• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Sidearms & Scatterguns Kimber .45acp CDP Custom Shop

GhostWriter

Private
Minuteman
Jul 17, 2011
This is a CDP and not a CDP II. Not for sure if the CDP 1 was made for public or not. I find alot of info on the CDP II but, next to nothing on the original. Was bought from a retired Kimber sales rep and was his personal sidearm for many years.

0801011816-1.jpg

Re: Kimber .45acp CDP Custom Shop

There was not a CDP 1, just CDP. The II is when the added the firing pin block and the external extractor. The external extractor only lasted a short time, the still have the FPB, but the did not change to a III.

What you have appears to be a CDP Compact. There was/is also fullsized CDP, Pro CDP and Ultra CDP.

My daily carry gun is a Pro CDP.

Custom Shop is only a roll stamp but as a series I gun it is a keeper. Always liked the melted look of the CDP's. Of a few Kimbers I have owned I have only kept my series I Custom Classic. The new guns are just nothing close to the earlier ones. Fit, finish, machining, etc all took a major dive. Enjoy it it looks well kept from the photo.

Thank you thank you thank you for the info. I have tried to look it up but come up with nothing. I know it just says CDP. I just say CDP 1 because many ask if it is a CDP II. Even the Kimber website does not mention any good info on this gun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ggmanning</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Custom Shop is only a roll stamp. </div></div>

I have been curious as to the custom shop info. I found some info on it recently. The melt job is probably a result of the Custom Shop. I guess the Custom Shop guns offered certain options not available on other models such as checkering and melts. Other options included the sights and different options on the finishing of the gun. I am not 100% on any of this info. One person said this of the Custom Shop...

"The CDPs marked Custom Shop ar earlier models before the CDP lineup was added as a mainstay with Kimber. They did the same thing with the Eclipse. As long as it doesn't have an external extractor it will be fine. As for one being better than the other I can' tell you I really doubt much more attention to detail occurs with the Custom Shop roll mark VS just CDP."

All CDP's carry the Custom Shop markings.
The 30 lpi checkering, carry melt treatment, trigger job, ambi saftey and a few other things are from the custom shop.

Kimber keeps the website updated with only current models.
There was a pre- CDP, everything was exactly as the CDP. a few hundred of each size were made, I can't recall right now what they called it. I think it was around 97-98. The following year the full line of CDP's were introduced.