Kifaru gun bearer, but bigger?

R-B

Private
Minuteman
Jun 3, 2018
Is there anything similar to the Kifaru gun bearer, but with a bigger cradle? I’m running a Tikka Tac A1 with a 338 Ultra, and would like to carry it folded, attached to the outside of a pack. This would need a much bigger cradle than the Kifaru offers. Any ideas/suggestions?
A61F0844-8ADB-43F6-9A55-205AFF8F5750.jpeg

Just grab some flat webbing and material and sew one up.
Use 1" webbing for the "Hanger" part from the pack to the "pocket" the chassis will fit in. Plastic sliders and clips make it easy to manipulate and use.
I can post a pic later of the devise I made years ago to hold the rifle to my shoulder strap

Not sure if you have done much making stuff like that, but a lot of putting together with straight pins and fitting before sewing.

Could easily use 2' flat webbing and a stitching awle to make one that would work.

Post a pic of the chassis folded and I can give my ideas.

I have made all sorts of stuff like this over the year, from camping stuff, backpackings stuff, skiing, hunting.
Forced into from being young and poor, then realized the gear was better made and 100% what I needed always.
Ended up using a fleece lined winter camping mukluk over a cast years ago from a winter broken leg to keep it warm and dry when I went outside (who just sits around just because of a busted leg?)

@powdahound76 thanks for the input! I think I will give it a shot. By all means fire away with any ideas. I can certainly appreciate being young, poor and creative. I JB welded some legos on my previous rifle to make an adjustable, removable cheek riser that went under my triad stock pack.
58A1FBC8-9762-4210-9553-264B1C5E83F6.jpeg

Reactions: powdahound76
Issue is going to be the thickness of it folded and how it will push the butt out and the barrel and suppressor more in front of your face.

What barrel length you running?

I shorten the part the holds the buttstock by about 2” on mine, carrying a T3 .308 and the position is good for me.
Suppressor might be a bit much.

Me yesterday.
Im 5’8” and thats a 22” barrel.
I have a short torso too.
E5630557-58DE-4237-B80F-442E31A3261E.jpeg

Also a thought.
If you are carrying a chassis folded, your deployment time is pretty slow, and loud.
You might be better to see about a way to strap it to the back and just carry it taht way?

I carried a 17.5 lb rifle for white tail this year, albiet just a mile or so to a good hilltop to sit on.

Reactions: Two36
Being slow and loud may just be a sacrifice I’m willing to make, if the other options don’t work out. Like you said it’s probably easiest to start with an open chassis and use the gun bearer.

Did you carry that rifle in a gun bearer, or strapped to the pack?

Just lower the bottom part of the gun bearer until the muzzle/forend are at the right height. You'll want that thing unfolded if you need to deploy it. The gun bearer works extremely well. Molle attachment on the bottom works better than the wrap too if your pack will accommodate it.

Once you carry with gun bearer set up correctly you won't even think about any of the other goofy ways to rig up your rifle. It really does work well.

I have a chassis here I could rig up later if you want to see how it would work. You can drop the but of the rifle down to the level of your knees if need be but you won't.

Yeah, chassis open and drop the butt holder would work.
May need to drop it more to keep the suppressor from sticking up a mile above your head.

With my heavy rifle I strapped it to the back.

Then being lazy and unloaded I just carried it on my shoulder like a dang shovel. 🤣

Have tried gun bearer with 18” .308 in A5 and works dandy. Weighs 14 lbs.

And grumpy old fart is right.
Use the molle if possible. Think I mentioned that once

Reactions: Two36 and R-B
Issue is going to be the thickness of it folded and how it will push the butt out and the barrel and suppressor more in front of your face.

What barrel length you running?

I shorten the part the holds the buttstock by about 2” on mine, carrying a T3 .308 and the position is good for me.
Suppressor might be a bit much.

Me yesterday.
Im 5’8” and thats a 22” barrel.
I have a short torso too.
View attachment 7787907
You sure look old and tired in that pic.

For side of pack, their old padded radio pouches work great. You can get them on eBay for about 20 bucks.
Its bucket style, roughly 10" wide,8" tall and 3-4" deep. Have 3 bar slider mount like most of their pouches.thin padding makes it semi rigid, so easy to get things in and out of.
I attach to side/face of bag to hold anything from snowshoes to a rifle.

May be worth looking in to. Good luck.

From the looks of it @powdahound76 is getting some, Just for Men for Christmas. Are looking a little aged and fatigued in the pic 😂