK are telling me that they will be putting out some video on how to use the Kestrel w/AB under field conditions so I'm looking forwards to any tips I can glean from that information when it becomes available.

Been playing with mine the past few days as well. I'm sure I'm not using it as efficiently as possible. But once I can figure out the basics without having to stop and think...I'll start refining things.

Right off I found out that I have been grossly over estimating wind speed. What I think is 20 mph is 12 or 14 mph at worse. What I estimated to be 4-6 mph is 2-3. Worth it just to LEARN what 5 mph feels like, etc. Today it was all over the place from 2-3 to 20 mph. I did better today estimating, then checking reality with the Kestrel. Neat piece of kit.

It's been a Technology overload lately...first the Kestrel arrives then we get our first Smart phones. Got a Samsung Galaxy S-4. Holy shit is that thing amazing! My old flip phone is like 5 yrs old. So a real learning curve out here for this old guy.

FN in MT

Looking at getting the 4500 AB BT, but I am wondering how much it matters to get the "NV" version? I have a $45 off coupon for a store that has the non-NV version. I might use this thing at night. What sort of normal backlight does it have, and is it worth 45 bucks to shop somewhere else?

"NV" backlighting is reddish

Looking at getting the 4500 AB BT, but I am wondering how much it matters to get the "NV" version? I have a $45 off coupon for a store that has the non-NV version. I might use this thing at night. What sort of normal backlight does it have, and is it worth 45 bucks to shop somewhere else?
The backlight of the "NV" Kestrels have reddish illumination (versus "white" light). I've never checked the backlight of any non-NV Kestrels, but from what I've read the backlight intensity of the NV versions is supposedly less bright (however, the variation in backlight intensity could just be perceived rather than actual since at a given wattage "red" light is perceived to be less harsh than "white" light. Hope this helps.

Keith

Non NV Kestrels don't have any back lighting. In darkness you can't see the display. The reason the backlight is reddish is to preserve your night vision without causing pupil constriction, hence NV.

I'm not sure you can find it without the NV
I think you might be right about this. Although none of the "Tactical" models listed on the NK web site have the "NV" designation in their model names, when you look at the features list for the Tactical models the "Night-Vision-Preserving Backlight" is standard. As an example, the Kestrel 4500 with Applied Ballistics in Tactical Dress in Olive Drab has no "NV" designation in the model name yet it is equipped with an NV backlight.

Non NV Kestrels don't have any back lighting. In darkness you can't see the display. The reason the backlight is reddish is to preserve your night vision without causing pupil constriction, hence NV.
The statements in bold are incorrect. A quick look at the features of non-NV Kestrels will prove this (for instance, the Kestrel 4500 Weather & Environmental Meter with Bluetooth in Yellow) does have backlight. One difference is that the models equipped with non-NV backlighting don't have the filter that the NV models have. According to NK, the filter reduces overall brightness and minimizes blue and green spectrum light. This results in a pinkish light (that does not destroy the user's night vision). Another difference is that NV backlights are much more dim than the standard backlight so they are harder to detect in darkness.

Keith

I didn't want to have to start my own thread for my q's about the kestrels too. I'm using a NF ATACR .25 moa scope. Wich kestrel do I get? I do like the bushnell hdmr g2 scope and could have another build with one. I will go blue tooth for software and ballistic updates. 4500 ab or 4500 Horus ???

Theirs two things to know here, and a very large thread about this from kestrel.

Its worth the money if you get the Bluetooth model. I was just out at the range a couple of weeks ago testing it at long range. Every shot hit. Now you have a couple of options.

Non-Military. Their is a program for android that works on both tablet and phone. Its about 30$ and it comes with G1 and G7 curves. However you can make your own curve, or you can buy specific ones at 2$ a piece.

Military have the option for AB Tactical. Its a bit more expensive think 150$. However it comes with all your custom curves. Its also stream lined, and much much faster. When I say much faster think the blink of an eye. I did a large report on this but ill give you the short version.

Worth it? Only if your going to use it more than twice a year. Accurate? Dead on. Every shot, every time was on target. Even out past 1000 yards. Expensive? Very. You will benefit from the Wind Vane, and Bluetooth. Its so so so much easier to use on Bluetooth. You just set it and forget it. Useful for more than just shooting? Absolutely. My wife uses it to teach soft ball because it gives you a heat index and wet bulb. The other thing you get with the 4500nv Bluetooth is time to target. cross wind for target. and the ability to save targets. Say you use the same range every time. You can program target 1, 2, 3. if its on the wind vane it will see the direction to target, and direction of wind, and adjust for you.

Also you get hold over. So you can see where to hold in scope if you don't want to make adjustments. really you should read the thread on it. http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...istics-kestrel;-pro-staff-support-thread.html

I didn't want to have to start my own thread for my q's about the kestrels too. I'm using a NF ATACR .25 moa scope. Wich kestrel do I get? I do like the bushnell hdmr g2 scope and could have another build with one. I will go blue tooth for software and ballistic updates. 4500 ab or 4500 Horus ???

Get the Applied Ballistics model. You can use this with any other site system then, not just Horus. The AB's have better resale because of this. If you get the Horus vision, then it can only be used for the Horus, which is frustrating. The AB can be used in mils or in MOA.

Great idea getting the Bluetooth model. That is very important when you want to download the custom curves from Bryan. They are SUPER accurate.

Then can I just use the kestrel or do I still need my bullet flight program running?

you can use just the kestrel. Its just easier to use the tablet. The kestrel itself has everything you need built in. Also with the Bluetooth model and a PC, you can program the kestrel from the PC, and upload profiles. Instead of doing it on the kestrel itself just use the loader. Makes it much easier to enter weapon, and ammo profiles.

you can use just the kestrel. Its just easier to use the tablet. The kestrel itself has everything you need built in. Also with the Bluetooth model and a PC, you can program the kestrel from the PC, and upload profiles. Instead of doing it on the kestrel itself just use the loader. Makes it much easier to enter weapon, and ammo profiles.

Can you elaborate why I need the tablet with me along with the kestrel. I'm not following sorry.