Rifle Scopes Konus Spotting scope question

ronas

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 28, 2010
Charleston, South Carolina
I checked out a Konus 20-60x80 spotting scope yesterday, at a gunshop not at the range. It seemed quite nice for a Chinese made scope. I took it outside and at 60 power it did have purple fringing around the edges.

The scope seemed very light considering it's size and the weight of other scopes I've seen at our range.
<span style="font-weight: bold">
So the question is: Are the optics of the Knous plastic or glass?</span>

Re: Knous Spotting scope question

Here's what I found out about the Konus 20-60x80 spotting scope.

I finally got ahold of Konus USA in Florida. I spoke with technical support guy who was most helpful. Here's what he said in a nutshell.

1- scope is light because body is made of some kind of plastic, polypropylene maybe, purportedly because birder's do not want to schlep around a heavy scope all day
2- scope is made in China
3- glass is made in Japan and all optics are glass
4- the 7120 model with the 80mm objective is Konus biggest seller
5- about the only problems they have had are damage related to them being dropped or falling off a bench
6-the 80mm was recommended over the 100mm objective because the 100mm is front heavy, so much so it does not come with a tripod. The one that comes with the 80mm scope is not strong enough to use with scope with larger objective

Even though the glass is made in Japan, where very good glass can be sourced, it is made to the specs. Konus specifies. Therefore the glass is not the greatest, thus the purple aberration at very high magnification.

For the price I believe it to be a very good deal.

I purchased mine for $179.95 plus 12.50 shipping for a total of $192.45.

Re: Konus Spotting scope question

I like mine the one I have doesnt have the purple fringing. Its the best spotting scope in its price range. Ps The tripod sucks youll most likely have to uppgrade it!

I have a barska, and a friend has a konus and another the Kowa> The kowa is excellent and the konus makes my barska look like crap so, basically, there are better and worse spotting scopes but for the money they are not too bad.
Hope this helps.

I like mine, it does everything I need it to. As has been mentioned the tripod sucks. The zipper on the carrying case broke the first time I used it. The caps that cover the optics always fall off.Eventually I will buy a Kowa, but until then, the Konus works well for me.