• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Kestrel Weather Tracker with Horus ATrag Ballistic

ikalli

Private
Minuteman
Jan 24, 2011
Iceland
One question guys, has anyone tried out this model? I was planning to upgrade my current Kestrel to the 4500 model but I noticed they have come up with a version with integrated ballistics. Since I "need" PDA (For the toy box) this could be a good opportunity to "bleed once".
What I'm trying to find out is basically, does it work, good user interface and so on? Could not find any good information on this board or reviews on the internet that answered my questions.

Kestrel Weather Tracker with Horus ATrag Ballistics

Thanks!
ikalli

Re: Kestrel Weather Tracker with Horus ATrag Ballistic

There was a horror story with one of them here, I tried to look for the thread, but couldn't find it...

the person had a problem with the horus atrag portion, and kestrel said that's horus' responsibility, so you'll need to cotnact them to fix it... well Horus wouldn't even reply back to the person.

he was going to use Horus, but then found out he'd have to go after kestrel as well since it's a joint product... don't know what happened after

I rather have a kestrel and another product for ballistic calculations

We have sold a lot of them and from the people I have talked to that bought them they all love it.

If you need one we have them and sell them at the lowest price possible.

Thanks for the reply guys. I found the post you where talking about taseal. It does not look so good from that post, too bad the customer service is crap from Horus..
Orginal Post

I'm trying to find a good review about it other than a one liner, I think its weird not to find anything if it's working up to specs and the only thing I find about it is bad talk about customer service!
smirk.gif

Any thoughts?

It wasn't that they had problems with the actuall atrag, it was the additional access to a gun library that was supposed to supplement the product. iirc. and the bluetooth option being of no use.

sorry if I am ignorant but can you use the bluetooth version and download to a pc and print out a drop chart using xls?

Thanks for the replies!
GBMaryland explained the issue with this device in detail in the other thread which helped me figure out a few things. I might send you a message Tucson? if I think of any smart questions, thanks
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ikalli</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the reply guys. I found the post you where talking about taseal. It does not look so good from that post, too bad the customer service is crap from Horus..
Orginal Post

I'm trying to find a good review about it other than a one liner, I think its weird not to find anything if it's working up to specs and the only thing I find about it is bad talk about customer service!
smirk.gif

Any thoughts? </div></div>

Have been able to take raw 35P velocity data and make first round hits on a 1.5 moa target at 1k yards using the Kestrel with ATRAG and sub moa grouping.

I bought mine from NOMAD at Impact Data Books, really great pricing and better service!!

I puts out similar data (within like .1 mil at 800-1000 yards) as my Ballistics FTE, Bulletflight and Shooter for Android. The data is good.

The only bad is that it takes a little longer to change distances (like 5 seconds more) to go from 500 yards to 1000 yards than B-FTE does. However, since the weather/pressure data is auto inputted I guess it's a wash there.

Is the Kestrel as handy for running scenarios at home, changing variables, etc. NOPE. But in the field, when simply using one rifle and load data that's pre entered, it's very handy for inputting a distance (and not having to input anything else) and getting an accurate firing solution. When going shooting or at a competition, I'll always have it and my Iphone in the bag, why wouldn't I. Now if I'm going hunting where the weather can change, altitudes can change, lots of variables.....and I want to save weight.....I can guarantee the Kestrel Atrag is coming and not the Iphone.

There, review done.

J

Thanks for the input Chiller & jasonk, this was exactly what I was looking for. Looking forward to trying this one out myself.

I got one from my wife for xmas and so far its dead on with every other ballistic software i have compared it to (and verified). Having the wind holds update via direction is super nice. It is a set it and forget it tool. Not as user friendly as other electronic devises but i also don't screw with known data in the field.

I was all set on getting the Krestel 4500NV to compliment my soon to be purchased PLRF 10C....

I read another post that set me back on the fence.... (http://snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2648506&page=3) It's a few months old and hopefully they've worked out the kinks... The problem, as I understood it, is with the software installation,Blue Tooth, Gun profiles not overwriting, but more importantly Customer Service....... I had a headache after reading it... LOL

It seems like a great combo, the 4500NV and the PLRF10C...
Just like ikalli, I needed a PDA for the tool box as well....

Thanks heatseekins, for the thumbs up on the product... I really do want it, just want to make sure it's good to go before I pull that trigger...

Its a good device, but the manual for the Horus ATrag part is inadequate and you have to figure out certain things.

The controls are rather well thought out and it is a matter of the speed of your fingers, really.

If anyone needs them we can get you setup!!