• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Hunting & Fishing KUIU vs First Lite & your layers

WoobieJ

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 28, 2012
West Texas
Kuiu or First lite?

I like first lite's camo better, and I have heard great things but dont own anything yet.
I own some kuiu solids and one merino ls crew and they're exceptionally light and warm. Camo patterns arnt the best for cervids with both having grey in them.

Also, What does your layering / wardrobe look like with either brand?

I have some of First Lite's corrugate pants. Love em. They work well when it's hot on the ranch and for hunting. Looking at picking up some of their soft shell stuff for winter hunting. I hunt in Tx so layering is minimal.

Reactions: WoobieJ
I really like the FL merino base layers and haven't changed since trying them years ago. I also run the Kuiu attack pants and again haven't changed for years. I have a mix of mid layers and haven't found one to be better than the other.

My layering is normally FL merino top and shorts and Kuiu attack pants. If it is a bit cooler or I'm just starting off in the morning then add a mid layer jacket or pullover from either brand. I normally don't spend much time not moving in freezing temperature but if I do stop I throw my rain gear on to keep the chill out. I don't have a super cold gear setup.

For rain gear I initially had FL but it wouldn't stand up to the coastal side WA weather. The Kuiu rain gear was much, much better and I can run around in the rain all day and still be dry inside.

I have the whole First Lite system from ultra light performance wool to the heavy wool base layers and outer layers. I guess it begs the question on how you plan on using it. I tree stand hunt. So I have a lot of activity getting to my tree and climbing, followed by 8 hours of inactivity. I sweat a lot getting to and up my tree. The natural fibers used by First Lite allow me to dry quickly and stay warm, while blocking the wind. As mentioned I could care less about camo patterns. Having said that ASAT is an awesome pattern. I'm upset that First Lite no longer carries it. I have no experience with KIUI.

I have the following Kuiu, Sitka, Browning Hells canyon Speed, Scent Loc and Scent Blocker.
None have any magical qualities in my experience.
Each piece is proven in use for given need.
Comfort, waterproofness, ability to be quiet and warmth are the criteria covered by these.
Merino wool is something I've come to "need" in base layers and socks.
Darn Tough socks can be added to the list.
This is my most important piece of camo:
iipsrv.fcgi

R

I wear neither so is this does not help you then of course by all means ignore it. I have written several small articles on the HIde about the bodies micro climate, layering and clothing. I do not know everything just years of use in Alaska all year round experience.

If you are asking specifically about KUIU and First Light cant help much. Both are great, its all about opinion who is best.

Cant say much about camo since most states demand you wear hunter / safety orange on a percentage of your body. Not sure why camo covered by orange works to blend in. In addition to camo may blend in enough to keep search teams from finding you. I had a friend who went down and SAR teams walked by him several times, he blended in as he rooted in to protect him from the weather and he perished, there where tracks that walked right by his body. But someone may have different experience.

I am not a fan of wearing any type of natural fabric in the backcountry. While huge advances have been made in natural fibers, in my experience synthetics managed body micro climate better and dry much faster over night. My experience comes from miles to days in the backcountry where clothing and all kit must help survive when things so south a long away for help. Even close to home, some Boy Scouts lost their lives here less than a mile from the trail head, they could see it but the weather diminished their clothing to the point of could not make it that mile due to hypothermia and all perished.

I still prefer Capilene, its been around for decades but it is still the fabric that all others compare themselves to and try to beat. It still has the top performance across the entire spectrum. Others due a single performance better but lack in others. My base layer is a t and briefs worn snug to get the most of body core climate control.

I wear a nylon wind shirt from WildThins as my next payer, this is the single most performance layer I wear.

Capilene mid layers worn on the loose side, not baggy but loose.

Primaloft is the top performing insulation on the market. It comes in many names and designs now but doest matter, its #1 for a reason. If you study products designs and companies offerings, they try to mimic Primaloft then switch to it. Its pronounced Prime a loft. Primaloft always wins weight Vs warmth and in fact will out perform down in this matrix, its why it is called synthetic down. Ounce to ounce in weight to warmth ratio, its why it had a hard time catching on as the outdoor world would not accept a synthetic to be warm that is so light and thin. The CHloe ratio is the highest in the industry testing.

I prefer softshell with a good DWR. Great for movement and not bad for sedimentary. Too many out there now and they all out perform WB shells, even the price points. But if standing or sitting long periods of rain, hard shell is a must. And it can be cheap, simple coated nylon shell will provide rain and wind protection over a shoftshell. No need for a $500 WB shell. A simple trick to revitalized your DWR is to throw it in the home dryer on high heat for a few minutes, this will allow the DWR to melt and spread out back into the fibers. I always did this before a long trip. Of coursed, wash in DWR is best to keep the performance going I did this once a year to twice a year depending on now much abuse. .

Every company in the hunting world has taken ideas and fabrics from the mountaineering world. Add a new name and a camo pattern, now its for hunters. Many mountaineering products are a few dollars cheaper than the same in the hunting world. Many come in subdues colors also, but I still like brighter colors for the reasons stated. My yellow shell is no different than orange vest over camo to game.

One thing to remember about endorsements, pro users get free product and at times a small salary from said company to promote that company so of course they are going to say its the best on the market.

If this helps good if not sorry, its worth exactly what you paid for it,

Good luck!

I'm not brand loyal to Kuiu or Sitka. Both are great companies that produce great products. I admittedly own more Kuiu brand clothing than Sitka. I think @45.308 has some very good insight and points to make.

After really wet conditions elk hunting in 2016, I decided it was worth investing in quality rain gear. I picked up the First Lite SEAK system. It's built very well and fits perfectly over all my base and mid layers. I mostly buy Merino base layers from REI.

For upper body, my preference is a merino base layer, light puffy, a slightly heavier non-puffy layer over that. If it's really cold, add a neck gaiter and a vest. If it rains, add the First Lite SEAK jacket.

For lower body, it's a merino base and usually a pair of crye precision pants. I have found that those two combined provide enough warmth for days that don't get much above 25F , and that have no more than a light wind. If it's windy or colder than that, I'm usually paying the price. The SEAK pants will block out the wind and keep me dry.

How did you find the sizing and "fit & finish" of th FS gear? I'm looking at some of there cold weather jackets, the Chamberlin Down jacket? just wondering how warm that would be? or what temp it would be good to? Thanks

How did you find the sizing and "fit & finish" of th FS gear? I'm looking at some of there cold weather jackets, the Chamberlin Down jacket? just wondering how warm that would be? or what temp it would be good to? Thanks

@mildot326 I'd probably call first lite to discuss your hunting conditions, and they'll most certainly get you hooked up with the right gear.

As far as fit, it's right on the money for me. I'm 6'1", 195lb in summer, and 205lb when I'm hibernating during the winter. A large fits just right both from a height and width perspective.

The finish...way better than the other high-end competitors in my experience. More specifically, I won't spend anymore money on Sitka. Your experience may very from mine.

After really wet conditions elk hunting in 2016, I decided it was worth investing in quality rain gear. I picked up the First Lite SEAK system. It's built very well and fits perfectly over all my base and mid layers. I mostly buy Merino base layers from REI.

For upper body, my preference is a merino base layer, light puffy, a slightly heavier non-puffy layer over that. If it's really cold, add a neck gaiter and a vest. If it rains, add the First Lite SEAK jacket.

For lower body, it's a merino base and usually a pair of crye precision pants. I have found that those two combined provide enough warmth for days that don't get much above 25F , and that have no more than a light wind. If it's windy or colder than that, I'm usually paying the price. The SEAK pants will block out the wind and keep me dry.

Good to hear about the seak pants. I was interested in those. When it's cool and windy / wet but not terribly cold I was thinking of running those with a lighter merino baselayer underneath.... and when it gets cold and windy/wet then throw on something more substantial under them. Are they durable enough for walking though cactus / scrub brush?

@mildot326 I'd probably call first lite to discuss your hunting conditions, and they'll most certainly get you hooked up with the right gear.

As far as fit, it's right on the money for me. I'm 6'1", 195lb in summer, and 205lb when I'm hibernating during the winter. A large fits just right both from a height and width perspective.

The finish...way better than the other high-end competitors in my experience. More specifically, I won't spend anymore money on Sitka. Your experience may very from mine.
Thanks for the size comparison, that helps alot. I also have the confidence in knowing my size in KUIU whereas FL I didn't, and I wonder about consistency in fit along the FL line.

Reactions: SkyScrapin
Good to hear about the seak pants. I was interested in those. When it's cool and windy / wet but not terribly cold I was thinking of running those with a lighter merino baselayer underneath.... and when it gets cold and windy/wet then throw on something more substantial under them. Are they durable enough for walking though cactus / scrub brush?

Hmm, I think I'd rather have some sort of waxed canvas for that type of use. The material itself is a tightly woven fabric, and crazy enough, I find it to be relatively quite considering most rain suits swish quite a bit. I'm not sure if the SEAK pant would stand up to cactus; srub brush won't be an issue.

Your use case for SEAK pants works perfectly. It's all about layers, especially elk hunting. I feel like there may be a slight weight penalty going with the full up SEAK system - we're talking marginal - staying dry is worth it.

Hmm, I think I'd rather have some sort of waxed canvas for that type of use. The material itself is a tightly woven fabric, and crazy enough, I find it to be relatively quite considering most rain suits swish quite a bit. I'm not sure if the SEAK pant would stand up to cactus; srub brush won't be an issue.

Your use case for SEAK pants works perfectly. It's all about layers, especially elk hunting. I feel like there may be a slight weight penalty going with the full up SEAK system - we're talking marginal - staying dry is worth it.
awesome! Thanks a bunch for your feedback!

Don't purchase anything from REI , anti 2A and anti hunting to the bone .

@WeiserBucks Good to know. Now they're right up next to Dick's Sporting Goods on my F' Off list. The irony is, they always ask me what I need gear for, like any good retail shop would, and I always tell em' 'it's fer killin' season' ... and then a dumbfounded face follows.