• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

KRG Bravo vs MDT ORYX

PearlWhiteGT

Private
Minuteman
Nov 28, 2011
Corpus Christi, Texas
I recently purchased a Howa 1500 SA Barreled Action in 308 with a 16.25 Barrel. Now I’m debating between a KRG Bravo or MDT ORYX for it. This will be my first bolt rifle. I’m use to AR types of rifles. I won’t be lugging the rifle around. It will be used out of a hunting blind, tripod or some other type of rest. I’m leaning towards the MDT due to being use to the pistol grip from the AR platform.

Any of you own or have experience with both? I know the MDT weighs more but feel like it will help with less felt recoil. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

The Oryx has been described as being on the heavy side by some.

An ideal hunting rifle would be a Tikka T3x SS Lite out of the box. VERY “pack luggable.” Plastic, weather - resistant stock. One fine Glock of a rifle.

A Tikka T3x SS Lite with a 22” barrel, Badger Ordnance MAX-50 rings, SWFA SS 3-15x42mm and an empty clipazine hits 5.060kg in an Oryx. All this in a cold, aluminum chassis. Mine was meant as a cross between a hunting rifle (heavyish) and a recreational paper - punching platform.

An Accuracy International AT, with a longer barrel and depending on how it’s set up, would usually be around 20lbs total. These aren’t rifles anymore - rather, they’re more of shooting platforms.

Personal Bias: I’m old, fat, weak, slow, and almost blind. My anatomy doesn’t jive well with traditional stocks (except with the Accuracy International Thumbholes!). The MDT setup works well for me with M16A2 grips and isn’t too imposing on my limitations.

Last edited:
Reactions: oldrifleman
kinda preference. if you like a pistol grip you prob would prefer the oryx style, but i much prefer the bravo grip and ergos. I like it more than the hnt 26 but i have never shot the oryx. the full length aluminum backbone on the bravo is nice for rigidity. trypbe defense chassis might be another option to look into if you like the oryx they often on sale on dvor/optics planet and i think they are still made by mdt

Check with MDT about magazine usage with the Oryx. If I remember correctly you could only use MDT magazines (or some other limitation) with it.

Also check out the MDT Field Stock.

-Stan

Usual MDT / AICS Short Action clipazines for the shorts; might need more research for the longs.

I use alot of Oryx chassis, from 6 Dasher, 8.6 Blackout, 300 WM, to 510 Whisper, because they work for me and are reasonably priced....they are easier to shoot small groups, for prone, or in the blind shooting. They are a bit heavier.
But perfect for your application.
If walking and stalking I would go to conventional rifle stock as the one pictured for jump shooting inside 100 yds, with a low power variable...incase a longer shot presents itself.

Attachments

• 20211201_161940.jpg
    20211201_161940.jpg
    564.7 KB · Views: 41
  • 20240529_043047.jpg
    20240529_043047.jpg
    623 KB · Views: 39
  • 20240619_162156.jpg
    20240619_162156.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 40
  • 20240408_181808.jpg
    20240408_181808.jpg
    668.5 KB · Views: 41
Thanks fellas. There is about a 2lb weight difference between the KRG and MDT. The Howa 1500 barreled action weighs 6.2lbs. My LMT 308 weighs about 13lbs the way it sits. Definitely don’t want this rifle to weigh more. My hog hunting AR weighs around 10lbs. So I’d like to stay between 10lbs - 13lbs when it’s all put together. Basically the complete rifle with optic and a can.

Reactions: 45-90 and Edsel
Thanks fellas. There is about a 2lb weight difference between the KRG and MDT. The Howa 1500 barreled action weighs 6.2lbs. My LMT 308 weighs about 13lbs the way it sits. Definitely don’t want this rifle to weigh more. My hog hunting AR weighs around 10lbs. So I’d like to stay between 10lbs - 13lbs when it’s all put together. Basically the complete rifle with optic and a can.
One can build a light weight AR 10, it's a joy to carry and accurate at just 6 lbs 2 oz for the complete rifle 16" fluted barrel running 168 ELDM at an ave 2756 fps or 150 gr bonded at 2850 fps would likely do on hogs....you can use cheap LC brass to get this accuracy, so ya dont have to worry about losing brass in the field.
Give ya the build info if interested... ya don't have to hunt with a heavy AR 10.
The scope is only for accuracy testing, it shoots 1/2"moa 5 shot groups, but I run a lighter scope for general use.
But at 6 lbs ready to go, one can add whatever you like for a short, fast handling rifle with power, and accuracy.

Attachments

• 20230920_175036.jpg
    20230920_175036.jpg
    348 KB · Views: 22
  • 20230905_150313.jpg
    20230905_150313.jpg
    752.5 KB · Views: 18
I own a couple of Bravos and like them, however, I find them uncomfortable when the recoil level begins to increase. I changed my .308 chassis because of it.
I bought an Oryx for a build that I put together for my son. I was very impressed with the oryx, honestly, I preferred it over the bravo.

I recently purchased a Howa 1500 SA Barreled Action in 308 with a 16.25 Barrel. Now I’m debating between a KRG Bravo or MDT ORYX for it. This will be my first bolt rifle. I’m use to AR types of rifles. I won’t be lugging the rifle around. It will be used out of a hunting blind, tripod or some other type of rest. I’m leaning towards the MDT due to being use to the pistol grip from the AR platform.

Any of you own or have experience with both? I know the MDT weighs more but feel like it will help with less felt recoil. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.
KRG has some Howa 1500 blems up right now. I’d take an X-ray over a Bravo.

One can build a light weight AR 10, it's a joy to carry and accurate at just 6 lbs 2 oz for the complete rifle 16" fluted barrel running 168 ELDM at an ave 2756 fps or 150 gr bonded at 2850 fps would likely do on hogs....you can use cheap LC brass to get this accuracy, so ya dont have to worry about losing brass in the field.
Give ya the build info if interested... ya don't have to hunt with a heavy AR 10.
The scope is only for accuracy testing, it shoots 1/2"moa 5 shot groups, but I run a lighter scope for general use.
But at 6 lbs ready to go, one can add whatever you like for a short, fast handling rifle with power, and accuracy.

He already bought the barelled action. He's not talking about using an ar10. He's asking for recommendations on the bolt action.

OP, just to make things more difficult haha, I'll throw in the mdt XRS. I think it could be considered as well.

However, I'll add, the oryx might be better off. I say this because when I have my rifle leaning up against a corner in the deer blind, I want to be able to wrap my thumb completely around the pistol grip in order to grip it good and be able to pick it up effortlessly without spooking off what I'm about to aim at. When I have one of my traditional stocked rifles, I'm not able to grip a pistol grip from under it and lift it up as smoothly.

He already bought the barelled action. He's not talking about using an ar10. He's asking for recommendations on the bolt action.

OP, just to make things more difficult haha, I'll throw in the mdt XRS. I think it could be considered as well.

However, I'll add, the oryx might be better off. I say this because when I have my rifle leaning up against a corner in the deer blind, I want to be able to wrap my thumb completely around the pistol grip in order to grip it good and be able to pick it up effortlessly without spooking off what I'm about to aim at. When I have one of my traditional stocked rifles, I'm not able to grip a pistol grip from under it and lift it up as smoothly.
He actually did talk about his 308 LMT weighing in at 13 lbs as being too heavy...which is why I made the post on the 308 AR 10 ...in case he actually might prefer that platform, except for the weight.
Just letting him know there are options for lightening up the AR 10, down to 6 lbs.
Thanks for your concern about my post being off topic....but maybe you should read why, as the orginial poster, brought up the subject as a comparison, of too heavy.

He actually did talk about his 308 LMT weighing in at 13 lbs as being too heavy...which is why I made the post on the 308 AR 10 ...in case he actually might prefer that platform, except for the weight.
Just letting him know there are options for lightening up the AR 10, down to 6 lbs.
Thanks for your concern about my post being off topic....but maybe you should read why, as the orginial poster, brought up the subject as a comparison, of too heavy.
Yes, I read it. He brought up 2 ARs I know, and wants to be (with his bolt action) between those 2 weights lol.

Yes, I read it. He brought up 2 ARs I know, and wants to be (with his bolt action) between those 2 weights lol.
So... if you read it... my posts were all in line with the OPs discussion, through out the thread.
So why the attitude over a simple discussion?
Says alot about you.
For bolts and autos there are options to adjust the physical weight to suit the individual shooter, for "his" particular purpose. And find the right weight for each, to have the best tool, on a particular hunt.
More information, and sincere suggestions, plus personal experiences shared, are good to get him into a suitable tool or future tools, for his intended task in his particular or maybe even changing hunting endeavors.

I was looking at both of these stocks about 6 months ago. Decided to go with the Oryx becuase I had read that the grip on the Bravo was a bit "large" and I have small hands. And the grip on the Oryx can be changed out. I'm pretty happy with the stock. I will warn you that installation of the mag release is a real PIA, and you have to remove and reinstall it whenever you take the action out of the stock (at least I had to with my Ruger American action). I don't have any direct experience with the Bravo, maybe someone who has can say if they have that same issue

I was looking at both of these stocks about 6 months ago. Decided to go with the Oryx becuase I had read that the grip on the Bravo was a bit "large" and I have small hands. And the grip on the Oryx can be changed out. I'm pretty happy with the stock. I will warn you that installation of the mag release is a real PIA, and you have to remove and reinstall it whenever you take the action out of the stock (at least I had to with my Ruger American action). I don't have any direct experience with the Bravo, maybe someone who has can say if they have that same issue

On the Remington 700s actions Oryx stocks have no problem with the mag release...that is a separate screw that needs no attention, to release or install the barreled action.
Just take out the 2 action screws, leave the mag screw alone and the action comes out of the chassis. Install a different barreled action or the same barreled action, just use the 2 action screws supplied with the chassis, seat the action against the recoil lug, torque to the correct inch pounds.
Install the magazine, it works perfectly...with no hassles, with any of mine, and why I recommend them.

Don't know about the Ruger American action, so maybe someone who has that action can comment.

Reactions: johnnyvw
I have a few rifles with both Oryx and Bravo stocks. I have come to prefer the Oryx. I shoot rested only these days and the Oryx are very stable in a front rest/ rear bag set up. The standard rubber overmolded grip is very good and well placed. The butt stock is high enough to give very nearly straight back recoil which would be a good thing with a short barrel 308.

I have a Howa 308 24" heavy barrel in an Oryx. With an Athlon 5-25X50 scope it weighs 11 lb 13.8 oz., so you are well under the 13 lbs of your AR.

Couple minor things about the Oryx. The high butt stock makes it iffy to bore sight. You need a long enough cleaning rod so the handle stays clear of the butt stock. The cheek riser comes with allen screws for adjustment. Much better are finger screws that MDT sells.

On the Remington 700s actions Oryx stocks have no problem with the mag release...that is a separate screw that needs no attention, to release or install the barreled action.
Just take out the 2 action screws, leave the mag screw alone and the action comes out of the chassis. Install a different barreled action or the same barreled action, just use the 2 action screws supplied with the chassis, seat the action against the recoil lug, torque to the correct inch pounds.
Install the magazine, it works perfectly...with no hassles, with any of mine, and why I recommend them.

Don't know about the Ruger American action, so maybe someone who has that action can comment.
i guess that's a quirk of the Ruger American. I got a set of Wiha ball end drivers so that I can see if I can avoid taking off the mag release the next time I need to take the action out of the stock.

Reactions: 45-90 and UCChris
What is the ARCA spacer?

It's basically a big hunk of steel, it's just a weight that goes in between the forend and the ARCA rail.

The Bravo's grip is awesome IMO, TBH it's real close to (maybe even better than) a Manners TCS.

The Bravo is a real chassis, depending on how one configures it, you can keep them bare bones for hunting, or add weights and stuff to kit them out for PRS. Depending on how much a la carte stuff one gets from KRG, it can serve a beginner up to a pro.

The Oryx is more like a beginner's almost-chassis, fine for shooting off a bench, but if you want to do the same tricks as a Bravo can, one has to move up the price ladder to an ACC or something.

Last edited:
I have a few rifles with both Oryx and Bravo stocks. I have come to prefer the Oryx. I shoot rested only these days and the Oryx are very stable in a front rest/ rear bag set up. The standard rubber overmolded grip is very good and well placed. The butt stock is high enough to give very nearly straight back recoil which would be a good thing with a short barrel 308.

I have a Howa 308 24" heavy barrel in an Oryx. With an Athlon 5-25X50 scope it weighs 11 lb 13.8 oz., so you are well under the 13 lbs of your AR.

Couple minor things about the Oryx. The high butt stock makes it iffy to bore sight. You need a long enough cleaning rod so the handle stays clear of the butt stock. The cheek riser comes with allen screws for adjustment. Much better are finger screws that MDT sells.
Thanks. I read that the Howa 308 16.25” barreled action weighs 6.2 lbs and the Oryx weighs 4.2 lbs. Does that sound correct?

I don’t mind the weight of my AR10. It makes for a very soft shooting 308. I just don’t want the bolt rifle to weigh more than it when it’s completely outfitted with the optic, suppressor, arca rail, etc.

So... if you read it... my posts were all in line with the OPs discussion, through out the thread.
So why the attitude over a simple discussion?
Says alot about you.
For bolts and autos there are options to adjust the physical weight to suit the individual shooter, for "his" particular purpose. And find the right weight for each, to have the best tool, on a particular hunt.
More information, and sincere suggestions, plus personal experiences shared, are good to get him into a suitable tool or future tools, for his intended task in his particular or maybe even changing hunting endeavors.

Dude what? Yes I know for bolts and autos there are options to adjust the physical weight. You suggested getting the ARs down in weight, that's cool. I just happen to know from OP's previous thread that he just bought a barelled action very recently for this so wants to stock it up. I was just letting you know that.

OP, I think on the heavy barrel models with the 24" barrel are somewhere in 6 pound range. Which leads me to believe that the 16" models are gonna be somewhere in the 5 pound range.

I was looking at the 16" model in 6.5CM myself and found this question/answer on brownells page about it.

Screenshot_20240902_112635_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20240902_114249_Samsung Internet.jpg

The lower picture has a brownells rep answering that their spec has it weighing in at 5.6 pounds. I'm willing to bet that's the shipped weight. As in including the box it's in, all the foam peanuts, packing paper, etc.

No XP with the Oryx.

Have several Bravos. Very custimizable that you can "build" into and swap things in and out. Very nice for a first choice as you try and figure out what is nice, what you need, what you don't like.

Both SA, 1 for R700, 1 for Howa. Even i couldn't screw em up.

Dude what? Yes I know for bolts and autos there are options to adjust the physical weight. You suggested getting the ARs down in weight, that's cool. I just happen to know from OP's previous thread that he just bought a barelled action very recently for this so wants to stock it up. I was just letting you know that.

OP, I think on the heavy barrel models with the 24" barrel are somewhere in 6 pound range. Which leads me to believe that the 16" models are gonna be somewhere in the 5 pound range.

I was looking at the 16" model in 6.5CM myself and found this question/answer on brownells page about it.

View attachment 8492870

View attachment 8492872

The lower picture has a brownells rep answering that their spec has it weighing in at 5.6 pounds. I'm willing to bet that's the shipped weight. As in including the box it's in, all the foam peanuts, packing paper, etc.
Thanks. I’ll more than likely go with the Oryx.

Reactions: stello1001
Thanks. I read that the Howa 308 16.25” barreled action weighs 6.2 lbs and the Oryx weighs 4.2 lbs. Does that sound correct?

I don’t mind the weight of my AR10. It makes for a very soft shooting 308. I just don’t want the bolt rifle to weigh more than it when it’s completely outfitted with the optic, suppressor, arca rail, etc.
These weights sound right. Adding an ARCA rail, scope and a suppressor should still be under 13 pounds. Not sure how much an etc. weighs, hopefully less than a few ounces 😄

Reactions: PearlWhiteGT
Thanks fellas, I ended up ordering the Oryx. Found it on sale for under $380 and free shipping.

Don’t forget different colored stock sides.

They’re a great distraction when bored.

I regret not ordering them for my Accuracy International ATs a decade ago, but made sure I got them for my Oryx(es).

Reactions: PearlWhiteGT